Getting married in Honduras

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Honduras or who are about to get married in Honduras to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Honduras? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Honduras)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Been there tried it.
Too many hassles and road blocks placed for a Gringo!
One Municipality told me they dont Marry Gringos.

My Advice,  Go to Belize and get married there in 3 days.

This is from having lived in Honduras for over 15 years.

Hi Narcdog!

Thanks for your advice.

Armand

Go to the alcaldía in the municipality where you wish to get married and ask what their requirements are.  Bring a pencil and paper and ask for details!  Or have someone do this visit for you.

I'm from the U.S.  My Honduran boyfriend and I are currently going through the process.  We quickly learned that the local officials will be the ones processing the papers, so it's a bad idea to take advice from anyone else.

Specifically, do not listen to the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa.   

The embassy's intentions may be good, but they will cheerfully take your money and screw you over.  I just missed an entire day of work and paid $50 plus travel expenses going to the embassy to get an "Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry."  The Embassy staff confidently assured me that this was the the U.S. equivalent of the required "soltería," both when I called ahead and when I arrived at my appointment.  Well, I took the paper back to the municipal office only to be told that it was useless.  They cannot accept me simply swearing that I'm single, no matter what bigwig witnessed me doing so; they need proof that someone has searched at least some archive in the U.S. and has not turned up any marriage certificates.

After much combing of the Internet, it appears you must contact your state's Office of Vital Statistics or equivalent.  They cover the entire state, so they have dealt with foreign marriages before and should be familiar with issuing "Verification of No Marriage Letters" or such.  The Honduran municipal officials seem to expect this to be accompanied by a copy of your birth certificate because that's how records are organized in Honduras. 

That's as far as we have gotten so far.  Apparently, you must also get an apostille for the documents and a certified translation.  We don't yet know what that will entail, other than plenty of headaches. 

Hopefully all the hassles will make it that much sweeter to be married in the end.  And I hope you, reader, will at least learn from my mistakes and not fall for the Embassy's disinformation!

Getting married in Honduras is definitely a huge hassle!  I did it many years ago, and already then it was a bit of a pain, but they're even pickier about the paperwork now (I co-ordinate weddings at a resort in Roatan).  Paperwork needs to be submitted to the municipality at least 2 weeks in advance, though better to do it further in advance, as there's almost always something wrong with some paper.  You can have someone take in photocopies and then bring originals down, if you won't be in Honduras that much before your wedding.  Documents needed are:
-a valid passport (or your cedula for Honduran citizens)
-a certified copy of your birth certificate
- blood test- AIDS screening 
-divorce certificate if previously married, AND a letter attesting to single status that has been prepared by a city official in your town of birth, that has been authenticated by the Honduran Embassy in your country.  If it's your 1st marriage, just the single status document
-two witnesses with valid passports, cannot be relatives
-All documents that are not in Spanish need to be translated with the translators stamp and seal

Once you have it all together and you get married, it's not over!  The official marriage certificate usually takes months to come to the registro nacional de personas, where you'll need to go pay a fee and pick it up, and a lot of times, even if your paperwork was in order, for some reason the certificate isn't there, and you'll need to go back to the municipality to find out why.
Definitely not a process for the faint of heart!
Mel

Hi unuunilium and roatanhostel!

Thanks a lot for your inputs ;)

Regards
Armand

I was married in honduras to my BF that is from honduras. as long as you have all the paper work that you need there will be no problem. here is what you will need

If you are NOT a honduran citizen, you will be required the following documents:
A valid passport
A certified copy of your birth certificate (1)
An Affidavit of Single Status (3)
If you are marrying a Honduran citizen, your future spouse will require the following documents:
A Honduran identity card ("tarjeta de Identidad")
A Certificate of Single Status issued by the Civil Registry (“Certificado de Soltería del Registro Civil”)
If you have been married before, you will require these additional documents:
A certified copy of the divorce decree (1) or
A certified copy of your previous spouse's death (1)
Note:
You will need two witnesses to your wedding - non-relatives preferred. They must have the following documents:
For non-Honduran citizens:
A valid passport for at least six months
For honduran citizens:
A Honduran Identity card (“Cédula de Identidad”)
Marriages legally performed and valid in Honduras are also legally valid in other countries.
and you do need a blood test done as well which was free!!!
i did everything in honduras blood test and the single status

for my birth certificate i just gave them the original one the only hassle that we had to do was go the trujillo to get his Certificado de Soltería del Registro Civil and you have to set up a appointment at embassy for your Affidavit of Single Status and that is quick and easy... but it was fast and easy for me to get married there been married since jan or this year

Hello Nikkiv and welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for helping! :)

Aurélie

If I have all the documents, how long before we can get married ? I'll only be there for 3 weeks and when I get back to the states I plan on starting the spousal visa process

Also, can I just marry in the town closest to my fiancee -Tocoa or do we have to go 8 hours away to the capital... for it the be legal in the US as well

Hello Nikkiv, was the single status affidavit you got at the embassy the same one others here are saying wasn't valid? I'm getting married next month and was told this is valid but I'm not sure now.

I would suggest getting married in Las Vegas then jump on a plane and head to honduras.

Hello!
I am from Honduras and I am not married yet, but I think it is not that difficult to get married here.
if you have all the papers, you will have no problems.

[Moderated by EB Team : Please do not use foul languages on the forum ]

You can get married quickly, but you will need to register your marriage with your consulate, (if you want the marriage recognized outside of Honduras. You can have a civil marriage anywhere.  Do not trust anyone else!! Are you going to be legal residents of Honduras?

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Please recommend this lawyer in the appropriate section > Business directory

Make sure that she has a pregnancy test first. Honduran women love to try and get citizenship for their children from another man. Sorry but it is true! A pregnancy test is much less expensive than DNA.

I'm Canadian gf is hondurian

I've been married before, and want to remarry. I called vitals statistics in my birth city and they did not think that they could provide a letter saying I'm single, only that I have not been married in the last 3 years. However I can call the federal government in Ottawa to get a statement in lieu of non-impediment to marry abroad,(takes 25dsys) then send to honduras embassy to get it ?authentucated and translated? 20-60us per page

Do I still need this second letter from my birthplace?

i have a quick question, im a u.s. citizen and my bf is honduran and he has a visa. which is better to get marry in honduras or in united states

USA. If you're looking for him to become a US Citizen. If you have a child or kids either one ( you or him) in either country it will slow it down. Speak with American attorney first.

So it's better that we get marry in USA. He's visiting USA in September on his visa. Can we get marry when he arrives?

Yup... That would be a great time

Has anyone remarried in Honduras? Do you need a document from the city of your birth stating you are single?

Yes. Speak with a Honduran attorney.

I am in the u.s and my fiance in Honduras can I send him the required documents for myself ahead of me arriving? I only have a 12 day vacation from work and we plan on being married during my visit. I have never left the country before so all of this is brand new to me.
Thanks

I got my us citizenship 2 years ago and i was raised and born in Honduras till i was 19 years old, do i till need to get this affidavit of single status form from a US embassy to married in Honduras or i can just go to the registro de las personas de honduras since im already a Honduran citizen aswell?

Go to Jutialpa, Atlántida to get married. They make everything easy on you. However, that document may be asked for or bring proof of divorce, if you have one!

Once we go thru all and get married in Honduras, how long do I expect to wait until I can bring my wife to the US?

Look guys, unless the gal has a university degree, save yourself the headache and heartache. Honduran women do not have a bad reputation for nothing! If you think that you are going to come down here and marry a poor girl, well good luck! If you really cannot resist go to Jutiapa, Atlántida. Bring a police record, divorce papers, passport, birth certificate and proof from the US Embassy that you are not still married. A visa to the US will most likely take three years, longer if there is a great disparity in age! Happy trails!!

Go to Texas and get married within 24 hours - and your Honduran counterpart does not even need to be there. Texas has proxy marriages and you do not need to be a citizen of Texas. Contact a county clerk and ask what documents you will need (only the most basic documents are required). I suggest New Caney, Montgomery County, TX (30-minutes north of the Bush International Airport airport. All you will need is a "warm body" to stand-in for your intended. I did it, took 30 minutes at the clerk's office, $100 bucks for a local pastor (or other permitted to perform a marriage), married my buddy's wife (as the proxy!) came back to Honduras, formally married in our church in Honduras (simple procedure) and afterwards I applied for permanent residency (marriage to a Honduran citizen) and receive my residency one month later.
Marriage in Honduras is a joke process and a Honduran attorney's gold mine!

Really???? Possible felony charges??!! Residency in a month??? Christ could only walk on water, nothing compared to you! Have a Great Day!

Wooddull - Your prior statement:

Really???? Possible felony charges??!! Residency in a month??? Christ could only walk on water, nothing compared to you! Have a Great Day!!

Really???? -

Yes, really, Wooddull. A simple phone call to this number will confirm everything I said:
County Clerk, 301 N Main St Ste 100, Conroe, TX 77301 · (936) 539-7855 - try this Instead of immature negativity.

Possible felony charges??!! -

With a masters degree, a very successful 50-year career in my own company, 4 years US Navy - Honorable.  US Air Force 4 years - Honorable, Vietnam, disabled Vietnam Veteran, lifetime member in Disabled American Veterans and never received more than a traffic ticket and you say "Possibly felony charges??!! Get real Wooddull! Try investigating before accusing; instead of the simplicity of negativity.

Residency in a month??? -

You bet, I'll provide my Honduras attorney's credentials to anyone that asks. PS: She is licensed to practice before the Honduras Supreme Court and didn't cost me an arm and a leg! More negativity, Wooddull.

Christ could only walk on water, nothing compared to you! -

Jesus Christ is my Savior. Please tread carefully with your negativity.

Have a Great Day!!

Every day is a great day when you walk in the Light!!!

PS: I was 72 years old and my Honduran wife was 60 years old when we were married - and it's wonderful. Didn't even need a pregnancy test! :-)

I am glad that all has been so wonderful for you! Pennies from heaven. Proxy wives rock!

Proxy weddings are not recognized as legally binding in most jurisdictions: both parties must be present.  Some guys have all the luck!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EliPCxEMv-k

Jutiapa, Atlántida is the easiest place to get married in Honduras. Bring a proof of divorce, health and birth certificate, passport and two witnesses.. I do not know what they charge now. It might be a wise idea if you go there first in the municipality building to get a copy of everything you need prior. Now getting a residency to the US is most likely a different story. One gentleman said he got his wife a residency visa in a month. Often times you may wait 2-3 years or longer if there is a great difference is age!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE5nh5-IiHg

Woodrowdull - You cite a You Tube video as your authority? Try real investigating! At least say where, when, and how.

Legal Definition of proxy marriage:
a marriage performed in the absence of either party to a marriage who authorizes a proxy to represent him or her at the ceremony.
https://www.merriam-ebster.com/dictiona … 20marriage

Four states in the United States allow proxy marriages in some form:

California
Colorado
Texas
Montana
http://marriage.about.com/cs/legalities … rriage.htm

Montana allows active duty military personnel to participate in double proxy marriages where neither you nor your fiancé is required to be present. (My, my!)
http://www.armedforcesproxymarriages.com

For U.S. immigration purposes, a proxy marriage performed in one of the four states listed below is valid as long as the marriage has been consummated.
California
Colorado
Texas
Montana
http://www.kvisas.com/Proxy-Marriages.shtml

Oh, yes, I failed to mention - my wife and I did consummate our marriage after the proxy ceremony - wow!!!!!  :-) Question is - how the heck would the US government know whether the marriage was actually consummated - or not? That's scary!

FYI - Your absent spouse's name is on the marriage certificate- not that of the "proxy". There is nothing on the marriage certificate that indicates it was a "proxy" marriage. My wife and I used our "proxy" marriage certificate to afterward marry in a Catholic Church in Honduras,  to obtain a 10-year US visa for my wife, and for me to successfully obtain legal permanent residency in Honduras. And no, I didn't have to pay mordida to anyone - in Texas or Honduras.

Nuff said?

No the youtube video was so that you could croon that lovely tune to your newly beloved!  I hope this suffices as proper investigation!

https://hn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … formation/

Photocopy of identification card of both parties.
Photocopy and original identification card of two witnesses over 21 years old; they must be literate. You are not allowed to change witnesses at the last minute
Birth certificates of both parties; they must be originals, bearing the most recent civil status (single or married) of the individual. The name must match their provided ID
A) Medical certificate and H.I.V. test, if no children in common
B) Pregnancy test, if pregnant
C) Original birth certificate of children, if parents have  children together
A 350.00 Lempira fee for marriage services must be paid at the Municipality's Treasury Department (located across the street from Clínicas Viera or at any Banco Continental).
Dispensa de Edictos. This certificate must be obtained at the Ministry of Government and Justice, located in Col. Alameda across the street from I.N.A  (copy of identification cards and birth certificates of both parties is required).
Obtain a marriage application from D.E.I., (Dirección Ejecutiva de Ingresos), fill it out and pay L. 10.00 at Banco de Occidente.

https://hn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … formation/

Photocopy of identification card of both parties.
Photocopy and original identification card of two witnesses over 21 years old; they must be literate. You are not allowed to change witnesses at the last minute
Birth certificates of both parties; they must be originals, bearing the most recent civil status (single or married) of the individual. The name must match their provided ID
A) Medical certificate and H.I.V. test, if no children in common
B) Pregnancy test, if pregnant
C) Original birth certificate of children, if parents have  children together
A 350.00 Lempira fee for marriage services must be paid at the Municipality's Treasury Department (located across the street from Clínicas Viera or at any Banco Continental).
Dispensa de Edictos. This certificate must be obtained at the Ministry of Government and Justice, located in Col. Alameda across the street from I.N.A  (copy of identification cards and birth certificates of both parties is required).
Obtain a marriage application from D.E.I., (Dirección Ejecutiva de Ingresos), fill it out and pay L. 10.00 at Banco de Occidente.

Wooddull: Nice effort - but sadly your response was a non-sequitur. I do, however, appreciate your tenacity!

What I appreciate is your proxy marriage! Hats off to the Lone Star State and May God Bless the Newlyweds!

Wooddull - Let me correct you erroneous statement in your missive. What I actually said, and you can confirm by re-reading my missive: "...obtain a 10-year US visa for my wife, and for me to successfully obtain legal permanent residency in Honduras. I received my legal residency in one month - not my wife. Age or vision problems? :-)