Applying for citizenship in Indonesia

Has anyone any advice for me  (bule`) who has lived here for 12 years; married a long time to a lovely Indonesian lady. We have a beautiful,  2 year old son. I am retired.
I wish to apply for citizenship and would appreciate any advice as to what to do; or what NOT to do; where to go or who to contact.
Thanking you in advance.
phylacogen

I'm also looking at this.
Information is difficult to find, and often conflicts with other information.

Some is absolute, but some immigration officers don't seem aware.

You must have been in Indonesia for five years continuously, or 10 years on and off.
You must have had a valid KITAS/KITAP for ALL of that time.

Your first move is immigration to get a SKIM.
I understand the cost is about three million, but I'm as yet unsure.
Next time I go, I'll try and snap a photo of the price list.

Sorry the info is sketchy, I'll post more when I have it - probably after Feb.

Thank you so much for whatever information you can gleen. It is difficult to find out.

As I know you can go to Kementrian/Departemen Hukum & Ham at Jakarta. Go there and asked how to do it legally.

for the best of my knowledge, you cant be an Indonesian citizen even if you stayed 100 years unless you renounce your original citizenship as in the Indonesian law there s nothing called Dual citizenship, even for kids of mixt marriage they can get dual citizenship first and they would be officially questioned once they reach  the age of 21, either to be Indonesian or Non Indonesian .if the kids choice is to keep both nationalities, they will not be endorsed of any political responsibilities such as to be a PM or minister or even to have a career in the diplomatic corps.

The above is true.
To gain Indonesian citizenship, you must renounce citizenship of your old country.

Do you also have to embrace Islam? If so to what extent?

Indonesia is a secular country.Islam is one of the main 4 th religions recognized in the constitution..So citizenship has nothing to do with religion.

Gravitas wrote:

Do you also have to embrace Islam? If so to what extent?

No, but you can if it floats your boat.

you can et this one easy after 3 years

abdo.boss wrote:

Can you please tell us more ?

What are the requirements respectively explain how "easy it is after 3 years" ?

You are Indonesian Citizen now ?

abdo.boss wrote:

No, you can't.
The minimum legal period is 5 years continuous stay.
Of course, that doesn't always apply if Indonesia really wants you.

I'm working on the definitive answer to the OP's question at the moment.

I have a long, detailed post ready for editing and adding to the sticky at the top of the Indonesia page.
It'll start with the first part of the process, the SKIM from immigration.
I'll add all the forms you need to do this, and suggested formats for letters.

It's long and complicated.

Fred wrote:

I have a long, detailed post ready for editing and adding to the sticky at the top of the Indonesia page.

Very much looking forward to it.

G2G2 wrote:
Fred wrote:

Very much looking forward to it.

I'm hoping to be in a position to post it by next week, probably Monday or Tuesday.
It should cover the first part of the process, the application for a SKIM, saying you're eligible to apply for citizenship.
I can't make any promises, but I'll try.

I'm about to add  a post to the sticky at the top of the Indonesia page.
It requires some editing, but will give you an idea.