Durians in Tanzania/Zanzibar

Hello,

I just joined this forum hoping to connect with folks living in Zanzibar/Tanzania who are familiar with durians.

I've been working with durian for the past three years in Southeast Asia. I've always heard that there are durians grown in Zanzibar, but I don't know much about the scene there. I don't even know when the season is! I've heard possibly August or January (or both?).

I'm getting in touch now because I am running the first international survey of people who love durians. So far we have had participants from over 30 countries, and I am hoping to record the opinions and thoughts of durians lovers and growers in Africa as well. The survey is here:  surveymonkey.com/s/durians

Anyway, I hope to learn more about what people are doing with durian in Zanzibar and plan a trip to visit someday. Much thanks for any and all feedback!

Hey, you!

I'm a chronic Durian lover, ever since I was a child I believe. I live in Tanzania, and I do reckon the season for Durians is just getting started and I presume this because my father brought home a couple recently. I am not on-point on the seasons for this exotic fruit, all I fail to understand is why some people don't relish it! haha. You ought to definitely take  a trip down to Zanzibar to try one of these babies - they are a little different from the ones in Southeast Asia.

I feel it's a fruit that's still pretty undiscovered, though even widely known, but I hope that more people give themselves the liberty to try it and savor its goodness. I understand everyone possesses different tastes and I respect that. However, they ought to give it a chance at least once.

I am about to dive into your survey now. I think it's great that you are doing this! You sound passionate about the fruit, and well, I love the sound of that! :)

If you need any more information, let me know.

Blessings,
Zai

Hello fruitgeek and welcome to Expat.com :)

Please post this ad in the Looking for testimonies in Tanzania section, it is in fact the most appropriate section for your ad.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi Zai,

Thanks so much for responding! Wow, it's so awesome to get in touch with at Tanzanian durian lover :)

How are durians a little different from those in Southeast Asia? I'm intrigued!
What month should I visit to have the best durian experience?

We will be doing a second tier of questions based on the results of this survey, it would be great if I could contact you again when we are ready :)

Thanks again! And please tell all your durian loving friends in Tanzania about the survey too. It would be great to compare the experience of Tanzanian durian lovers with those in other regions.
- Lindsay

i enjoyed reading about Durian.

I just love it

May i know.. When the durian season in zanzibar?

Hai zai..may i know when the durian season in zanzibar?

I really love durians!  :) The season should be in November. I bought them from a vendor along Mosque street here in Dar es Salaam last year in November; he said they were from Zanzibar. They're sweet but not as fleshy as the ones grown in Brunei or Malaysia, plus they're white - not yellow; FruitGeek must have realised this by now. :P

They also grow rambutans in Zanzibar, known as "shoke shoke" in Kiswahili; another one of my fav fruits! These are available during July.