What about after the job?

Hello,

I was a new expat moving to Bahrain on my own. I was only 21 years old, and I will admit I made some rookie mistakes. Not naming any names, here is my story.

When I was still at home they sent me a draft copy of the contact. It seemed pretty legit. Base salary was not much (250BD) but it was commission based work. I took it knowing that my salary was low but was enough just to get by. I found roommates to share a flat with and had just enough for food. After a few months of thinking I thought "heck what to lose". I booked my ticket and went!

When I got there, I was so excited to start my first career. I met my roommates and within a few days got a rental car provided by the company. In all the excitement I forgot to sign the contact!! I did not even realize this until things started to go sideways.

After two months of working, my boss started to say he was going to take away the car after the 3rd month and that I would have to buy or rent my own. Renting a car is 200 to 300 BD a month, to buy a car would be, low end 1000BD. I though to my self how the heck can I afford this?! I was new to Bahrain, still learning and networking. My colleagues told me that the job took about 6 months to a year to fully settle in. Me, being fresh in Bahrain could take even longer. My employer kept insisting that its possible. I realized then that they have made false accusations from the start. I decided to not give up quite yet. I still had another month to turn things around.

On the 3rd month, they took away my car. Not only did they do that but they changed the entire commission structure for everyone in the company. Base salary would only be paid when the min target was met, then 10% com., then 20% com., lower then the previous. Its progressive and highly unrealistic considering not only me but my fellow colleagues had many issues meeting the targets. Luckily I hit my target plus 10% for the forth month. At this point I started looking for a way out.

Another problem with this job is that you don't get paid until the money is collected by the company. Sometimes this can take months. I finally resigned with one payment pending. It was enough to hit my base salary target of 250BD but no com. My employer agreed that he would arrange to send it. So I left, and kept tabs on the payment. The payment is now paid, but my employer refuses to pay me. He says I owe him 450BD for the visa cost of 2 years that needed to be prepaid before starting, minus my 250 salary owing, so a total of 200BD. Do I owe him this money? Im so confused...

A bit long, but it made me feel better sharing. Thanks for reading :) And for any help, if its possible.

CheersXx

llinllinn wrote:

450BD for the visa cost of 2 years that needed to be prepaid before starting, minus my 250 salary owing, so a total of 200BD. Do I owe him this money? Im so confused...

Well , usually when you end up leaving the job when you haven't finish the term of 2 years , the sponsor usually demands the visa fees !

But you haven't signed any contract , and that seems like a loophole  :unsure

Were you by any chance brought here to work in real estate? This sounds awfully familiar to me in regards to what has recently happened to a friend of mine.

I suggest you write to LMRA but seeing as you have left already I think you should just mark it up to experience, learn from your mistakes and move on.

Don't move countries for any employer until you have researched them thoroughly. If you can't find any information about them then I suggest you don't move.
You are a pretty lady too and human trafficking is rife world wide. Please be ultra careful.

Bingo. I did some research, but honestly I didn't get much from it. Thanks, it was defiantly an experience that I've learnt from.

llinllinn wrote:

Bingo. I did some research, but honestly I didn't get much from it. Thanks, it was defiantly an experience that I've learnt from.

Aren't you coming back soon here  :whistle: ?

I too think you should learn from this experience and move on, since you have left Bahrain.

Lots of people fall victim to unscrupulous employers and thorough research is an absolute necessity before leaving home.