Registering a car in albania, cost and how hard or easy is it ?

considering living in albania and wondering about the possibility of taking our trusty old beast with us.

Hi JohnnyB

Not sure if you got any info on this or if you are already here in Albania.

I moved to Albania about a year and a half ago and brought my car with me from the UK. 
If you plan to keep the car in the country and not take it out again it will cost around 1850euro and you then have to obtain Albanian number plates and register the car here which costs around 140 euro, before that the car needs to have an MOT about 23euro.  There are two types of insurance here, one is compulsory, you must have that one and it's about 105euro the other is to ensure if you have an accident your car will be automatically fixed regardless of fault and that is around 140euro.

I you plan on taking the car back out of the country after a while then the other option is to pay 1euro per day payable on leaving the country (I think) so if you are hear for a year (365 euros) you will need insurance cover regardless and will need to continue to pay tax in the country where the car is registered.  We have lots of UK, Greek and Italian number plates here.

Make sure your car's suspension is good, the roads here are really bad, and parts here are expensive if you want original parts, you can buy cheaper non original parts but they are not very good and don't last long.

Hope this helps
Sue

Thank you, Suey. This info is very helpful. Can you tell me about how to transport a car from a foreign country? What taxes should i pay for? Can i just go through all the countries "on my own wheels" an pay some taxes while crossing borders, or it seems more difficult? What about euro standarts for the cars? And would it possible to find a toyota parts there? I own a Toyo Vitz with a right rudder (japaniese) and, i think, most of the parts will be the same of left-ruddered Vitz (european model). Is this correct - to transport a cheap toyo to other country and pay taxes, or i just can by something right there, in albania? Which are prices for cars in Albania (secondary market)?

Hi, yes you can drive through European countries with no problems, you have to make sure your spare tyre is good and have all the jack equipment present and also you need to have a reflective triangle for some European countries you may drive through, second hand cars here can cost anything from £500 upwards, depending on the condition. German made cars are very popular over here due to how strong they are an there are probably more mercedes here than in Germany itself. You can hire transport companies to bring your car in for you but you have to be here to receive it, my items left two days before I did an arrived three days after I arrived. You can find lots of info about specific requirements for your car from the relevant countries you would be travelling through for Europe. There are Toyota's here but parts will be dealer prices. Hope this helps a little.
Suey

Thanks a lot, Suey. Will take it in mind ))

Hello from Finland
My question-in november 2013 I bought a Saab cabriolet mod 2000 from Germany with orange export plates
and took it to my ny apartamento/garage in Shengjin-------my intention was put in albanian plates but
i changed my mind..better to have a 4wd there ..i tried this summer to take my car to Montenegro..I coul not
get through because of my plates..which expired..insurance no problemo..the car is insured permanently by a finnish company..
now 1.10 2014 i fly Tampere-London-Podgoritsa and then by bus hitch?I should be in shengjin the same day
and my intention is to take by road my saab back home to Finland..I need to cross around 10 countries hungary -poland
baltic countries and ferry from Tallinna to helsinski.......
How the hell and from where can I get plates which will take me and my Saab back home safely..do they have transit plates in Albania..I d ont think so?Can anybody give me a good tip what to do?Kiitos

Hello I am currently in Albania and am looking to purchase a car. I would prefer a smart car. Please contact me via the reply option on this thread.

Good info Sue--thank you!