Las Terrenas the best place to retire

I second that welcome.  Stay on the north coast and you have almost no worry about hurricrnes, it's not an issue.

If you wanto to have really information about Las Terrenas and Samanà go on YouTube search and write "Guido la Guida"  you can see everithing you need - the las terrenas real life style!

The winter months are not as humid as during the summer time, so you should be fine. And cannot agree more with Bob, you have to come and try, this country is not for everybody (and I can speak from our family experience)

Not only that,  all areas do not suit everyone!  You need to check out various areas for a match....

I have questions about general life in Las Terrernas. I am young and am considering taking a job as a teacher in Las Terrenas. I would like any and all information about this area! I am in my twenties, so are there a lot of young people around? What do people do to keep busy? Is it easy to get around? Easy to meet people/make friends? Are there additional tutoring (English) jobs available to make extra money? What is the cost of living? What do people wear? Is it really humid? Or just warm? I am just curious and looking for information to help me make a decision! It seems like a beautiful place!

Hi, I live in Portugal and me and my husband are thinking in moving to Las terrenas for our retirement, I speak very well spanish because my mother Is from spain. We both speak french and Inglish. Now, we are looking a house, to buy,and some business to investe, any,one as some opinião? Thank you,so much.

Mila welcome to the DR forum.  Las Terrenas is a great place to live ... for some. The DR is not for everyone.  Before you make any purchases or any firm decisions you need visit for an extended period of time and live in the community, not at a resort. Vacationing here and living here are totally different. 

The DR is a large country and while here you should explore other areas besides Las Terrenas to make sure that this is the place you want to settle into.

You will find lots of good folks with good information for you here on this board to please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Bob K

Listen to Bob!
He is correct.
Come & visit for a couple of months, look around.
Then look around some more!
Property takes a long time to sell if you have to.
Nuff said, come visit some more!

Welcome Mila,  good  advice coming at you from Bob.

Check out various areas and various business ideas.  It is not easy to open or invest in businesses here. Be very very careful.

Read lots of the threads here for good background info!

Hi you can look these channel the first one channel on youtube for Las terrenas
https://www.youtube.com/guidolaguida

Mila44 wrote:

Hi, I live in Portugal and me and my husband are thinking in moving to Las terrenas for our retirement, I speak very well spanish because my mother Is from spain. We both speak french and Inglish. Now, we are looking a house, to buy,and some business to investe, any,one as some opinião? Thank you,so much.

Hi everyone

I was reading this topic, and to be honest if I could I would live my entire live from May until the end of September in Canada, and the rest there in D.R. each year. hahaha

Just arrived and the weather here right now is amazing, just 16 degrees.

Cheers

Hi everyone, thank you for your replys. I was last year in Boca Chica and I didn't liked, many turists, to much noise and prostitucion. I stay in a rental apartment and go for shopping in local , because we want to see the way of life, the prices of food, the general living. I use to see the videos of Guido, see the many interviews of the Italians that moved to Las Terrenas. I have a portuguese friend who married a local girl and live in Santiago de los Caballeros, it was him who talk to me about las terrenas because he usual go there spend days in the beach.
Now I want to do the same, rent an apartment and spend about two weeks there.

Beste regards

Emilia

Hola Emilia, as we say in English you've got suck it and see (if you like it), let me know when you're coming and if it's not too debilitatingly hot we can have a coffee or beer or something and you can ask me all the questions you like!!

Thanks Granca2

Will be nice have some fresh beer, I supose for coffe is too hot.
Do you like been there? if you're like me, some nice people, beach,sun, and quiet it's enough for living.
I'll give my email for someone who as some advices i'll be thankful

regards from Portugal for everybody

Moderated by Gavind
Reason : personal contact/email info

Mila44 you might want to remove your email address from your post. It is never a good idea to post personal info (email, phone, address) on a public forum.

It sounds like  you have a plan an you very well may "fit" in las Terrenas.   

Funny you want to come here and Pat and I have thought of going to Portugal for a year or two when we finally leave here.  Fell in love  with the country when we where there for a month two summers ago.

Bob K

Hi bob

Portugal is a wondewfull place to spend vacations with money, for living is not so good.
There's no work, the people who works are very bad paid, our graduates don't earn enough for living and they go abroad to get jobs.
The old people are starving,some died alone, no money for drugs, no money for retirements, strikes everyday in the police, que airlines,the teachers, the doctors, the nurses.
Portugal as eveything to became a rich and well developed country, but there´s to much thieves, and corruption in the goverment.
There's the actual picture of my country, and if you are older then 35 forget about getting work.

best wishes

Won't need to work (other than maybe some volunteer work) as we are retired.

Bob K

Very well then
You are going to need about 2000 euros per month for living here.

regards

That is not bad considering the current exchange rate between the USD and the Euro.

Bob K

Of course, that's why is better for us live abroad with dollars

I was in Las Terranas in Sept time frame. The place was dead as can be at night. I was told it fills up on the holidays like in Dec. That may be nice at that time, but that's only certain times of the year.  I didn't care much for it at all. The town itself is like two one way roads which are always busy with noise and motorbikes. Expensive gringo restaurants on the water that look nice, but I might as well be in Miami if I want that and the food was nothing special. I really didn't get the place. It might be different when I go back there. Now that I have plenty of time and experience in the DR. 

The beaches and water were fantastic.

Hello Planner what made you choose Las Terrenas over other beautiful location in the DR?
If you dont mind me asking?

Actually Planner is not in las Terrenas but rather the south coast.

Bob K

I, granca2 have been retired in Las Terrenas for 10 years now. I'm glad I came and don't want to leave until it is in a box. There are only three things that I don't like, one is over loud music, two there are no good concerts or plays within 150 miles and three horrible drivers.

Loud music and bad drivers are everywhere in the DR. Not just in Las Terranas.

I am amazed at how bad the drivers are. They have no idea how to drive OR what the rules should be on the road. It's essentially one big video game out there :)

That is exactly as my wife describes it. "Driving here is like a real live video game".

Bob K

Great description.  *I particularly  hate when it resembles pacman............

Basically, any rule there is regarding driving on the roads are not followed here. Imagine that!

When you are on the highway the two lanes are the same. The left one doesn't mean the faster lane. Usually, the slower cars are in that lane and they don't move over :) It's hilarious!

What this means is an education in ANYTHING is a DETRIMENT to living in this society :) Let that sink in for a while . .

Therefore, starting now, I will offer classes in becoming a dummy. The more you pay, the more of a dummy you become, and hence paradise is yours for the asking! LOL

I like my Puerto Plata.

& I love my Cabrera & Loma Alto.

I really love it all!!!

I am a computer professional considering buying a place in Las Terranas.  I own property in the USA and i have a new wife with two young kids   My wife is Dominican and she is much younger than me.   If i invest now in Las Terranas it takes care of my retirement situation.  What would you suggest in going about it?  Would the kids like the beach area or is it just for retirees?

This may work very well for you but you need to come and spend a month or two trying it out to see if it "fits".  School for the kids will be very important.  You will find a lot of French influence there as well.

Bob K

Hello ajosephs007,

Las Terrenas is very beautiful. There is a significant French and Italian community there. But you will also find expats from many other countries including the USA and Canada. Since your plans are not to retire for the next 10-15 years, will your fiancee kids still be of school age at that time?

There is a good french school in Las Terrenas. But, if you want an English or bilingual school for her kids you may have to look elsewhere. Some places that come to mind are Sosua (north coast beach town), Punta Cana (east coast beach town) Santiago (second largest city), and Santo Domingo (capital).

Let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

I agree with Bobk. If you find you like it here find a piece of land and get a Dominican maestro to build for you.

You have a new family and must consider everyone's needs. Small kids can live anywhere really but what about longer term. How do you want to raise them? What about school? Longer term employment opportunities? Higher education?

What do you and your wife lime to do? What are your needs?

Then as Bob says you need to spend time there AND in other places to see what fits!!!

We want to come and visit for a couple weeks and try to emulate life as a local.  Do you have any advice on where we should look to rent a house or apt for our stay?
Thanks!

2 weeks will give you enough information for you to realize you need at least 2-4 months looking around the island.

Yes, I agree ... but its all we have right now ... and it will be only the start.  We are mainly interested in eliminating spots at this point. So, the trip would be to help us decide if we want to look further.

Good start.  I do not know any website where you can look other  then  AirBnB  that might be a good place to look.