Questions on taking pets out of Kenya

My husband and I have been living in Kenya for two years, where we adopted two cats.
I have a question is about taking my pets OUT OF Kenya. My husband and I will be leaving Kenya permanently in March, flying back home to the United States. We want our two cats with us in-cabin for the entire trip.
I have already done my research about what is required for export from Kenya, import to the US, individual airline requirements for in-cabin carriers, and all the paperwork needed. But there is one question I can't seem to get a definite answer on:
When we fly out of Nairobi, will our cats be allowed in-cabin with us? All the other legs of the trip are ok for cats on-board, except for the flight out of Kenya.
The Brussels airlines website states that all pets INTO OR OUT OF Kenya must travel as cargo, yet a Brussels Air reservations agent told me pets ARE allowed in-cabin if they are traveling OUT OF Kenya. When I pointed out what her website said, she said, "Oh well then, they probably aren't allowed." (Helpful, no?)
The Swiss Air website says pets can travel in cabin if they are traveling OUT OF Kenya, yet a Swiss Air reservations agent told me they are not allowed in-cabin.
I really don't know what to do about this, so I am hoping someone out there has actually flown out of Kenya with their pet in-cabin. If so, I would love to know which airline you flew!

I am pretty sure that your pets will have to travel in the hold, in a suitable carrier.   It is my understanding that pets are not allowed in the cabin, generally.  I would be very surprised if this were the case on any leg of your trip.  Logistically, pet carriers take up a lot of space and where in the cabin would they be stored?

Personally, as someone with an allergy to cats, I would be pretty annoyed if someone brought their cats into the cabin.

Well as I've said, I've done my research, and I can testify that a lot of major airlines DO have a pet policy that allows small pets in-cabin in soft-sided carriers that fit under the seat. And I've been on flights where other passengers have carried their pets on board. And I've confirmed with those airlines that from Europe to the a States I WILL be able to have the cats with me in-cabin. The only thing I don't know is whether any of these airlines allow pets in-cabin on the flight out of Kenya.

Further to my previous post, I understand that KLM will allow small pets to travel in the cabin, in an approved carrier 'on most routes' and only in regular economy seating.  The airline needs advance notice to allow this.

I also read that if you route via the UK, your pets must travel in the hold, due to UK laws.  I wasn't able to establish whether this still applies.