Don't forget the satos and gatos...

This holiday season, instead of exchanging gifts, my wife and I are making contributions to a couple of organizations that help out the homeless satos and gatos on the island.  There are several wonderful organizations that are trying their hardest to help the dire stray situation on the island.  It's heartbreaking to see all the strays here, and we're trying our best to help out.  Every little bit helps.

We feed some homeless gatos in our neighborhood, and often brought food and money down to the Save-a-Gato foundation in OSJ when we were living there. 

Like Gregg mentioned in previous posts, keep a bag of dog or cat food in your car.  You're bound to run into many homeless animals here, and a little food can go a long way to help out.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday!

You're a good man trekrider520. I have the feeling we'd be good friends if I was still there. Feed a stray. Speak to it softly with some kind words. Even the smallest act of kindness towards an unfortunate animal is never wasted.

I couldn't agree more.
We were a couple of days in Isabela and soon had a crew of 8, 10 satas that we fed every day.
Here in the neighborhood we take care of dogs that are loose on the street.
Then there's of course LaDoga, our personal sata that lives with us and turned out to be the sweetest dog ever.

http://i59.tinypic.com/dzja86.jpg

Thanks Gregg - If you ever find yourself back on the island, let me know.  Maybe we can get together for lunch.
Here's Clover, our neighbor's sato.  We babysit her all the time and she is one sweet little girl!

http://www.pbase.com/dan_kehlenbach/image/158614607

P.S. About keeping dog food in the car, make sure it's in a plastic container with a lid that closes really good. Ants and roaches will get to it in no-time if you don't. :) I use a 5 gallon paint bucket - it keeps the insects out.

Beautiful dog Gary!  I'm sure she is very happy.   All of our neighborhood's adopted satos are super sweet, and very loving.

Several years ago we adopted a retired racing greyhound and then became involved in a placement organization to help foster dogs.  It was a great experience and there's something very special about helping animals in need.

Great pont Gary. Also you only need to carry dog food. Gatos will eat that as well. I have found that almost without exception, satos are good dogs and usually very sweet. Treckrider, there is the slimmest of chances I will ever be back on the island, except maybe for a visit to my stepdaughter or if business happens to bring me there.

GreggK wrote:

There is the slimmest of chances I will ever be back on the island, except maybe for a visit to my stepdaughter or if business happens to bring me there.

If you ever do drop me line!

I may need to go to Cabo Rolo sometime in the future to purchase some food grade sea salt. I have some ideas for some products using it but the problem is getting a 50# bag of it here without taking out a loan to ship it. I can buy sea salt here in FL but I don't know it's source. I want Caribbean sea salt specifically and in particular from Puerto Rico for certain applications. We'll see how that goes. if i come down for that I'll make sure we get together. But it won't be for awhile.

GreggK wrote:

But it won't be for awhile.

I'm not going anywhere. :D
About shipment, did you check USPS flat rate boxes?

It comes in 25 and 50 pound bags and they don't ship it. I or someone else would have to pick it up.

You all have wonderful hearts taking care of the strays, many Blessings this Holiday Season!

GreggK wrote:

It comes in 25 and 50 pound bags and they don't ship it. I or someone else would have to pick it up.

No source here on the east coast? I wouldn't mind sending you a bag or two but Cabo Rojo is over two hours from here

Nope.No source on your side. The salt flats in Cabo Rojo are pretty big and it's owned and operated by the state parks. The salt is cheap but getting it here isn't. If air fare wasn't so high I'd fly down and get a bag and fly back from Aguadilla and just have the bag of salt as my luggage.

trekrider520 wrote:

Beautiful dog Gary!  I'm sure she is very happy.   All of our neighborhood's adopted satos are super sweet, and very loving.

Thanks!
Yes, most satos that we encounter are very friendly dogs. We are thinking of adopting another one.

Do it!!

:cheers: Hola!

Good ideas about providing food (and I'll add, clean water) for the roaming dogs and cats.

However, and this is just tip, here's what unfortunately happened when I gave some healthy & crunchy dry food to a friendly Terrier, at the Carolina Post Office's front door. He came to the bowl, sniffed the food, didn't eat it, and walked away.

I'm not sure. I could be wrong about this, but I have hunch that this wonderful little dog MAY have some bad teeth and gums. As a result he cannot eat hard-like foods ~ because it hurts to bite down on hard food.

What I mean is that he could perhaps only eat soft-like foods, like already cooked meats, canned dog foods and such. Since that day I met this Friendly Terrier, I've been carrying around canned dog and cat foods, and a can-opener, spoon, a baggie, and recyclable bowls, for just in case other dogs and cats we meet have bad teeth and gums. To help keep the canned food from being cooked too much inside a hot car, I keep the cans under shady car seats.

I haven't seen the Post Office Terrier since that one day, and I'd have made an attempt to "adopt" him, but I'm allergic to dogs, except for my two cockapoo/poodle type dogs already here at home.

That is a great tip, Deborah!

Hi  :cheers:   I'd like to add to my post above this. That it is still okay to offer dry-crunchy-hard foods to the roaming dogs and cats, but it may prevent more heart-aching to have a "back-up" plan ~ a plan that provides softer-foods to help feed any dogs and cats with bad gums and teeth.

Hi  :cheers:   I'd like to add this info to my post above this. That it is still okay to offer dry-crunchy-hard foods to the roaming dogs and cats, but it may prevent more heart-aching to have a "back-up" plan ~ a plan that provides softer-foods to help feed any dogs and cats with bad teeth and gums.

And oh yes. I almost forgot to mention this. You may already be doing this - and that is to keep water in your car or near your body - that is for yourself and for roaming dogs and cats - that if stored in plastic - is kept out of direct sunlight. This will help prevent any possible leaching of the chemicals inside the plastic material into the waters.

Great points Deborah!  We'll often save a bit of salmon, turkey, or chicken that we grill for the gatos.  They certainly seem to enjoy it.  It's reassuring to see that a couple of the gatos feel safe and comfortable enough to hang out in our carport/patio area.  We used to bring some leftovers down to the Paseo when we were living in OSJ as well.
Regarding water, I found that I have to check it often as algae seems to grow quite rapidly.  Hope you have a great holiday.