Female Taxi Drivers

Hello,

I have recently moved to Egypt and faced constant harassment from male taxi drivers....Does anyone know of any female drivers I could contact ?

thank you in advance!

What part of egypt?

Cairo

I guess no female taxi driver ,what u need is a trusted taxi driver nd I can help u with that if u want

Recently there was a nice article in "The Guardian" about a brave female taxi driver in Cairo.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/j … bbie-egypt

I would welcome that, I have never seen one and I am riding taxi a lot.

Always sit in the backseat of the taxi and don't get into conversation, that may help. Another option is Easy Taxi. Don't know much about it, but drivers are registered, at least you could report him then.

Caty

I wish that are female taxi drivers in the Middle East, it will avoid lots of problems.

Like the previous poster said, try to avoid conversation with the driver, it could help.
Step in the car if you get the feeling that you can trust the driver. Maybe its better for some period not to travel alone by taxi and certainly not at night.

In Jordan the name and telephone number of the company is on the door. I have no idea if this is also in Egypt . But if so and it sound weird but what you can do before you step in is to snap a picture of the license plate and/or name of the company. If it happen again, ALWAYS report by the police and if you have a evidence then the you can ensure that he is exit..

Hello Fotini,

You have a relatively lesser chance of being harassed when you are dressed modestly, and not wearing strong perfume and make up. Better still wear an Abaya and cover your head.

As soon as you get into a taxi, ask the driver how long the journey would take, then make a phone call to your friend telling him or her where you are coming from and how long it would take you to reach.

If the driver's conversation becomes uncomfortable, immediately request him to stop at a crowded place and take another taxi from there. :dumbom:

I am not comfortable with your advice to wear the abaya and scarf, if she is not a Muslim.
The taxi driver should respect all women, not only the Muslims who covering themselves.

Yes, Primadonna, I was about to make the same point, why is she supposed to wear an Abaya??? We are not in Saudi Arabia and if Egypt was something near to that I wouldn't be here. These guys have to behave themselves, not us covering up.

Caty

Hello Friends,

I fully agree and respect your comments and understand how you feel. Life is not always fair in any part of the world.

You always have a choice : either to declare war against any kind of injustice, disrespect and ridicule  OR to wriggle out of problematic areas and situation minimizing your damage and opportunity cost and focus / spend energy on more important things in life.  :)