Honest opinion. Interracial marriage & moving in

Hi guys... What are ur honest opinion on a foreigner married to a Tamil guy and moving in with him and his family?

Met my husband in UAE, fall in love and tied the knot. I have come to love his motherland and thinking of embracing his world but he suggested staying out of India (worried about my safety with news coming out regarding foreigners). I am still hoping of coming but I hope that your gathered thoughts on my confused mind will help me decide; should I go or should I not go?

Your help and experience are very much appreciated. India is my second home here in my heart.

Hello Leslie
Congrats for your marriage with our Tamil guy. You don't want to worry about the life and safety in Tamilnadu and South of India.
Its a different experience and culture compared to other parts of India.
So you can be comfortable very much. All the very best for the married life in India.

Thanks Raja.
Wishing that the people will welcome me as much as I hope to experience Tamil life.

Hello Leslie
My best wishes for your new life its an opportunity given by Almighty. About culture in Tamilnadu in India. Its wonderfull and comparing to other states in India, only in tamil nadu the Tamilians are living like one family and culture. You will  be happy there.

But it depends with your partner and his family members. Or otherwise you can live peace of mind with safe.

Best Regards,
Dr. Shaikh

My thoughts exactly Dr. Shaikh. I don't want to burden or worry my husband's family because I'm a foreigner and clueless on how to behave as part of their family. But as his wife, I am most willing to embrace their lifestyle. I am also wishing their neighbors will welcome me as their own.

Thanks Dr. Shaikh.

It is difficult to predict future and one should not prejudge a person / community but you can not ignore it as it affects your life directly. So if your spouse has the blessings of his family and relatives it should not be a problem to adjust to their lifestyle and you should do it willingly as long as it does not hear your self respect. Indian families as such are conservative and it takes time to get mingled with them as one of their own. So be positive and don't loose your confidence. After initial hick ups things will settle down and you will feel happy to be in India.

Thanks Naval Rungta.
Your reply was an eye opener for me and made me realize the things that had been troubling my mind. I should stay positive and try my best because being able to be with my husband and enjoying my new life with him is the happiest.

Leslie27 wrote:

My thoughts exactly Dr. Shaikh. I don't want to burden or worry my husband's family because I'm a foreigner and clueless on how to behave as part of their family. But as his wife, I am most willing to embrace their lifestyle. I am also wishing their neighbors will welcome me as their own.

Thanks Dr. Shaikh.

I can't speak for your chosen area, but I can tell you of my experience in Indonesia.
I had worries about the future and acceptance into local society, but all were unfounded.
This was because of my willingness to learn about and understand local culture.

It sounds as if you have the same, healthy attitude, so you'll probably be fine.

Thanks Fred. Your experience had  boost my confidence. Hoping for the best  :D

Hello Leslie,
Congrats to you and the lucky man!
Since you consider India your second home, I'm certain that you already have made ample sacrifices for the man you love. Just the way you have made this huge effort to accept this new life, your husband should do the same and make it comfortable for you. As far as living in India is concerned, we humans are the same everywhere.
If you smile at me, I will smile back. simple.

Dont worry. South India is a remarkable place with warm people. So remove all doubts from your head and go and embrace the new life. All the best!

Yeah. I did turn 180 degrees for him. *sigh* THE THINGS WE DO FOR LOVE.
My husband is a lucky man indeed more especially when he's a good boy. Hehee..... I'm just kidding.

Thanks for the reassurance Scallywagin.

Hi LesLie

Welcome to Singara Chennai, dont worry about the safety in Chennai. Hope you enjoy, The weather is too hot during summer.

What would concern me would be my partner reverting to normal behaviour, which is the guys hang out together and its not such a "couples" scene. Personally I could not live in a multi-generation family situation as I value my independence too highly. It depends on your personality and expectations. If you think you can embrace the lifestyle of the family and your husband when in his traditional surroundings then fine. If not, follow his hints and find another solution (remembering he is potentially torn in his loyalties). To put the practical into the picture, what you choose will also depend on earnings potential in each location. I get the impression you can wait to leave and he cant wait to leave either. So whatever happens someone wont get their wishes fulfilled. Think positively about the longer-term and not just the next 6-12 months.