Learning Maltese

Hi folks,

I really would like to learn Maltese.
I work in English but the majority of my colleagues are Maltese and I would like to understand this language.
We can make a language exchange for example.
I speak as well French and Dutch.

If you know somedody interested, please let me know

Thanks

Hi,
There's a very nice book I came across recently and its called 'Speak Maltese for the English Speaker'
I have learned a lot from this book. Very easy phrase book.
Hope it will be helpful

Rushie wrote:

Hi folks,

I really would like to learn Maltese.
I work in English but the majority of my colleagues are Maltese and I would like to understand this language.
We can make a language exchange for example.
I speak as well French and Dutch.

If you know somedody interested, please let me know

Thanks

Most local councils run Maltese for beginners courses and some are free(paid for by the EU ).

Ask  at your local council office.

Terry

Hi Rushie,

You should try posting an ad in the Language Exchange in Malta section in Classifieds. It will increase the visibility of your post. ;)

Shaazia
Expat.com Team.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum.]

chseychell wrote:

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum.]

Hi Rushie,
Yesterday I posted information about language courses offered by the State but it was deleted by the admins. Stupidly enough, they thought it was an advert!
So if you would like me to send you the information let me know. I will send it to you in a private message...unless private messages are also screened by the admins.
The admins are not helpful at all. By deleting it they deprived you and other foreigners who would like to learn Maltese from some useful information.
Good luck with your studies.
Charlo

Hi Charlo,
Could you send me the info on learning Maltese, too? Thanks so much!

Hi,
I sent you a private message.
Are you coming to the Christmas concert tomorrow evening?
Regards,
Charlo

I think I'll aim for it, yeah. I'll ask my brother if he wants to come to. I don't have a cell phone yet but maybe we can organize a meeting place.

'Too' ;)

What if we meet at 5:30pm near Wembley Stores? It is the green corner shop right opposite the venue.
I think I sent you my contact details already. Right?

Yes, you did! That should be fine. I'll confirm tomor afternoon. Are others going?

Cool.
There are another two who still need to confirm.

Għażiż Charlo,
could you send me the info on learning Maltese, too?
Grazzi ħafna !
Il-Milied it-Tajjeb u ħafna risq għas-Sena l-Ġdida.

Yes, me too please

Tina_ch, you already start to learn ? Is it difficult ?

Tina_ch and Isma P,
I will send you a private message later, hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
Take care.
Charlo

Isma P. wrote:

Yes, me too please

Isma' Isma!  :-)*

Is Maltese difficult to learn?  Yes and no! Depends on you!
Think positive and it's not difficult!
Living in Malta with Maltese neighbours, friends, and colleagues, an "open, curious ear", and maybe some grammatical explanations and/or a Maltese language course – needs some practice but it definitively can be learned.
Inselli għalik
Tina

*  «isma'» is the imperative singular of the verb "to listen/to hear".
In Maltese there is no infinitive. As "infinitive" and as dictionary entry the simplest form of a verb is used – the 3rd person singular, past tense. In case of the verb "to listen/to hear" this is «sema'», he listened/he heard.
And in the Maltese-English dictionary, by Joseph Aquilina (p. 1262) you will find: «isma'» can also be used to emphasize agreement approximately in the sense of Eng. "of course/I couldn't agree more" or as disagreement with a sense of surprise, "certainly not!/What nonsense!"
Well, I suppose this was just your first Maltese lesson! :-)))

Hi please could you pm me the info on language courses please

Thanks

tina_ch wrote:
Isma P. wrote:

Yes, me too please

Isma' Isma!  :-)*

Is Maltese difficult to learn?  Yes and no! Depends on you!
Think positive and it's not difficult!
Living in Malta with Maltese neighbours, friends, and colleagues, an "open, curious ear", and maybe some grammatical explanations and/or a Maltese language course – needs some practice but it definitively can be learned.
Inselli għalik
Tina

*  «isma'» is the imperative singular of the verb "to listen/to hear".
In Maltese there is no infinitive. As "infinitive" and as dictionary entry the simplest form of a verb is used – the 3rd person singular, past tense. In case of the verb "to listen/to hear" this is «sema'», he listened/he heard.
And in the Maltese-English dictionary, by Joseph Aquilina (p. 1262) you will find: «isma'» can also be used to emphasize agreement approximately in the sense of Eng. "of course/I couldn't agree more" or as disagreement with a sense of surprise, "certainly not!/What nonsense!"
Well, I suppose this was just your first Maltese lesson! :-)))

isma' could also mean "come closer, I have something to tell you...just between you and me!"

[moderated: please post your ad in the classifieds section]

Would be great . not exam status! Just basic . I'm in Valletta . xx♥

Hello LearnMaltese,

Kindly note that this discussion is not active since December 2014.

I would like to inform you that no advert is allowed on the forum.

If you want to offer your service then you can post an ad in the section Language classes in Malta.

Thank you
Yuveshen