Living in Khuwair/Ghubra - some queries on car, Internet, groceries

Hi,

This forum has been really helpful - thank you to schaz, Sumitran and all the other members who helped me answer my initial queries. I have a few more, and request forum members to help me with these:

1) What are the grocery shopping options around Muscat Oasis in Al Ghubra? I don't have a car right now and walking to Lulu / Carrefour is a bit difficult for urgent needs. Are there people who home deliver groceries?

2) Are there any nurseries or pre-schools in walking distance of Muscat Oasis?

3) Does anyone have a home broadband plan from Ooredoo? Please share reviews.

4) Car Insurance: Can I use the no claim bonus from my home country while buying a car in Muscat?

5) Any good places to rent cars from? What is a good per month rate for a mid-segment sedan (Elantra for eg.)

Regards
Deepbluesea

Following are few answers that I could provide.

1) What are the grocery shopping options around Muscat Oasis in Al Ghubra? I don't have a car right now and walking to Lulu / Carrefour is a bit difficult for urgent needs. Are there people who home deliver groceries?
Muscat Oasis residency is a minute drive to lulu, however it takes around 20 mins to walk till there. Unfortunately, there's no other grocery place near to that. So if you can't walk, you should have a car ! I haven't heared or seen any person, delivering groceries to individuals so far and I believe noone does it in this part of the gulf. But restaurants / fast foods deliver the food on regular basis.

2) Are there any nurseries or pre-schools in walking distance of Muscat Oasis?
No. There is no pre-school on the walking distance from Oasis. The nearest is American Lycestuff in alkhuwair 33 which is about 10 mins drive from the Oasis residency.

3) Does anyone have a home broadband plan from Ooredoo? Please share reviews.
I never used Ooredoo home broadband as the general reviews, pertaining to the internet speed are not so good (I don't know the current situation). Omantel is the best as per my own experience (May be some peeps second me).

4) Car Insurance: Can I use the no claim bonus from my home country while buying a car in Muscat?

I don't think so. There's no such thing like no claim bonus in Oman. And offcourse, purchasing a car will certainly require a valid Omani license.

5) Any good places to rent cars from? What is a good per month rate for a mid-segment sedan (Elantra for eg.)
Inside the Muscat Oasis residency, a rent-a-car company is available (ABC rental). They offer cars on a good price. Mr. Joy (GSM: 95859497) is the manager of the company and quite flexible. On the other hand, there are alot more around.

Hi Deepbluesea,

I can give you some information only on the following :

"3) Does anyone have a home broadband plan from Ooredoo? Please share reviews."

Ooredoo is just as good or just as bad as Omantel ! But mostly the service is good. I've been using their home broadband service now for a few good years (earlier they were called Nawras).

I've had my share of woes with them, but soon realised that there is actually no other / better alternative worth considering.

Often times I have personally visited their outlets across Muscat and I have found that mostly the comprehension levels of the counter staff leaves a lot to be desired.

But overall they are not too bad and the speeds are decent enough.

If you have anything specific to ask, I could perhaps give you a more specific answer.