Setting up "House"

Shopping in an unfamiliar country is a challenge. From our brief stays, we have observed, to set up a comfortable rental apartment for our family we may need to purchase: a stove and refrigerator, washer and dryer, room ac unit, an inverter, a water filtration system, and probably ceiling fans. We will likely be able to qualify to bring a load of items in without the big tax I hear about, since my husband is a Dominican citizen. My question is, are those items more expensive/less available/less selection/etc. in DR? Would we be better off or get more for our money to bring them in from the US with our container? Bob, when you make trips back into the US, what types of things are on your list to purchase?

As a Dominican citizen I am not sure he gets a total tax free ride. You might want to check that out before you ship.

There is lots more available here now then when we set up house 9 years ago.  Then you could not find 4 matching light fixtures or more than one type of ceiling fan.

Forget the water filtration system, even with it you still won't be able to drink the tap water.
in 98% of the country.

Last time back brought over 100 pounds of auto parts.

This time hard to get food items, quality towels sheets, good pots pans, good light bulbs, 6 months of medications, one suit case totally loaded with cloths to donate to the local community that was wiped out during the floods from the recent rains.  Some how we always manage to fill our weight quota and sometime then some.

Bob K

Some things are way better to buy here -  stove for example.  Ceiling fans - buy KDK brand, the absolute best at moving the air. 

There is a set of rules about your husband returning here and bringing in a container!   Find out by asking the government,  your husband will know how to do that.  Electronics are good to bring but they cannot be brand new!   And good  quality sheets etc....... Bob is right. Bring those with you.

We also brought our stove. Stoves here for the most part are crap

Bob K

Planner I want to bring a 32 inch flatscreen on my next trip, it is less than $200 should I ship it with EPS couriers and avoid the tax or should I bring it with me on the plane??? Will i be taxed, and how old does an item have to be to be exempted? Thanks.

Bring it on the plane,  shipping is about US 4 or US 5 a pound honey.

I would bring it on the plane unless you are being charged an extra bag charge.  If so you may be better off shipping with someone lie Encargopac.  We has shipped 4 TVs that were under $200 with no problem.  Cost was about $30 aTV and they insure it so no problem in broken in shipment.  If it breaks while on the plane it is your problem.  One of the TVs we shipped actually had the screen cracked.  They replaced it withing 2 weeks at no cost to me.

So shipping may make more sense when it comes to TVs

Bob K

Thanks for the feedback as always guys, but what about the electronic tax they charge at the airport? Or should I make sure to bring the receipt and make sure it is less than $200 dollars so I do not get charged at the airport? Just want to make sure they don't try and pull a fast one on me at the airport, so I just want to make sure I'm straight on bringing in electronics taxes and how they apply.  Bob is encargopac in NY? And what size TV's did you ship? Thanks again.

You should not have a problem with the airport but you never are sure.

Encago Paq  is actually a firm in Miami.  They have offices here in the DR all over the place including in Sosua.  You sign up for an account and then what ever you buy you ship to their Miami address and it gets sent on to here.   We use them all the time and have never had problems.

Bob K

There are a variety of companies here that do this. Most are excellent - its all about where you are  and which company operates in that area.  Find out which ones are there and get some recommendations.   Like I said, most are good. All have different fee structures,  make sure you understand the  fees.

Thanks again guys  :cool:

You are welcome

Bob K