Purchasing and Insuring Used Vehicles

I remember reading a foreigner needs top of the line car insurance. Is it true that the best insurance is only available for newer vehicles, perhaps after ten years no longer qualifies for that type of policy?

I have read good deals on used vehicles are available, but that newer cars (5 years old or less) are much much, more expensive than in the US. Perhaps after those prime years, the exaggerated prices level out some?

If those are true facts, would a conservative spender-savvy purchaser find a "sweet spot" for best value combined with insurability in cars that are 6-8 years old?

Yes for older cars you can only get "ley" in insurance which is basically liability. No collision insurance is available.  I have this type of insurance on my 1997 jeep wrangler.  Newer cars no problem with coverage.

Yes cars new and old are much more expensive here. Figure on at least 30% more here than in the US for the same car.  Best buy on a used car will be from an expat who has a car to sell that  he bought new or imported form the US when he got here.  Used cars from dealers can be a  "pig in  sheep's clothes" as most will be imported with bad titles, or have the odometer rolled back significantly (some times 100,000 miles of roll back).  If you are buying used car here imported from the US check it out on carfax (will give you a detailed history of the car and title in the US) before you buy anything.

Hope this helps.  If you are looking I have a SUV (Avalanche) for sale (listed in the classified ads here) that I brought from the US and bought in the US new.

Bob K

Great info Bob, we double checked a client' s purchase on carfax and it was unbelievable!!!! Dealer lied about everything.  And eventually no consumer protection here.

Thanks for the helpful info. I will check out the ads,

First and only used car I tried to buy from a reputable dealer in Moca had rolled back the Odometer 100,00 miles and the last title issued in the us was  Junk Title.  CarFax is your friend

Bob k

sure is, we need one here that is similar!!!!  Once the car leaves USA we have no history.