Teaching English in Japan.

Hi,

I understand that a lot of companies require a degree to teach in Japan however, I was wondering if it's possible to teach English in Japan with a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA qualification. (I will be taking them within the next year)

I currently have my GCSE's and a access to HE teaching diploma (basically A levels with teaching involved) I have had a little bit of TA work(only a few months) and have had to take a break from my studies due to life problems. I was told that it would benefit me more to go to university and acquire a diploma although I was hoping that a CELTA/TEFL qualification would get me to where I wanted in a shorter time.

Don't take it the wrong way, I am willing to go to university but I want to do that at a later time in life(im aged 21) so I was thinking of spending a while in Japan teaching English and then go to university to acquire further education.

what's your opinion? :)

Welcome to Expat.com Dave!

Harmonie.:)

Thank you :)

Immigration requires a degree or 3 years of work experience to give you a work visa for teaching.

Don't have either? Brits 18-30 qualify for a working holiday visa good for a total of 12 months. Best bet in your case. Just having a TESOL cert will not cut it, and most employers won't care anyway.

I think you may be able to get a working holiday visa. So then you would be able to find a job legally teaching.

Nice job answering a 3-year-old post.