Who can help me with translation?

Hi all,

I'm Eefje, i lived in Sri Lanka when i was very young. From 2 till 4 together with my family because of my fathers job. Now i'd like to give my sister a present to remember our time in Sri Lanka and therefore i'd like to have the sinhala translation of the word "lotus". I have spent some hours on the internet to get a descent translation but on every website i get different (or more than 1) translation.
Is some able to help me get the right translation? I would be really greatful!

Lotus is a flower which grows in water.  In Sri Lanka,  it is offered to Lord Buddha and this flower could be bought from shops near famous Buddhist temples.  It is called Nelum mala in Sinhala.  Nelum is lotus and flower means mala in Sinhala. If you need any more clarification please write  to my email address. thanks, kindest regards,

Lacille de silva

Hi!
The meaning stand different for the word "LOTUS". But if you are thinking of that flower, its Nelum Mal or the word Thamara. The word Thamara comes from Tamil language from South India.

Regards
Keith :D

Hi keith,

thank you! i was actually looking for the translation in the beautiful sinhala way of writing, so with the sinhala alphabet!

greetings

The sinhala version for Lotus is Nelum

Yes i know, thank you. But I mean in sinhala alphabet :)

it should be නෙලුම්  මල

The word Nelun, if it is the name of a flower, then the English term for that flower is Lotus.

Lotus is grown in water - in mud.  But the flower comes up above the water.  It is chosen by many a Sri Lankan Buddhists to offer to Lord Buddha.

Also it is said that when Prince Siddhartha was born (this Prince Siddhartha is the lay person and after becoming a monk became the Lord Buddha) he walked seven steps and each time he walked his feet was welcomed by a lotus which propped up at that instant.

This Nelun (actually Sri Lankan Sinhala speaking community pronounces it as Nelum) seeds are edible and people take it instead of rice.  Also the Nelum stem if cut into fine slices, could be eaten - a tasty dish.

clikbill has written the sinhala writing.  The first word is for Lotus - Nelum and the second word "mala" means flower.

Hope that you got a satisfactory answer.

Sincerely
Vajira

It is Nelum Mala

නෙලුම්  මල

The above is the way of writing the words Nelum Mala in Sinhala Language.  Nelum is Lotus.  Mala is flower.
Regards.
Wanaja

Hi ,

Encylopedia of Sinhala by J B Dissanayake may be very helpful.

Lotus -A Flower  in Sinhala is "Nelum" in English a water lilly.

As you know the meaning of the word changes in the way it is used.

In Buddhism - Lotus means attain enlightenment( comming out of murk), Nirwana in Sinhala
for Hindu Lotus  is a God.
I am Manel- meaning blue water lilly. :)

Pls can anyone help me translate it in english:

Mama hithuwe ne oya mehema karayi kiyala. Anika oya mechchara bolada kenek kiyala hithuwe na mama. Mata aththatama hithata dukayi

This is not a translation of word to word.  Just the translation of each sentence.

I never thought that you would do like this.  Besides I never thought that you are this much babysh (child like - not matured).  I really feel sorry

Thanks a lot wanaja1

Can someone help me translate this in english please:

Innawa. Unta pissu. Den wena ratak hoyanawa
Monawa aluth case wage.
Ayeth ehema thamayi

please translate in english....

Innawa - means available of staying
Unta pissu - means They (Unta means they, but here in the possessive form).  pissu means mad.
So when the entire sentence get translated it means - They are mad
Den - means now
wena - means another
ratak - means a country
hoyanawa - means searching for
So the entire sentence when get translated gives the meaning as follows - Now looking for another country
Monawa - means what
aluth - means new
case - means, here it is a person or an issue
wage - means appears
So the translation of entire sentence is - What? seems to be a new one
Ayeth - means again
Ehema thamai - same way
So the entire sentence gives a meaning such as - Again, the same way

Regards.

carolmaranda wrote:

Can someone help me translate this in english please:

Innawa. Unta pissu. Den wena ratak hoyanawa
Monawa aluth case wage.
Ayeth ehema thamayi

please translate in english....

Yaiks this sounds like somebody is pissed off.You got it from where?