Non EU national HELP!

Dear All!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I am super excited to join this forum and have found it quite helpful till now.

So a little background on myself. I am a Pakistani National, Married to a British National. We got married in Pakistan in July 2013 and have been living in Dubai ever since. We are currently both working in Dubai. and have a pretty decent life here.

The only issue is that nothing is ever long term in Dubai as you can never have permanent residency here and your visa is directly related to your job. If you loose your job your OUT. My wife has a British passport and Spanish Residency as she lived there from age 10-18 and went to school and college there. Also speaks Spanish.
We would goto Spain but the job situation in Spain right now is very very bad. So its not promising. The other option would be England but it seems we would have to spend alot of time apart from each other due to there new rules.
Even though she is earning alot more than the required 18,600 pounds/year here in Dubai. From what we understand we would have to spend alot of time apart if we went the England route.

We are now open to more options. And Malta seems like a good start.
I am open to other recommendations of EU countries which would be better for us as I am pretty new to this whole thing.

So basically I have some questions:
1. Will she have to go there before me and get a job then only will I be able to join her?
2,. Can both of us go there together and look for jobs?
3. Will I need to go on a tourist visa at first then switch over to a work visa? Will I be able to work there also?
4. How long would we have to find a job in?
5. Would the company then have to sponsor me? or will my wife have to?

Ive got loads of questions and basically need a guide about what would be a good way to go about this?
Any feedback would be much much appreciated.

Thank you,!!!
Waiting for your replies!!
:D

England has many problems at the moment, actual, imagined, and political (Mostly BS - That's politics).
The actual is unemployment, and lots of it.
The imagined (With a minor level of truth, but many lies), is the perceived massive immigration, especially from some countries, including Pakistan.
The story goes like this:
Pakistani man gets an arranged wife (That he usually beats up and generally abuses), in order to get to the UK and claim benefits.
It probably happens sometimes, but it usually total fabrication, but many people believe it, so UKIP and other extremist fool parties tend to gain political power, thus forcing major parties to do something about the problem, even if it's wildly outside reality.
Hence the UK's strict rules.
You seem likely to have a few advantages.
If you've been married a while, that'll be in your favour, as will your job, if you're a professional of some sort.
As a note, when I was last in the UK, they couldn't dump Abu Hamza and the people they really needed to get rid of, so they started targeting young girls who worked harmlessly, but illegally, in Chinese take aways.
The EU rules didn't allow the government to deport many foreign criminals, but they had to make it look as if they were taking action, and this made the numbers look good, but did bugger all about the actual problems.
The British press whipped up a load of stupid stories, adding a lot of pressure onto the government, who folded like a cheap suit.
The PM of the moment couldn't be trusted to run a chip shop, and his position in that office is an insult to past, great leaders.
The British public have zero idea what the daft government is up to as far as immigration goes, and all their policy did was make it hard for Chinese take away owners to find staff. Totally pointless stupidity.
I'm British, and have been married to an Indonesian lady for almost 8 years, but she'd have to jump through hoops to go to the UK with me.
The UK government is more than a bit pathetic on immigration issues.

If you want an example of the UK press and stupid stories, listen to this.
A daft bunch of cheap rags invented a total lie, but it was believed by many people, so added support for the racist parties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PG3xIUrv0

/rant :D

mas fred wrote:

England has many problems at the moment, actual, imagined, and political (Mostly BS - That's politics).
The actual is unemployment, and lots of it.
The imagined (With a minor level of truth, but many lies), is the perceived massive immigration, especially from some countries, including Pakistan.
The story goes like this:
Pakistani man gets an arranged wife (That he usually beats up and generally abuses), in order to get to the UK and claim benefits.
It probably happens sometimes, but it usually total fabrication, but many people believe it, so UKIP and other extremist fool parties tend to gain political power, thus forcing major parties to do something about the problem, even if it's wildly outside reality.
Hence the UK's strict rules.
You seem likely to have a few advantages.
If you've been married a while, that'll be in your favour, as will your job, if you're a professional of some sort.
As a note, when I was last in the UK, they couldn't dump Abu Hamza and the people they really needed to get rid of, so they started targeting young girls who worked harmlessly, but illegally, in Chinese take aways.
The EU rules didn't allow the government to deport many foreign criminals, but they had to make it look as if they were taking action, and this made the numbers look good, but did bugger all about the actual problems.
The British press whipped up a load of stupid stories, adding a lot of pressure onto the government, who folded like a cheap suit.
The PM of the moment couldn't be trusted to run a chip shop, and his position in that office is an insult to past, great leaders.
The British public have zero idea what the daft government is up to as far as immigration goes, and all their policy did was make it hard for Chinese take away owners to find staff. Totally pointless stupidity.
I'm British, and have been married to an Indonesian lady for almost 8 years, but she'd have to jump through hoops to go to the UK with me.
The UK government is more than a bit pathetic on immigration issues.

If you want an example of the UK press and stupid stories, listen to this.
A daft bunch of cheap rags invented a total lie, but it was believed by many people, so added support for the racist parties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PG3xIUrv0

/rant :D

What totally pointless rant!

If you have nothing useful to say please don't reply to someone who is asking for advise.

ozzy500
             There is a lot of information on the site ( https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=386361 ) regarding TCN's but I'm sure some one will post soon to reply to your specific questions.

Terry

Fred,

I have to agree with you its absolutely ridiculous. And i have to say a few bad apples have spoilt the pie for the rest of us who are actually genuine.

I met my wife in Melbourne where we worked together. Then she went to Spain for a bit and we both met at Dubai airport to goto Karachi together as it was her first time to a Muslim country. And the idea of going to Pakistan was a bit scary. But anyway we got married moved to Dubai as it seemed like the only non third world country that was safe and good for work and the standard of living was pretty good.
Its pretty unfair though how she is extremely frustrated that she cant take me to her country because other people have abused the system and now the UK has come up with ridiculous rules in order for us to be there together....

I'm working in the hotel supplies business here in Dubai. Even though this has nothing to do with the studies I did in Australia which was my Commercial Pilot License it was a way to make money and save up whilst I am able to convert my license.

Anyway doesn't look like much is going to happen that's positive for my situation in the UK anytime soon.
So we are looking for other ways to be in Europe together.

Any info on my initial post would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Pilot - terrific stuff, and potentially helpful to finding a good job.
http://www.aviationjobsearch.com/pilot/uk

As an extra thought, there are many small Indonesian airlines (and probably a bunch more around the world) that hire foreign pilots for their short haul flights, commonly small aircraft, operating between islands.
Susi air comes to mind.
It might be an alternative if you're a qualified but inexperienced commercial pilot.
I understand the pilot's lifestyle is pretty good, and you'll have great fun, as well as gain a lot of experience of another country.

Perhaps my many years in the UK has jaded me more than a little, but I have bitter memories of friends being arrested and dumped in the cells awaiting deportation, just because they did harmless work in an attempt to give themselves a start in life.
I'll avoid another rant :D

Not totally pointless as it explains why many of the difficulties are there.
That and racism really bugs me, so I'm happy to have a little rant :D

Perhaps I'm was a little too close to the issue as I had many friends from Malaysia and China that were illegal, but doing no harm, and taking nothing from the system, but were targeted because they were easy to catch.
All they wanted to do was stay a few years and make a little cash to give themselves a flying start back home - hardly hardened criminals.
Meanwhile, such as Hamza were cash machines for lawyers, using every trick they could to stay in the UK, and costing the country a fortune, whilst spouting hate for anyone who didn't agree with him.
Just as vile a racist as the far right twits, and making things difficult for honest people such as the OP.

I'll shut up now, :)

On small airlines - I know the Scottish islands have small airlines doing island hopping runs.
They tend to use small aircraft, but I have little idea of their required qualifications and experience.

https://au.totaltravel.yahoo.com/listin … ial-20039/

You may well find something there, but it gets really cold in winter.

mas fred wrote:

Perhaps I'm was a little too close to the issue as I had many friends from Malaysia and China that were illegal, but doing no harm, and taking nothing from the system, but were targeted because they were easy to catch.
All they wanted to do was stay a few years and make a little cash to give themselves a flying start back home - hardly hardened criminals.

If they were illegal did that mean they were not paying tax an NI??

Thanks to all of you for help and sharing your thoughts up until now. I hope i don't sound rude but I was really hoping for some more information about my initial questions on Malta.

Any help would be much appreciated.

We are now open to more options. And Malta seems like a good start.
I am open to other recommendations of EU countries which would be better for us as I am pretty new to this whole thing.

1. Will she have to go there before me and get a job then only will I be able to join her?
3. Will I need to go on a tourist visa at first then switch over to a work visa? Will I be able to work there also?

Ive got loads of questions and basically need a guide about what would be a good way to go about this?
Any feedback would be much much appreciated.

Thank you,!!!

Thanks,

coxf0001 wrote:

If they were illegal did that mean they were not paying tax an NI??

No, they weren't, but that's the extent of it apart from overstaying a visa.
The big moan of the more extreme right is about foreigners claiming benefits and committing crimes, but the UK is unable to deport them.
These people, whilst breaking the law, were hardly a problem for anyone, and filled a need for British business, allowing a supply of staff these businesses couldn't find elsewhere, and absolutely not from within the local workforce.
You try to find British people with abilities to speak several Chinese languages as well as English, have a knowledge of Chinese food, and willing to work antisocial hours, including at weekends.
You can't, but the staff from abroad could and would.
These people were no trouble to anyone, just trying to give themselves a boost.

I have a big problem with the lazy, trying to live off the taxpayer, regardless of where they were born, but have absolutely no problem (and a lot of respect) for people willing to work hard to get themselves going, even if they did break a few laws in the process, but hurt no one.
These were good people, so I had no care about where they were from, or if they bent a few rules.
I admit to helping them out, even though I was a British tax payer at the time, supposed to be the victim of illegal immigrants.
I did so because they were good, hard working people, something I admire.

Hi ozzy,

as your wife is British she can come here or to any other EU country and register for residence. She will have up to 6 months to find a job . She can register herself resident here in Malta and apply for your residency as her family member (spouse). Once you both have the e-residence card you can also look for work as you will be treated as an EU citizen and not need a work permit. Your wife does not need a work permit anyway.

You will need a residence of course ( rental contract) and proof of health insurance.

You will probably best come with a  tourist visa and make sure that all your documents are in English.

Findings jobs depends on what you are looking for and what you are qualified for. Don't be fooled by the fact that English is the second language in Malta. In many jobs Maltese can be very important.

Cheers
Ricky

Hey Ricky!
Thank you so much for your info. was hoping someone would reply with a reply like yours.

You mentioned that since my wife is British she can goto Malta and register for residency. Does that mean I can travel with her on a tourist visa and do the same as in look for a job as well? Do we need to show any financial statements in this regard?

Or does she have to travel there first and get a job after which I can join her when she does have one?

I definitely agree with you on the finding jobs part as it is not always as easy as it sounds. But I hope we have the skills and experience to land something decent.

We do plan to take Maltese classes here before we come as as you said I'm sure that can help.

Thanks so much for your reply. I am so grateful!!

Hi ozzy,

with a tourist visa you can travel to Malta or the EU anyway ! You will probably need her backing to get a tourist visa anyway ! Travelling with her and your correct documentation in English will make it easy.

Once you are here it will not be a big problem since she is British and has the right of free movement within the EU.

THe financial requirements for residency for EU citizens are quite low. If you don't have these amounts available for a few months before you find a job , you should reconsider coming !

Forget a job that requires Maltese! It is almost impossible to learn it in such a way that it would help finding a job !

Cheers
Ricky

mas fred wrote:

)

if they were illegal they were hardly not doing any harm,
People who want to live and work in another country should abide by the rules of that country, i dont care where they are from what they look like etc
the problem with illegal workers , is they are not covered in terms of insurance, health care and they are often treated badly and paid less than the minimum wage.
I am not a fan of people who say British jobs for British workers nor am i a racist , i believe anyone suitable to do the work should be allowed to do it however , laws are laws and it doesn't matter what the reasons are breaking the laws come with a punishment.

I do think that there are people who abuse the welfare system and their are people who dont want to work but the majority of benefit claimaints have a genuine need of help , how that help is provided depends on the individuals . I dont think people from other countries should be excluded from access to the system provided they put into the system at some point as well. I think the welfare system should be a source of help when you need it but something people pay into when they don't .

However your opinions on Britain etc were not relevant to this post  and poor Ozzy was just looking for information regarding living in Malta so maybe if you wish to discuss such points you could have started a new thread ..

Dear Ricky,

Thanks for for speedy reply.
We do have ample savings to come of course otherwise would be pointless. I totally agree with you point.

In regards to the tourist visa, do I state my true intentions of looking for work there and looking to settle with my wife? Cause I don't feel to God about lying about visas. My track record on my passport has been pretty good as I have
travelled in 2014 to Sweden, Germany and Netherlands. And also went to Spain with my wife in August 2014. Prior to that lived in Australia from 2009 to 2013 without any visa issues as a student.

I hope this would help with the process as I would never ever think about overstaying my visa in any country or supplying the wrong information in order to get a visa.

Thank you for all the information

The Indonesian Guy may have gone a little bit over the top in his rant but he had a valid point.

The UK is a very right wing conservative country and we will see how much so in this years election.

justinshine wrote:

The Indonesian Guy may have gone a little bit over the top in his rant but he had a valid point.

The UK is a very right wing conservative country and we will see how much so in this years election.

I've been very naughty on this one, opening a political can of worms, so I apologise and will shut up.
PS - I'm English, but live in Indonesia.

Hi everybody,

Here are the real questions of the initiator.

ozzy500 wrote:

Thank you,!!!
:D

It would be best if we can avoid going off topic here.

I remind you that political views are not welcomed on the forum.

Please let's help the initiator by giving him some useful information.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Friends of mine have experienced, and overcome, a similar problem. She is a UK National and he is a US citizen. They discovered a loop-hole in the law which, although perfectly legal, is not widely advertised by HM Gov! It is called The Surinder Singh Agreement.
In short, you can both come to Malta (UK national in own right and non EU National as spouse. Apply for ID cards and residency and get work permits for you both. This can even be as "self employed". After about 3-4 months you can both go to live in the UK as you hold EU work permits.
Simple!
Just type in "Surinder Singh Agreement" in Google and you will find all the information you want.
Good luck.

JT

if you have the option I would suggest going to Australia the wages are a lot higher & the standard of living way better than Malta.
I think you try to find a job  both of you before you come here.because low skilled jobs are very badly paid.