Moving to Kamnik from Toronto. Need some help.

Hello,

I am from Toronto and hoping to move to Slovenia for a couple years while I work in Europe. I have Italian Citizenship so living in the country is not a problem, but in not sure on their health care policies. Am I better to get an expat health care plan or if I work in country as a European will I get health care automatically?

In addition if I ship my things from Canada will I get heavy takes attached. They are not new items or gifts.... is their a way to do this without getting taxed heavily.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Michael Soncina

Hi,
in Slovenia  health  insurance is  compulsory and has to be paid by your employer..but insurance  cover just  part  of service ...depend from case to case.So it is vise to  have also additional  commercial health insurance  it is aprox.  32 Eur monthly . But this will not solve all your problems  because like all countries in transition  'we still don't know what is better  to keep public or to run  private health system'....  in short this mean  for  example if I want to  visit  dentist  I have to wait one year for public dentist, so I choose private dentist  where is not  waiting.  If you are  Italian I can tell   you  system here  is pretty similar to Italian( according to talking of my Italian part of relatives).

For your private  property  I can't reply you from first hand because it  is little complex question ...but there are tax  and custom  offices where  you can ask.
good luck
Irena

Hello Sonchy,

Taxes on duties for your household goods and belongings - If you are a returning EU citizen (as Slovenia is part of the EU for a while now) you may not be paying duties or taxes at all. Conditions apply though - usually you being the owner of the same goods for more than 2 years also you have to be able to proof you have been living outside of EU for 2 consecutive years.

Let me know if you get stuck with the moving part.
Best,

Dez