Dual citizenship

I have a couple questions about dual citizenship.

My wife has been in the US for 30 year and is a US citizen. I heard there is a process for her to get into the systems again to be recognizesed as a Philippine citizen. What is this process?

My oldest son was born at Clark AB and if my memory is correct he received a Philippine birth certificate. Any idea what he would do if he ever decided to come back to the PI and stay? One reason is if we buy a house I would like to Will the house to him.

thanks.. duder :)

My wife became a US citizen 4 years ago, then went to the Philippine consulate in NY City with all her paperwork, including her US and Filipino passports and paid $60.  They did want to see her Filipino birth certificate.

Seems strange though, your a citizen but can't get back home.
It would seem there another way like go down to the local city office and register to vote or get a residence ID.  Well I guess with time things change and fees to be paid.
Thanks mugtech

If he have a philippine birth certificate he is capable to obtain philippine passport.

Duder wrote:

Seems strange though, your a citizen but can't get back home.
It would seem there another way like go down to the local city office and register to vote or get a residence ID.  Well I guess with time things change and fees to be paid.

Another advantage of having your wife as a dual citizen is avoiding the visa problem.  If you travel with your wife, when you enter the Philippines you will be allowed to stay for a year without having to extend your visa.  Just bring a copy of your marriage license.  I would hope you would intend to stay at least a year before you (actually your wife)would buy any property or make a long term commitment.  Good Luck.

Those who qualify for dual citizenship are Filipinos who were born in the Philippines but lost their Filipino citizenship through naturalization with another country. If your wife and son were both born in the Philippines, they could re-acquire their Filipino citizenship. Visit the nearest Philippine Embassy / Consulate in your area. Ask them about how apply for Filipino citizenship re-acquisition for both your wife and son. I think even if your son was not born in the Philippines, he could still be eligible for dual citizenship once his mom gets her dual citizenship.

I was born in the Philippines, got my US citizenship in 2001. My first child was born in the US in 2007. I re-acquired my Filipino citizenship in 2008 at the Philippine Consulate in San Francisco. Concurrently, I applied for a dual citizenship for my child, and also a non-quota immigrant visa for my husband. Both my first born and I have dual citizenships.

I've heard that doing the paperwork in the US (e.g. at the Consulate of the Philippines in LA) is easier (faster and cheaper) than if you go through the process in the Philippines. I have no evidence of this, just word of mouth.

Thirdcoastryan wrote:

I've heard that doing the paperwork in the US (e.g. at the Consulate of the Philippines in LA) is easier (faster and cheaper) than if you go through the process in the Philippines. I have no evidence of this, just word of mouth.

My wife did it in New York City in 2008, very easy, costs a few bucks

There is a bit of twist with the rule about being born in the Philippines and having a Philippine birth certificate.  Not always that simple or clear:  I was born in the Philippines, father U.S. citizen by birth (who was also born in the Philippines, by the way)..and mother Filipino citizen.  The twist is that, I was deemed a U.S. citizen by birth according to U.S. Nationality Act of 1941.  So I was NOT NATURALIZED as a U.S. citizen.  I already had a U.S. Passport before even leaving the Philippines.  According to the Philippine Consulate in Los Angeles, CA....I am not eligible to obtain dual citizenship...because I was not naturalized!  Even though I am practically a native-  besides having been born and raised there....speak Tagalog (and a couple of other dialects) as fluent as any native; grew up in the culture and customs of the Philippines; educated there (until my senior year of high school); returned to the Philippines numerous times during my assignments in Japan and Thailand..I was even stationed in the Philippines with the U.S. Army; and have a strong desire to live the rest of my life there...yet, I am not eligible to obtain a dual citizenship.  For me to acquire Philippine citizen, I would have to reside in the Philippines for the required time just like any foreigner to qualify to apply for Philippine citizenship (I already lived there some 18 years!).
   There must be something in the ruling that's not quite right.  My two cousins on my father's side (who were also born in the Philippines as a U.S. citizen...just like my situation) were deemed U.S. citizens at birth...who later moved to the U.S., served in the U.S. Armed Forces...retired, (just like me) and returned to the Philippines (now retired there).  Both were able to acquire dual citizenship.  Perhaps someone out there has a better insight into this ruling? 
   I was wondering if, since I have a copy of my certified/notarized birth certificate, and it shows that I am a Filipino citizen on the certificate, simply show that to the immigration agent at NAIA upon arrival (along with my U.S. passport, of course)...and have a long-term visa (Balikbayan) stamped on my U.S. Passport...and just leave it at that?   I have another cousin (my mother's side) who was a naturalized U.S. citizen...does it that way.  He is able to stay in the Philippines a year at a time without having to go through all that complicated process.  All he does is simply show his U.S. passport to the Immigration officer at the airport (which shows he was born in the Philippines).  My passport shows I was born in Manila, Philippines.  Appreciate comments from those who know for sure.

Just shooting in the dark here, have you applied for a Filipino passport from within the Philippines? I would think that once you get that, it doesn't matter what is stamped in your passport.

Thanks, Thirdcoastryan.  First of all...I currently reside in the U.S.  I checked...you must be a citizen of the Philippines to obtain a Philippine Passport.  Obviously, even if I were residing in the Philippines....I'd still have to show some documentation to prove I can legally reside in the Philippines, right?  Birth certificate alone is insufficient.  Read the message again that I posted 15 mins ago that clearly explains my situation.

You had 2 choices to regain your Filipino citizenship; actually when you are below 18, you are both Filipino and an American Citizen; this really the dual citizenship concept; when you reach 18 years of age, you are given a choice to select what citizenship you prefer to be; the new law RA 9225 under the former president Cory Aquino which they often call dual citizenship is actually should be properly worded reacquisition or retention of Filipino citizenship;

You are qualified to apply under this law being a natural born citizen;

Cynthiavilla wrote:

You had 2 choices to regain your Filipino citizenship; actually when you are below 18, you are both Filipino and an American Citizen; this really the dual citizenship concept; when you reach 18 years of age, you are given a choice to select what citizenship you prefer to be; the new law RA 9225 under the former president Cory Aquino which they often call dual citizenship is actually should be properly worded reacquisition or retention of Filipino citizenship;

You are qualified to apply under this law being a natural born citizen;

Thank you Cynthiavilla; that's encouraging.  I will contact the Philippine Consulate again and refer them to RA 9225 you quoted.  I am surprised they didn't know about this law when I first inquired.  I sent them a certified copy of my birth certificate and a full written explanation of my circumstances.  They simply turned around and told me I was not eligible...not even to obtain a Balikbayan visa.  Yet, when I was stationed in Korea (with the U.S. Armed Forces),  the Philippine Consul at that time authorized me multiple entry visa valid for a whole year.  I traveled to the Philippines just as a tourist at that time.

Your welcome! Just get the names of these people that makes your life difficult! I will try to help; just imagine if Filipinos run Canada, I do not think I will be happy to stay there; by the way I am a Fil-Canadian and I miss Canada so much!

Cynthiavilla:  Thank goodness I don't think it's gotten to that point yet (in Canada).  By the way, I live in the little town of Blaine, WA...it is so close to BC, Canada that if you go to the town park and walk on the far edge of the park... just take another step over a narrow ditch...and you're in Canada!  No fence, not even border guards.  Well, maybe they're hidden in the woods nearby.   But all the years I've lived in Blaine I've never driven to Vancouver or even Surrey or White Rock...which you can see from our harbor.  I'm in Florida right now...but definitely visit that part of BC for sure when I get back to Blaine later this month.  Again, thank you...and will try the Philippine Consulate in Seattle when I get back home...hope they don't give me a hard time.

I have been in Blaine, Seattle, Oregon, Hayward, and of course Las Vegas, Universal Studio and Disney Land! I have several relatives there in Daly City and in Oakland!

We buy gasoline in Blaine; we live in Richmond, BC a short drive to Blaine and Bellingham! Love shopping in Bellingham!

You should visit Vancouver; we call this place beautiful British Columbia! Drive to the Rockies, mountains are also remarkable; miss the long drivings and the cleanliness and the smiling Canadians!

Just Blog me if you encounter a road block in your application for dual citizenship! It is kind of strange that you will be denied but my guess is that the wrong law is being applied! Goodluck

You're well traveled!  You've visited the same places I used to hang around at.  And Daly City....have a good friend in Daly City from the Philippines; we were in the same Army Reserve unit in San Francisco.   Will definitely drive to BC when I return home.    Heard so much of the Filipino restaurants in Vancouver.   I looked up RA 9225.   It reads very clear to me.  But the process requires NSO certified copy of the birth certificate.  The one I personally obtained in Manila was stamped "Certified Xerox Copy" and signed by the Registration Officer.  This copy is not valid then?  Does it mean I have to get one certified by the NSO?  Can I ask a relative in Manila to obtain it for me?   Can it be requested by mail?

You can get the original through an authorized representative/relative; give your relative a written authorization and a xerox copy of your I.d. Authorizing her to secure a copy of your Birth Certificate; there is a fee of Php300 for an original copy of NSO birth certificate; instruct your relative to get originals at least 2 copies; place this also on the authorization;

It is easier if it is done by your representative;

Cynthiavilla wrote:

You can get the original through an authorized representative/relative; give your relative a written authorization and a xerox copy of your I.d. Authorizing her to secure a copy of your Birth Certificate; there is a fee of Php300 for an original copy of NSO birth certificate; instruct your relative to get originals at least 2 copies; place this also on the authorization;

It is easier if it is done by your representative;

Thanks, again.  You've been most helpful.  I'll contact a cousin in Manila to get the ball rolling.  By the way...this next question is trivial..but have been curious for sometime to learn how you say "How are you?" in REAL Tagalog.  No, not "Kamusta ka?"...that's derived from the Spanish.   So how would one say it in true Tagalog?  Anyone can chime in anytime with the right answer.

Global-Venturer wrote:

Thanks, Thirdcoastryan.  First of all...I currently reside in the U.S.  I checked...you must be a citizen of the Philippines to obtain a Philippine Passport.  Obviously, even if I were residing in the Philippines....I'd still have to show some documentation to prove I can legally reside in the Philippines, right?  Birth certificate alone is insufficient.  Read the message again that I posted 15 mins ago that clearly explains my situation.

Hey Global: I'm not sure how I failed to address the issue, like I said once you have a Filipino passport the stamp in the US should't matter. Having said that, I would schedule a short trip allowing enough time for the process given the limited duration of the stay they may think you have until you can obtain the passport and prove otherwise (also, you'll not want to stick around until you've got the passport in hand, anyway). Or I would try in San Francisco one more time before going over.

I get the perspective about losing your citizenship via failure to claim and not via naturalization thus making RA 9225 inapplicable, but I hope that you are successful!

The birth certificate can be ordered online, now! https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Default.aspx

I suspect you have done this, but I will ask anyway: have you ever looked at the retiree visa as a fallback? It's not as good as citizenship, but better than being a tourist!

Hi actually that is the Tagalog of how are you! Remember our history, we have been under the Spaniards for a century; took Spanish in College before but in that language I never encountered kamusta the greetings are always buenas Dias (good day) etc; como amenezio usted! (Good practice of my so little to remember Spanish lessons)

For what it is worth, Hey, I have a cousins who is half American, half French, nieces and nephews who are half Chinese, half Arabian, half Egyptian and they are no less Filipino and have all the right to stay for better and worse in the Philippines; look at our actors and actresses most of them are mestizo and mestizo;

Great to talk with you and may I ask from what province here in Philippines your mother was born?

Cynthiavilla wrote:

Hi actually that is the Tagalog of how are you! Remember our history, we have been under the Spaniards for a century; took Spanish in College before but in that language I never encountered kamusta the greetings are always buenas Dias (good day) etc; como amenezio usted! (Good practice of my so little to remember Spanish lessons)

For what it is worth, Hey, I have a cousins who is half American, half French, nieces and nephews who are half Chinese, half Arabian, half Egyptian and they are no less Filipino and have all the right to stay for better and worse in the Philippines; look at our actors and actresses most of them are mestizo and mestizo;

Great to talk with you and may I ask from what province here in Philippines your mother was born?

Likewise, enjoyed talking with you.  Thanks about the lesson in linguistics....I just wondered how did our pre-Hispanic ancestors greeted each other...I'm sure they didn't say "O, kamusta ka?"  Maybe I should spend time with the Mangyans of Mindoro who still, today, can write in the ancient Baybayin script. 
    Anyway, my mother's family (the  De la Vega & Alcantara) as I recall from conversations of our elders, came from Zambales...but my mother was born in Manila.  I have been very interested in researching my family genealogy (both parents) for a long time...and this is one of several projects I have been wanting to do when I get back to the Philippines.  Unfortunately all my mother's siblings have passed away and seems that their kids (my cousins) were never interested in their ancestry.  I also wanted to visit the town of Paniqui, Tarlac....where my father was born (but grew up in Lanao).  His mother was a native of Paniqui.  His father is from Ohio...stationed in the Philippines during the Spanish-American War.   I know very little about my mother's side...only that her mother (lola ko) was a Spanish aristocrat, native of Asturias, Spain.   Story goes that she eventually returned to Spain where she passed away.  I am collaborating with a younger brother who is deeply interested in family ancestry as well...in fact, he too, is working on getting dual citizenship so he can get back there unhampered (as far as being able to stay as long as necessary).  He is an  engineer in California at present.  He is into ethnographic studies as a sideline...having spent much time with the mountain Mangyans of Mindoro.  I too, am very interested in ethnographic field work (my degree from California is in Anthropology (ethnology).  Those are the two main projects I'd like to immerse myself into.  I intend to stay busy, actively involved in anything I can get my hands on for as long as I am able (physically and mentally).  Although I am pensionado now...I learned during the first six months of my retirement that I don't do well being retired.  Not that I need to work to make a living...I just need to keep my body and mind active and fully engaged in life.   
  Siyanga pala, I looked up RA 9225 and this is how this law reads: 

Republic Act No. 9225 otherwise known as the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003 declares that natural-born citizens of the Philippines who become citizens of another country shall be deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship.
Who qualifies to apply under the Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003?
Only natural-born citizens of the Philippines who have lost their Philippine citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country may retain/reacquire their Philippine citizenship under this Act.

As stated-  "by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country...."  OK, then...so far I am a natural-born citizen, the fact that my birth certificate shows my citizenship at birth as Filipino...and the fact that I was born in Manila.  Now, the next part of the sentence..."by reason of their naturalization as citizens of...".   Do I interpret this literally...just as it is written?  Or assume that "naturalization" can also be any other legal means of becoming a citizen of (such and such country)?  and not just through the usual process of meeting residency in country requirements, formally applying for citizenship, taking the citizenship exam, showing that one is a well-behaved, law-abiding future citizen, taking the oath of allegiance...etc, etc.  Could acquiring citizenship by the law of the blood (jus sanguinis) also meet the intent and meaning of "naturalization"?  And meet the requirement for Philippine citizenship based on the law of the land-  jus solis?  How I acquired U.S. citizenship is simply...years after I was born...before turning 18, my father registered me with the U.S. Embassy in Manila...and was deemed to be a U.S. citizen from then on.   And that was the basis for my being able to obtain a U.S. Passport while still living in the Philippines.  And just before I turned 18...my parents decided to send me to California.  I really didn't want to leave...but at 17...I didn't have much of a choice.   
  Does the word "naturalization" need further clarification?   Could it be that this what the official at the Philippine Consulate whom I initially contacted was referring to?  Hence, since I was NOT NATURALIZED...I am therefore, ineligible to apply to re-acquire Philippine citizenship.  One more time...maraming salamat for helping me sort out this ruling.

Checked again the book; there is como esta usted! That is I think where the kamusta may have been derived!

Naturalization means you took allegiance to another country - simply put!

There is another law for becoming a Filipino Citizen RA9139 - this does not apply to you because you are a natural born citizen and considering the blood that run through you is half Filipino ( our law follows jus sanguini by blood) because your mother is a Filipina by blood being born of Filipino parent/s;

our law follows by blood unlike the US by land! So if a pregnant woman gives birth in the US soil, the child acquires dual citizenship; he is given a choice at 18th to take allegiance! In your case you lose it; hence RA9225 applies to you;

The key for being a Filipino by birth is the blood that is in you! that is why there are cases in the states, where the states has to deport the Filipina mother because she is not a US citizen but her child who is born in the US soil automatically becomes American and can legally stay! Actually, this scenario does not apply to you unless your parents were both citizens of another country but only born in the Philippines or simply a permanent resident;

Hey been also in Mindoro great for motorbiking and have you been to Kalinga and Camiguin - beautiful places; Camotes island, sun thunder etc etc

Will dissect your questions later need to go! Duty calls;

Cynthiavilla wrote:

Checked again the book; there is como esta usted! That is I think where the kamusta may have been derived!

Naturalization means you took allegiance to another country - simply put!

There is another law for becoming a Filipino Citizen RA9139 - this does not apply to you because you are a natural born citizen and considering the blood that run through you is half Filipino ( our law follows jus sanguini by blood) because your mother is a Filipina by blood being born of Filipino parent/s;

our law follows by blood unlike the US by land! So if a pregnant woman gives birth in the US soil, the child acquires dual citizenship; he is given a choice at 18th to take allegiance! In your case you lose it; hence RA9225 applies to you;

The key for being a Filipino by birth is the blood that is in you! that is why there are cases in the states, where the states has to deport the Filipina mother because she is not a US citizen but her child who is born in the US soil automatically becomes American and can legally stay! Actually, this scenario does not apply to you unless your parents were both citizens of another country but only born in the Philippines or simply a permanent resident;

Hey been also in Mindoro great for motorbiking and have you been to Kalinga and Camiguin - beautiful places; Camotes island, sun thunder etc etc

Will dissect your questions later need to go! Duty calls;

No rush; I'll wait to see what you come up with.  Actually...since my father is half Filipino, half American ....his mother being a native Filipina from Tarlac...who even has a truly native family name- Pamintuan; on my mother's side...her father is truly a native, dark complexioned Manila native...named Alcantara; but my grandmother, mother's side may not have Filipino blood in her...as both her parents are from Spain; so I believe I meet both jus sanguinis...from parents, and jus solis, from having been born in the country.  How much better can that get?

Sorry to say...I've never been to Mindoro.  The farthest north I've been is Baguio...and along the coast to Ilocos Sur.  Spent a year in Iloilo with relatives when I was in elementary school.  My biggest dream (one of the many projects I'd love to get into)  is to attend as many town fiestas as I can manage, starting from the Batanes Islands...across Luzon, Mindoro, the Bicol region, the entire Visayas, Palawan...and to Davao.  And if I don't run into trouble....even the entire Sulu Archipelago.  I want to write about each fiesta experience, take lots of photographs and compile them into a sort of photo-journalistic project...even a book, maybe.  About two years should do it.  Just a fun hobby to do, I suppose...for family, friends; for posterity.

That is fun going to fiestas! I have a dream to go around the world but decided to travel 1st in the Philippines and Asia; really lucky get to travel and work at the same time!

This coming March I am going to Cebu for a business but instead of flying will go for a long driving with my rottweiler; I have done this twice now but not after Yolanda and with my baby rottie;

I know Alcantaras' from Manila; my lineage is that my grandfather is half blooded Spanish so people say I look more like a latina; my father though has an American blood somewhere; my grandfather who's last name villa was buried in Iloilo at Haro;  I have also relatives there! I was Born in a Manila but my father was from the Visayan (Leyte) my mother was from the North (Pangasinan);

I think the give away in your case is the accent! There are many Filipinos here who are mestizos but they can speak Tagalog with no American accent! Just a guess though!

Live your dream!

Cynthiavilla wrote:

Your welcome! Just get the names of these people that makes your life difficult! I will try to help; just imagine if Filipinos run Canada, I do not think I will be happy to stay there; by the way I am a Fil-Canadian and I miss Canada so much!

That is a discriminatory remark or at the very least condescending. By Filipinos, that includes your parents, uncles, aunts, siblings and YOU. So you mean, if they, and you too, run Canada, you will not be happy to stay there? Just because you suffixed "Canadian" to your citizenship does not mean you are less of a Filipino than your relatives who were immigrants who probably started out without a Canadian citizenship.

Practice humility. There is a metaphor in the Philippines about the fly who thought of itself as better / higher than the carabao / water buffalo, because it flew on top of the Philippines' national animal's head. You should not act like you know better than those who work at the consulate, asking for names on who gave global-venturer the correct answer.

About the dual citizenship issue, what the global-venturer should have done is ask WHY he was not considered for dual citizenship. Sometimes, things can just get lost in translation.  You, global-venturer and my 4 year-old daughter are in the same situation: both born here in the Philippines and also reported at the US Embassy as being born to American parents.  As far as I know, she has dual citizenship.  It could be that what the officer at the consulate had meant was that you are actually currently considered a Filipino citizen and do not need to re-acquire Filipino citizenship. And all you needs to do is submit an original NSO birth certificate to get a Philippine passport.Ask again the consulate, and ask nicely, maybe make small-talk, and they will be more receptive.

Honestly, I would like to live in Canada if Filipinos ran it. Filipinos are a hardworking people, very self-sacrificing for their families. They are humble. They can adapt, or at force themselves to adapt to improve their financial status, and enjoy a better life, such as being able to send their kids to college. (You do know how hard it is to adapt from the 90+ degrees F for most of the year in the Philippines, to the -20 degrees in Canada during winter in higher than knee-length snow.)  Whether they are teachers in Singapore, doctors in a war-torn country, nurse in Great Britain, IT / computer programmer in America or a domestic helper in Dubai, they make very good employees who are asked to come back if their contract expires.

Sigh! Very Filipino! I am a Filipino but even my parents will be ashamed of what the Filipinos are doing now! You are on denial! Why do you think we have more street children than before! Why are the elderly as well on the street instead of being a guiding light! Why is aids growing faster here in this country! Why is it there are more abuses of children than ever! Ask why! Why are our women leaving their children marrying foreigners! Learned Filipinos who really studied and worked here and abroad should wake up! There is no longer a family here!

I have referred the global-trotter on the particular laws! You based your opinion on your experience! If you look closely on my messages to him you will see it is a learned suggestion!

Yours is merely speculative! There a lot of Filipinos who are hardworking but they are not enough! I am a dual citizen and has been in Canada since I was in my 20's and coming back here in the Philippines that we regress!

Have you read the blogs of the foreigners how they look at our country! I am not discriminatory but neither I am blind!

Sad the arrogance of most of us!

I love not to dignify this blog! But the words you use "as far as I know" will not hold water for reasons that the phrase is speculative! Please do not attack my suggestions; I thought this blog is for learning! I have given my experience of this country and it is of my own! Hopefully, this patriotism of yours is shown through going to slams; giving donations to the "grasa" kids; and making a difference to this country!

Cynthiavilla wrote:

I guess to you  "just imagine if Filipinos run Canada, I do not think I will be happy to stay there;" is patriotic. Ask a Filipino if that statement is not offensive. (I even asked my American husband if that is offensive, and he said that it's actually discriminatory) Why will you not want to stay in Canada if Filipinos ran it? Do you think they are incompetent to run a country? What Filipinos need is an inspiration. Not a let down.

Your statement that "a lot of Filipinos are hardworking but they are not enough" is also speculative and generalized.
The reason why people are in the streets is because of poverty, not because they are not hardworking. The reality is there are not enough jobs here. Many are not "estambay" by choice.  They do want to break away from that. If given a chance to work abroad, they would jump at the opportunity, even if it meant risking their life. (Just look at the number of abuses and even death suffered by domestic helpers working abroad.) But that can't be done with just a flick of a finger.

You statement: "Why are our women leaving their children marrying foreigners! " is also generalized, and may be offensive to some. There are women who married foreigners to help improve the lives of their children. I know of a foreigner who believed that part of the reason why his Filipina wife married him was to help in giving her child proper treatment and therapy for a birth defect, which he doesn't mind at all. That Filipina was concerned for her family, and so are many others.

Your statement "Why are the elderly as well on the street instead of being a guiding light! " is also generalized. There are elderly on the street anywhere in the world. I run a small business. Most of my workers earn a little above the minimum wage. One might think that with proper budgeting, there would be enough left over to send their children to college. But it's not the case, as some of them are supporting their elderly parents, and sometimes even grandparents. They do not want them out in the streets.

One of my workers sent his son to college for one year. The son does want to graduate. But his family couldn't afford it and got in debt, including borrowing from me. Eventually, they had no other choice but to stop his education. So, I offered to shoulder his tuition and school expenses. I now have 2 scholars in my company, who, I believe, once they graduate, would have a better chance at a better life. Go to the grassroots level and you will find the many redeeming qualities of Filipinos, for them to be worth helping. And by helping, I mean something beyond giving a handout to a "taong grasa". Or at least be an inspiration, like our OFW's, who are now called as the "bagong bayani" (new heroes) as their remittances help in the country's progress, people with whom Filipinos can be proud of and worth emulating.

About the issue of "dual citizenship", the gist of my advice to globalventurer was for him to ask again the Consulate, who are knowledgeable in Philippine laws, about his issue because it's possible they had a miscommunication, or as I said, "lost in translation". English is not everyone's first language. With regards to saying that I'm assuming that my daughter is a dual citizen, I'm just stating my experience. I didn't tell globalventurer that he has dual citizenship. What I told him is to ask again the Consulate. And neither did I interpret Philippine laws as I am not an attorney. But you did. Are you an attorney or working for the Consulate?

As I said, I will not dignify what you say! Hopefully, you are patriotic in actions! go out there! Refer to the laws and not experience! Walk the talk! Poverty is a result not a cause! Filipinos are not always poor! You are in a comfort zone! This is my last response to this dual citizenship issue! I am not here to debate! I am here to help and to also say what I see, and the experience I have because of my work with the Filipinos!

We never marry foreigners because we want to improve our lives! We marry for love;

You have good english I give you that, go out and teach the children this language; have you tried speaking with them; anyway goodbye!

Cynthiavilla wrote:

As I said, I will not dignify what you say! Hopefully, you are patriotic in actions! go out there! Refer to the laws and not experience! Walk the talk! Poverty is a result not a cause! Filipinos are not always poor! You are in a comfort zone! This is my last response to this dual citizenship issue! I am not here to debate! I am here to help and to also say what I see, and the experience I have because of my work with the Filipinos!

We never marry foreigners because we want to improve our lives! We marry for love;

You have good english I give you that, go out and teach the children this language; have you tried speaking with them; anyway goodbye!

Whether poverty is a result or a cause, we cannot really determine, like which came first, the chicken or the egg. The important truth and reality is currently there are many Filipinos mired in poverty. Like being stuck in a mud hole they can't swim out of, a vicious cycle wherein their children will also get stuck in. What they need is not crumbs or scraps thrown at them to eat for a day, but to be pulled out with a rope even just to the edge, and also encouragement, an inspiration, so they can lead a better life. OFW's, the "bagong bayani" play the part of both the rope and the inspiration.

Thank you, by the way, for the complement that I speak good English. But I do find it laughable that you are telling me how to run my life.  Though I speak good English, it doesn't mean that I can teach it. I'm not qualified as I don't have a degree in education or the training to teach. I'm a business person with a degree in economics. By running a business, I do help out 10+ people earn a living.

What I do to go beyond just paying their wages is helping send 2 teenagers, children of my workers, to college. (Their parents did not graduate from college.) After one of them graduates, which is next year, next in line is my children's nanny. She is the best nanny I've ever employed, and she has expressed a desire to take up HRM, even if it's  just part-time, and I admire her for that.

I am Filipina, and I did marry my husband for love. We have a lot of things in common. He's the same age bracket as I am, exactly 4 years and 3 months younger than I am. There are Filipinas in their 20's who marry foreigners who are old enough to be their parents, maybe even grandparents. I asked one of these women why they married a 60+ year old man. She said "it's because I love him, and, you know . . ." "But it's going to be hard for me in the future when I will play the part of caregiver, but I accept it, as my husband shoulders anyways my siblings' tuition in college." I'm not saying that this is the case for all Filipinas. Just saying that not everyone marries for just love.

Cynthiavilla wrote:

Never?  I can give you two instances right here in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, where the Filipinas married Americans to get to the USA and divorced them shortly after arriving.  One said"Yes, he has a nice house and cars, but he is not as rich as other Americans"  The other one said  "He is too much older than me"  Did he age more than her that first year?  To the best of my knowledge they were both one year older than when they married. Of course I know many others who married for love, or if not are still pretending they did.  I never use the word never except when it comes to my describing my use of the word.