Buying land in Mongolia

Hello everyone, this is my first time here :)

Im considering moving to Mongolia right after i finish college. I want to get ready for it so thats why im coming here.

I would really appreciate if someone could explain how is it with buying land in the rural parts of mongolia. Im most interasted in the eastern most part, khovsgol.

Is buying even necessary? This question comes from the fact that i heared that most un urbanized land is publicly owned, and the nomads there live off the grid, therefore i figures they probably dont own the land, or pay taxes, but i may be wrong.

So again, hello everyone, and i would really be gratefull for clearing up my misconceptions and confusion :)

Foreigners cannot purchase land in Mongolia

Even for Mongolians, purchasing land in Khuvsgul is difficult, since a lot of the area is protected. It's possible to lease land there. We looked into it a couple of years ago for a lot right on the lake. You have to come prepared to do a lot of paperwork and negotiating with the local government office, which keeps fairly irregular hours.

Also, this year, it appears that herders will be paying some land use taxes. It's being discussed in parliament now. The idea of simply showing up and settling on a random plot of land isn't quite so idyllic. If you want to settle here, show up, make friends, get to know the people who pasture in an area and make friends with the local government. No one survives here without friendly neighbors.