IMPORTANT NEW CHANGES FOR THOSE APPLYING FOR PERMANENT VISAS

One Hundred and Two Reais........ here they use the comma instead of the decimal point and the period where we'd use the comma in numbers.

R$5.035,05 would then be written Five thousand and thirty-five reais and 5 centavos.

I got my RNE card today!

Just about 4 months.

Great news! Now you're finished with all this crazy bureaucracy until you need to renew the CIE. Congratulations.

Just don't forget, you have to notify the Policia Federal of any change of address within 30 days of any move. This is very important and lots of expats forget to do it.

I want to apply for a permanant visa on the basis of my marriage. What types of documents does the federal police need? Can you show me its list?
I have my birth certificate that mentions the names of my parients, location of my birth and date of birth. It is signed/stamped by foreign ministry and ambassador of Brazil. It was submitted to Cortorio do casamento, but it took its copy and returned the original one.
I have also a paper stating that I am not criminal and it is signed/stamped by local police and foreign ministry. It is not stamped/signed by ambassador of Brazil. After arrival in Brazil, I showed it to federal police but i dont remember if FP took its copy or not. Can I submit it again with application of permanant visa? Thanks!

Hello sakraan,

See the very first posting on the following topic thread:

Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

In that posting there are two lists of required documents. The first list is the documents that are required for the marriage process, which you can pass over.

The second list is the documents that are required for the application for Permanência Definitiva through the Policia Federal. Also now under the new procedures you make all three applications at one time (permanency, register in the RNE, Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro) unlike in the past where you made only the permanency first and had to wait until granted to do the other two.

Don't worry too much about your Criminal Record Check not being legalized by the Consulado-Geral in the country where it was issued. Since you are going to apply based on marriage you will probably only need to sign a notarized "Declaração Sob Pena de Lei" that you have never been convicted of a crime either in Brazil or abroad. If they do want the Criminal Record Check anyway, they'll likely give you time to produce a new one that has been legalized by the Consulado.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

But my student visa was going to be expired. I applied for its extention/renewal. The federal police accepted my application/documents for extention of visa. They said: it is under publication process and publication process would take almost 2 or 3 months. In this situation, can I apply for permanant visa? Or I have to wait for its publication?

Yes, once married (legally) then you can apply for Permanência Definitiva regardless of your visa situation.

It is stated right in the Ministry of Justice webpage on Permanency, that as a rule anyone applying for permanency must be in a regular migratory situation, however that if one is the spouse of or parent of a Brazilian, that provision is waived in view of the Constitutional principle of Protection of the Family Unit. (Art. 226 Constituição da República Federativa do Brazil).

Cheers,
James             Expat-blog Experts Team

What is international vaccination certificate? Is it necessary for every one? I had a medical insurance issued in my country and it was required for visa application.

The International Vaccination Certificate is one that is issued by the Health Department in your country showing that you have received any of the vaccinations that are required for citizens of your country to take before entering Brazil. Yes, it is compulsory.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

But I did not receive any type of vaccination and there is no such type of vaccination system. The health insurance certificate was required by Embassy of Brazil.

Is there any type of vaccination necessary for foreigners before entering to Brazil?

There are other national of my country and he applied for permanant visa on the basis of ``Child`` born in Brazil. He was not asked to submit his vaccination certificate.

Depending on your country of origin yes. It is also recommended that you have a current Yellow Fever vaccination. It is also wise if you start a regular regime of oral Anti-Malarial drugs if you are in the north of Brazil.

Adults.

Prophylaxis: 100 mg base once daily starting 1–2 days before travel, then daily during travel, and daily for 4 weeks after leaving the malarious area.

Children.

For children ≥ 8 years of age.

Prophylaxis: 2.2 mg/kg (up to adult dose of 100 mg) daily starting 1–2 days before travel, daily during travel, and daily for 4 weeks after leaving the malarious area.

Confirm primary courses and boosters are up to date as recommended for your country of origin- including for example, vaccines required for occupational risk of exposure, lifestyle risks and underlying medical conditions.
Courses or boosters usually advised:   Hepatitis A; Tetanus.
Other vaccines to consider:   Diphtheria; Hepatitis B; Rabies; Typhoid; Yellow Fever.

But all these things are recommended...not compulsory. Our health department did not provide any type of vaccination. The embassy of Brazil asked about `certificate of health insurance´. Now, for travellers, the vaccination certificate of polio is compulsory for adults too and it is provided on airports in our country on emergencey level. But at that time, it was not available/compulsory.
I am living in Sao Paulo state. It is north or south Brazil?

Southeast, to be specific.

But how to get that ``certificate of Vaccination``? On the list of WHO, no yellow fever vaccination is recommended for the travellers of our country. Only malaria vaccination (type C) is recommended (not compulsory, as I think). Is there any substitute of that certificate of vaccination to apply for permanant visa?

Do you not have your local vaccination records?

If not you should go to your local Health Department and get them. Regardless of what the WHO recommends.... trust me, I've been here in Brazil a good long time and am well aware of the health situation here. The vaccinations and Anti-Malarial regime I recommended is something you really should do, regardless of what the WHO says.

If you have no record of your vaccinations, then you will quite likely have to take most of them all over again, talk to your doctor or somebody in your local Health Department.

I have no local health department record and there is no such system/record exists for travellers (in cour country). There are many persons of our country and they are married here in Brazil. I will confirm with them. Can you show me the website of federal police that mentions the vaccination certificate as compulsory? The embassy of Brazil (in lebanese) says; vaccination is recommended as by WHO website (it is not compulsory). The embassy of Brazil (in our country) does not say any thing about vaccination. The airport of Sao Paulo did not check my vaccination certificate.

I am in Brazil. How can I be vaccinated by my local health department? My question is; vaccination certificate is compulsory for all foreigners or not (to apply for permanent visa)? Can I be vaccinated here in Brazil? Is there any alternative to ``vaccination certificate`` to be submitted with permanent visa application, instead of vaccination certificate?

Go to the local Health Clinic in your city (Posto de Saúde) and most of the vaccinations you need for free. Some like Yellow Fever you will need to pay for. They will issue you a vaccination certificate. A Brazilian vaccination certificate will be acceptable provided they're all up to date

Today I visited federal police and asked for the list of the requirements/documents for permanent visa. He said; it can be provided after your marriage certificate.

It is good! Do I need to be vaccinated for yellow fever and malaria? Is there any other disease being vaccinated for it? Thanks!!

There is no REQUIREMENT for vaccination against Yellow Fever or beginning an oral Anti-Malarial regime of medication. It is however, highly recommended. It's your health!

I visited posto de saude and doctor told me that vaccination against yellow fever is free. However, they cannot provide a special certificate. They only give a card of vaccination that has the name of applicant and sign/stamp of medical doctor. For special type of certificate, police/advocate should write about its details.
A Pakistani and Bulivian students told me; no vaccination certificate was ordered by federal police when they were applying to permanat visa.
but WHO recommends vaccination against yellow fever and malaria for international travellers want to visit Brazil. http://www.who.int/ith/ITH_country_list … 1&ua=1

There is a special format of ``certificate of vaccination against yellow fever`` available on WHO website. It carries Englsih as well as French version. http://www.who.int/ihr/IVC200_06_26.pdf?ua=1

Hi James,
I've got some doubts regards the Uniao Estavel and this is making me slightly crazy...
I want to stay with my boyfriend in Rio de janeiro but apparently is all so complicated. What I mean for complicated is: if I can be in the Country with a tourist visa for 90 days and then be out for 90 (therefore unable to have a bank account, a job, a flat etc..) how the hell we prove, me and him, that we are together since 1 year? I can't stay there one year... only 3 months at time...
I've heard somewhere that different cartorios ask for different documents and also have different prices (?).
In the website of the PF, with all the list of documents required, is written all the list of document that are required is written that IF the papers of the uniao estavel are NOT provided, then a combination of documents must be presentet, proving at least 1 year relationship.
http://www.dpf.gov.br/servicos/estrange … ao-estavel
Again, I don't know how we can't be together for 1 year if I'm not allowed to stay more than 90 days..

As I read it I think if you can prove that you have been in the relationship for a year, and that does not have to include only in country time. For instance e-mails, photos with date stamps phone bills with phone numbers showing you called him / her and an affidavit declaring the relationship has been in existence for over a year that may be all that is required ( don't forget to get the documents legalized at a Brazil embassy for for use in Brazil ) and they may have to be notarized at a catorio in Brazil as well.  That said it all depends on where you live in Brazil if it's in Manaus they tend to make things complicated and convoluted (they love paper documents for everything and catorio stamps) If its RIO it may be a piece of cake

Hi John,
thanks for your reply, it gives me at least some hope... we can show our conversation in skype. whatsapp and pictures if we have to, and yes, it will be in Rio...
I'll indeed go to the Brazilian Embassy in Milan and get all the required document legalized. Let's hope everything will go in the best way...
Cheers

Exactly, união estável is defined as a relationship where two individuals (hetero or same-sex) have ALREADY lived together publicly as a couple. This ongoing relationship must have already existed at the time you apply for permanency for a minimum period of ONE YEAR and it must be proven by a number of different ways.

They include, but are not limited to:

joint bank account (min. 1 year), life insurance policy with one named as insured and other as beneficiary (min. 1 year), rental contracts or property deeds naming both (min. 1 year). religious or civil union abroad (min. 1 year), etc.

The exact list is on the Ministry of Justice website

http://www.justica.gov.br/seus-direitos … ao-de-sexo

Cheers,
James

cupofjoe wrote:

I got my RNE card today!

Just about 4 months.

Congratulations, Cupofjoe! Thanks for checking in to let us know!

JohnC wrote:

I did not receive any word that my CIE was at the Federal Police. Seems in Manaus it is not important to notify you. I went to the Police today and discovered it had been sitting there since October 6th, That was only 1 week from the date I did the RNE form.   After Taking more than 2 years  to do the entire process of Marriage and application it is finally finished and I have my CIE in hand. One good thing for my age it is not necessary for me to renew it since I am over 60. So yes it seems they have finally really fixed the terrible backlog of RNE's and CIE's and the process seems to be working rapidly. This is something  that isn't typical of Brazil maybe there is hope for them... Now if they could only fix the banking system to eliminate the long waits when you go to the bank. They could learn a lot from the US banking system what takes 2 - 3 hrs in Brazil is only a matter of minutes in the US

Congratulations, JohnC! Finally!  :top:

Actually the Federal Police usually will not notify applicants that their CIE is ready to be picked up anywhere in Brazil. It is left up to the applicant himself/herself to check the Policia Federal website "Consulta de Processos" to keep track of the progress.

When the CIE is being processed there is a field "Recebimento" that will read "NÃO CONFIRMADO" , once the card has arrived at the Superintendência Regional where it was solicited and is ready for pick-up that field will change to "CONFIRMADO".

Cheers,
James           Expat-blog Experts Team

Dear James,

Bom Dia.

Yes this a very good change in granting Permanent Visa to the Spouse/or Child married to Brazilian.

I am planning to visit my wife in Brazil, and apply for VIPER/Permanent Visa.

What Indian Documents i must carry or what Notarized Documents i must carry along with me.

Regards,

Anil

The documents required for requesting permanency in Brazil based on marriage are:

Documents Required for VIPER Permanent Visa Application

Document that supports the initial application (i.e. Marriage Certificate proving marriage to a Brazilian citizen or permanent resident / Birth Certificate of your Brazilian born child)

1.     Completed application form, signed by the applicant.

2.     Clear and legible Certified copy of applicant's passport (ALL PAGES - even if blank) or equivalent travel document.

3.     Clear and legible Certified copy of applicant's Entry Card.

4.     Certified Criminal Record Check / Police Conduct Certificate issued in country where you reside, may not be more than 90 days before sumbission or not considered valid. This document must also be "legalized" by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in the country of issue.

5.     2  3 cm X 4 cm color photographs of applicant (on white background) Note: sunglasses or eyeglasses which might reflect light/flash must not be worn in these photos

6.     International certificate of vaccination (if requested)

7.     Clear and legible Certified Copy of Birth Certificate (if requested) or Marriage Certificate in the case of married women.

8.     Proof of address (in Brazil) - phone/electric/water bill

9.     Bank receipt for payment of visa fee (GRU - Guia de Recolhimento da União)

10.    Any other documents that may be requested by the Federal Police.

NOTE #1:  If you are required to provide any kind of DECLARATION, these must be have the signature of the declarant certified by the Cartório (Reconhecimento da firma por autenticidade - ONLY; note that there are two different kinds of "reconhecimento" so make sure you specify the right one, this is also the more expensive of the two types, the declarant must appear in person at the Cartório and produce identification).

Moved to another thread!  :lol:

Hi Victoria,

You did all three processes at the same time. That's why there were 3 GRUs to print off, one for each. If you look on the SINCRE you'll see an RNE number there, or at least you should.

The CPF is essentially like the Social Security number, but it is not at all confidential like in N. America. In fact, your entire credit history and purchase history at many shops and chain stores is tied directly to your CPF number. You don't exist if you don't have a CPF, you're more invisible than the "Invisible Man" from the 50s TV series and movies, and all the gauze wrappings in the world won't help you to be seen if you don't have the damned thing. It's so bad that when you go into places like Casas Bahia or other major stores they don't even ask your name, they ask your CPF number, punch it into their computer and it spits out every bit of information about you from your first burp and diaper change to every single purchase you've made with them and all their competitors. (Talk about Big Brother watching us all)

To get the CPF you apply at the nearest office of the Receita Federal, They no longer issue the plastic card like they used to. They will give you a CPF number and you can go to the Receita Federal website and download a printable CPF card that can be verified online by anyone who thinks it is necessary to do so, but even that's not likely. I'd recommend you print it off, cut it down to wallet size and then take it ot a stationery shop (papelaria) and get them to plasticize it. You'll need your passport, SINCRE and protocolo to show them. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. When the post office and Caixa Econômica Federal used to issue them there was a R$5 charge, but I believe now that you get them directly from the Receita there is no charge.

You may also want to apply for a work permit (Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS). For that you'll need to find out where the Superintendência Regional do Ministério de Trabalho is in Campinas. They're the ones who issue the permit for foreigners. You can't get it at just any of the Ministry offices like Brazilians can.  You'll need to take the originasl and a photocopies (doesn't need to be certified) of your Marriage Certificate, SINCRE, protocol and a 3X4 color photo. Depending on the location and their workload it may take up to 10 days for them to make up the book. There is no charge for the work book.

Cheers,
James

James, you are undoubtedly, THE MOST HELPFUL EXPAT in all of Brazil! Thank you again!  :kiss:

Dear James,

Very Useful Information.

Wow, Victoria what can I say after a comment like that, other than thanks so very much!!! It's just because of people like you that I accepted the invitation to volunteer for this position and what keeps me going strong.

Cheers,
James