Moving to Venice

Hi there, It is really great to find this blog and get insights into the big move to Venice!  I just woke up recently and decided I will go and live and work in Venice for however long!  I have been there a few times and fell in love with it.
I will be looking for rental accommodation and yes work in Venice around San Marco....ideally:-) I am a beauty therapist,make up artist,  by profession with my own business so would like to continue that.  I am taking lessons in Italian now but I would love to know how good my prospects are to work right in Venice in a beauty department in sales.  Obviously I would have to have Italian or not?? Also is accommodation there frightfully expensive?
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)  Also as I am from Ireland I believe I can go work there freely but must report to police department after 3 months ti apply for permanent residency :unsure

Hello elsiefinn and welcome to Expat.com :)

Hope that some expats over there will be able to help you out.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thank you Kenjee very much.  I lived in Canada for 11 years myself so ask me anything you might need to know if I can help>
Ciao

Lorraine

Hi welcome to Venice. Several of us English speakers have formed a group in Venice on FB and have get togethers. Lots of advice from people that have been here a while...let me know if you need help Mark (American)

Hi there,

Yes that is good to know.  What is the facebook group that I could join?

Thanks

Lorraine

Expats in venice

Thank You.

Lorraine (Irish)

Hi Lorraine if you're settled with living around San Marco then I can maybe help with a couple of hours a day job.
Contact me (xxx)

You can find lots of nice and modern studios near to crown plaza hotel, near train station
You need to use 15 min train and 5 min bus to reach San Marco
It is better than living near San Marco

A11A wrote:

You need to use 15 min train and 5 min bus to reach San Marco

You can't reach San Marco by train or bus.
From Mestre you can go to Piazzale Roma by bus, or reach the venetian railway station (Ferrovia) and from there you need 40 minutes of boat (vaporetto) to reach San Marco, or you can go by foot only (30-40 minutes, depending on your pace). To this you have to add the time from Mestre to Venice.
Anyway, accommodation in Mestre is cheaper.

I have just moved to Venice! How are you getting on?

Hi, just posted a question.

Just got back from Venice, and today it just hit me - how is goods moved around to shops, restaurants as well how furnitures are moved where there is no water way near.
Is things happening during late nights, early mornings? I never see any other means of transport as on water ways.

I hope someone have a answer on this maybe useless question (-:
regards Berniemobile

Hi this is the reason you pay more in Venice, for the hand transportation.
They do it mostly during the day, the boat arrives to the closest spot and then the muscled workers take it to destination.

Hi, thx for your quick reply- that was what I thought. It's funny with those islands (-:

On Phi Phi Island (thailand) goods to restaurants and shops as well tourists backpacks/suitcases moves around in carts . They have to the carts attached annoying  bicycle bells that they use in to absurdity. You are (almost) runed over by them several times a day.  Another island with special transportation is in Indonesia, on the island Gilli Trawangan outside Lombok (-: There they use a local pony with cart attached. The one is used as taxi both for locals and tourists as well transport heavy sacks of cement etcetera. If you been there you know.
Again thx for your info about Venice,

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/04/1c/7b/f1/alam-gili.jpg

Best thing you can do in Venice is get lost. It's easy, nothing makes sense and a map doesn't help. The marked routes change their names for no reason and you can happily find yourself going 'round in circles for hours. It's cool - set out with a list of places you wouldn't mind seeing and they may even turn up unexpectedly. I tried to find the Fenice (having just read 'City of Falling Angels' which is sort of a must-read before you go to Venice), got lost and accidentally found it the back way, though an alley under a bridge all romantically dank-and-dripping, on the way from a square I'd never heard of, but which was stunning and had... a LEANING TOWER! A real one! Don't ask me how come the one in Pisa is so famous when this one just kind mooches there, without any tourists visiting it. Venice is tiny, so you'll eventually find everything you were after in the first place and with a bit of luck even find your way back to your hotel. If, on the other hand, you're on one of those hideous three-hours-before-I-have-to-be-back-on-a-floating-cesspool-cruise-ship outings, whatever you do, don't go alone. Take a guide, or you won't get back in time. But then you get to watch your ship sail without you from the Dosoduro, where there's a cool spot on the deck restaurant on the water outside La Calcina (a neat boutique hotel with an interesting history)... I could go on... Just take your time and get yourself lost.
kindly check out what to do in Venice at night: https://www.adequatetravel.com/blog/top … -at-night/