Retirement

I would love to retire in Thailand.  I have an income from SS of $1300.  Is it possible to get a visa that would allow me to live there indefinitely?  Is my income sufficient for living a simple lifestyle?   Any feedback will be appreciated.

Jack S

To make a long story short, you must be over 50 and have an income of 65, 000 baht per month or savings of 800, 000 baht or a combination of the two. With an income of $1300 per month you would need maintain a savings account in Thailand of $8-9000 US (if my calculations are correct!). You could survive on that much per month but it would be a very simple lifestyle with few amenities. My wife and I retired here last summer and, fortunately, my pension covers the requirements. Another problem in Thailand is that you are not allowed to do any kind of work if you are on a retirement visa.

Well if you are 50 years or older.
Have a monthly income 65.000 baht or more.
Or have 800.000 baht in a bank account.
Or you can combine the income and bank toget more then 800.000 pr year.

Then yes you can stay and live here on a 1 year Extension base on Retirement.

I can see today rate for 1300 US $ is 42.197,33 THB,  X 12 month =  506.364 baht. 800.000 - 506.364 = 293636 baht in a bank account. remember the numbers change if rate go down/up.

Indefinitely, I don´t think anyone can tell you that, time change, law change, requirement for long stay might change.

Personal i think the requirement pr month, and in the bank will go up in the near future, then numbers use now is very old, so Thailand might change them to be more up2date, well that what i thinking.

Be sure to have a good buffer size on money, today rate for change you money might be good, but tomorrows rate might go down a lot.

Remember to count in a good health and accident insurance.
One the cover good (read the small print), be sure you know if the insurance want you to pay the hospital first, and apply for your money later or if insurance company pay up front.
Not all have 500.000 -1.000.000 baht to pay them self first, or more.
It can go up fast if get sick or have a accident without correct insurance.

What cost to live here, it is up to you mate.
Where you going to live.
What do you need.
What you do to entertain you self.
You want a girlfriend / wife late on, you monthly expenses might go up if she don´t work and help you about paying the bills.
She might have family that need money every month, might have kid(s) the need money for school, cloth and so on.
Money to travel, you might get bored stay one place 24/7, 365 days a year after year.

Power bill, water bill, rent go up.
Food, cloth, bus trains price go up.
It will only get more expensive to live here in Thailand over the years.

you had any news as to whether it is possible to live in thailand as retired?

easy easy answers questions please 1) As a self cuest an apt. small, not far from the center of puket? 2) how much are the monthly costs of electricity, water, internet, etc. 3) how much a monthly health insurance? 4) how much it costs to buy a car of common used there? 5) how much money you must have to eat diarimente? 6) Please put prices in US dollars. thx me email is: [email protected]  I live in spain, thanks