Just got Job Offer! I need comments on my offered salary?

Hello All! I HIGHLY APPRECIATE anyone who is aware of:
- the pay scale and the living cost in Muscat Oman

to answer my following question (any comments are more than welcome):

I have a Master's Degree in Applied Mathematics & Computer Science from a well-known North American University with 4 years of teaching experience. I applied to a teaching position(Lecturer position) in one of the universities in the capital of Oman: Muscat (I intentionally don't want to mention the name of the university). The MONTHLY salary given to me is 1380 OMR, and comprises of the following:

-Basic Salary: 750 OMR
-Accommodation Allowance: 450 OMR
- Allowance for water and electricity: 40 OMR
- Furniture allowance: 40 OMR
- Vehicle allowance: 100 OMR

My primary intention for applying to the is position is to save some money that I can use when I go back to my country at the end of my contract. I am single and I am the kind of person who has an average life style (I am looking for just  a good 1 bedroom apartment in a good neighborhood and my expenses are average). As I have no clue about the pay scale in Oman and the living cost,  I am wondering whether this salary is considered a good salary with respect to Omani pay scale and the living cost in Muscat, and how much I am expecting to save (just give a range of how  much I can save. I know it's hard to tell exactly how much as this differs from one person to another). Can anybody tell me whether this salary is really worth the risk and the effort to relocate from Canada to Oman? If you were in my shoes, how much would you ask if you were negotiating such a salary?

As I said, any advice/comment is most welcome. Thanks!

Hi Baida23,

You must first take into account your initial settling down costs  the cost of setting up your house, furniture, kitchen accessories, TV, washing machine, soft furnishing and such. That alone would cost you upwards of R.O. 1,500/- at a modest guesstimate.

Your next biggest monthly expenditure would be the house rent. For a 1 BHK apartment in a good neighbourhood (like Al Qurum for instance, would be in the range of R.O. 250/- to R.O. 350/-). But the place of your stay should be as close as possible to your work spot. No point in staying in Qurum, if your college is located say in Halban (where GUTech is), a good 60-odd kms outside of Muscat. The further you go, the lesser would be the rents.

Once you set up home and start living, being single, you should be able to save around 50% of your monthly income.

Suggest that you read the numerous informative posts and comments in the Cost of Living section to get an excellent idea of what the expenses would be like.

Good luck.

I too got a job offer.OMR 1500 with family accomodation.here in india practicing orthopaedic surgery since 5years.having 15years experience. Son in 10th std and daighter 7th std.
should I relocate or not?
Offer is in a polyclinic .so I will loose touch with surgeries.here in india I am dining all fixations. But less income&more struggle&competion.
kindly some one suggest.

Pretty reasonable salary! In Muscat, you may be able to get a decent accommodation for around 300 OMR. If you are with a family and in the habit of eating out etc you may spend another 200 OMR and transportation should take another 25 OMR in you have a car or around 40 OMR is you have to depend on private cabs etc. In any case you should be able to afford a decent living at around 500 to 500 OMR. There is absolutely no taxes, so you save around 800 OMR per month or close to 1500 USD per month.

The savings potential is huge for a high life style living too. So carry, on and accept the offer! Congrats and All the Best.

Mahesh

please mention the location of your new job. As regards, experience, I have a close orthopaedic surgeon in Salalah and he is pretty comfortable and has a long perspective in Oman

Dear Mahesh,
                        Thanks for u r response.
u have given me very good advice and I am little bit confident of goining.at present I am in kurnool.the job is in muscut.u r also a doctor?u r also working in Oman?.

Dear Sohailsaniya,

Welcome! I am not a doctor but I used to work in Salalah for nearly 7 years in academics (teaching line)  and I have many friends in Muscat.  Muscat is a beautiful city and you will get rich experience in working in Muscat.  In general, doctors are highly respected and you will love your professional life, I am sure

Thank you Mahesh for u r advice.

Dear Mahesh.I  will be obliged if u can give me the email id and phone number of u r orthopaedic surgeon friend in Salalah,Oman.Thank u.

Hi Sohail, I have lost my oman sim and all the phone nos have been lost.  I would suggest, u go over to Oman as it has extremely high saving potential and the cost of living is not expensive too.  Moreover, u will enjoy staying in Muscat, as it is more like hyderabad in terms of broad roads and many of restaurants in Ruwi which will give u the feeling that u are in India itself

Hi Sumitran:
I got job as a Manager IT in a college, I have M.Phil Degree in Computer Sciences with having 4 years of teaching experience and more than International Research Publications as well. The College offered me Managerial Role as Manager IT.
They asked me to certify my documents from Oman embassy and also send them a fresh Medical check up. I did so and sent them back my certified scan copies with medical checkup.
   They will send my documents from approval fro Ministry of Higher Education Oman, My experience wont be an Issue, I mean I have Lecturing(IT) experience and the job offered to me is Managerial role, though my background is matched with the job.

junaidkhan23113 wrote:

Hi Sumitran:
I got job as a Manager IT in a college, I have M.Phil Degree in Computer Sciences with having 4 years of teaching experience and more than International Research Publications as well. The College offered me Managerial Role as Manager IT.
They asked me to certify my documents from Oman embassy and also send them a fresh Medical check up. I did so and sent them back my certified scan copies with medical checkup.
   They will send my documents from approval fro Ministry of Higher Education Oman, My experience wont be an Issue, I mean I have Lecturing(IT) experience and the job offered to me is Managerial role, though my background is matched with the job.

Hi junaidkhan23113,

What does an I.T. Manager in a college do ? Obviously it is not a faculty position. Then what is it ? And what or who would you be managing ?

It is advisable in your own interest for you to get a clear job description before proceeding further to see if what is expected of you syncs and matches with your educational background and skill-sets.

Good luck.

The college from which i got the offer, they have an IT centre (providing Internet, Accounts and IT facilities) to full college(Students, faculty etc) and this IT centre has an IT of 5 members including IT Manager so far I came across to know. The previous IT manager resigned and left the job and started PhD somewhere.
                     I have been applying for teaching (Lecturer/Faculty) jobs everywhere. so I have also dropped my resume in this college too, they offered me IT Manager post as this position is vacant there. In my offer letter they mentioned " regarding your application at our college I am pleased to offer you Manager for Information technology position".

My qualification :  M.S/M.Phil Computer Sciences
                            BS(CS) Hon's 4 years Computer Sciences
                            FCS/Intermediate  Computer Sciences

Experience :     Lecturer (Feb 2011-Aug 2013) Iqra National University, Pakistan
                        Lecturer (Jan 2009- May 2010) Hitec Degree College Peshawar
                        IT & Monitoring Officer ( Dec 2010- Jan 2011) in a NGO
                        Internship (HR Assistant) (Oct 2010- Nov 2010) NGO
                        Direct sales officer, (Jan 2007- Dec 2008) Paktel GSM

Certification:   MS-Office, Computer Networks, MCSE, Linux Administration
International Publications:  13 papers published in Intentional Journals

For more and specific details kindly have a glimpse over my profiles:
LinkedIn:  https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?i … ab_profile
Personal: http://about.me/johny_lover2003

Question:
Since i have mostly teaching experience and my last experience is as a Lecturer, And the Position offered me is IT Manager so its a Management position. so Is there any issue or point on basis of which Ministry of higher Education will not approve my application. Job description is different as Lecturer requires to teach and Manager to supervise over all IT Infrastructure.  But yes my background is match with this position. And I have certifications pertaining to this position as I mentioned above. Computer Networks, MCSE etc

What irritates me, that MOHE will object that the person has a teaching experience and the position offered to him is related to Management.

Hi junaidkhan23113,

The ministry may or may not object to your background vs the job for which approval is sought.

Good luck.

need help in finding job in oman

for me as a ACCOUNTANT  ( MBA, M.Com )

for my wife LECTURER JOB IN ACCOUNTANCY  & MANAGEMENT SUBJECT, She is Qualified M.phil ( commerce ), M.Com, MBA, MA ( ENGLISH ).

kindly can anyone guide me or suggest me some genuine consultancies address in india who recruit for Oman & give me ur valuable suggestions for searching job in oman ( for me & my wife )

thank you

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.

I just want to say ' New year with all success' n go a head.

Hearty Congrats.

Hi all,

I got a job offer from Ministry of higher education oman in Sohar as Assistant Prof. with a salary of 1745 OMR all inclusive (housing not included). Is it a reasonable salary for a married couple with one child? Anyone know about the usual contract durations in teaching sector? As they did not mention it (awaiting email reply as well). And also about flexibility for joining? any ideas? Looking for your valuable suggestions and guidance.

yes I think is ok salary

Dear Friend,

First of all heartiest congrats on success, as per my recent survey, they have offered you a very good salary. You'll be able to save a huge amount every month.

Can You please help me to Guige, how you approached them for this Job. I am very much interested to grab any similar opportunity. I am Ph.d Holder in Mechanical Engineering field with 9+ Years of teaching experience.

Hi dear how you find teaching job? I trying from year can't get vacancies anywhere for physical instructor

Hello sir,

Good Morning, As per your experience, the scale is perfect to live in Oman.
Muscat is a little expensive compare to other places.You can proceed

with regards,
Amar

I am in Oman and in the same profession. Really good salary join immediately

I experience good part time work in Oman. And those people I do work with them was so nice and they give me good salary. Thats why I want to coming back again to Oman.
I hope somebody can take me here in Philippines and give me a visa to work.