Immigrating to Scotland

I'm in high school in the US, and my goal in life is to live on a small farm of my own in Scotland (I know, It's a bit early in my life to plan it all out, but I've wanted this since I was little, and I love planning things). My plan is to go to University in Scotland, and become a history teacher. Eventually I will reach my goal, and teach history to children in secondary school.
     My question: Would it be easier if I immigrated starting with a Student Visa and working my way up to a citizenship, or would that be a wast of time? Should I go streaght ahead, and apply for Scottish citizenship without waiting four years?

If only you could apply for Scottish citizenship! That time, sadly, is still some way off but you can still come here on a British visa and my suggestion would be to read the information on the FCO (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) website first.

It might also be worthwhile searching sme of the property websites to discover how much a small farm costs.

You may also find it useful to consider attending one of our excellent Agricultural Colleges as the degree would be more useful to you than history in achieving your ultimate ambition.

Student visas are strictly temporary and do not lead to citizenship. When your course of study ends you have to return to your home country. You cannot apply for citizenship unless you have been legally living in the country for 5 years on a work visa or spouse visa. You would not get a work visa to be a history teacher. The UK has no shortage of these. You can only get a work visa if you are qualified to do something of which there is a shortage. Only math and science teachers are in short supply. Your best bet is to try to get citizenship of a member country of the European Union through ancestry. As an EU citizen you could live in any EU country.

Do you know any jobs that there will be a shortage of in the next four to ten years?
C

Here's the shortage list. It does change slightly from year to year. No-one can say what it will be like several years from now but it will probably be quite similar. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati … april-2013

Thanks