Cedula - Driver's License

What is the purpose of the Cedula? Is it a driver's license, or just an ID card? What does it cost and what is required to get permission to drive?

Cedula is totally different. It is a  national ID card much like a green card in the US. Is along with residency is a legal requirement for living here and is necessary to work here.  The process to get one can get $$ and the procedure needs to be started in your home country.  Do a search on the subject here as it is discussed in detail.

As to driving here you need a DR drivers license in you plan on driving beyond your 30 day visitor's visa.  Technically insurance companies don't have to pay claims here if you are in and accident and don't have one.  They are easy to get but you will need basic Spanish to do so.

Bob K

Does a returning Dominican citizen need to start the process in the US? I will search the blog now for the info?

You can't get a drivers license here without your cedula.

IF you are a Dominican returning the process is totally different.  You have the right to your cedula and passport. Go to the government passport offices and ask what you need to do. We're you declared here?

Yes forgot to mention that you need a cedula  to apply for a driver's license.

Bob K

Ummm First line honey.  SO,  more coffee today is needed..............LOL   :dumbom:

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by, "were you declared here?"

I think she means do you have a Dominican birth certificate and was it recorded here.

Bob K

Yes exactly -  was your birth registered here - doesn't matter if you were actually born here.  IF you are registered here it is easier. IF you were not then you need at least one parents birth certificate and you need to be declared. Just a bit more complicated process.

Yes, he was declared- funny- 9 months after his birth, when they got. a round to It!

Then it is a pretty easy  process.

9months is kind of a record.  Many go a year or more before registering. It is amazing how many never register.

Bob K