Hints & Tips for considering when looking to rent property on Malta.

Hints & Tips for considering when looking to rent property.
Compiled from other's contributions to this blog and personal experience.

Beware of agents! Some are good but many are predatory and will try to set you up with something that is not to your specifications. They may also promise you many things, which will not be done.

Be prepared for excuses, some of which may make you feel that your intelligence is being insulted, particularly when it comes to delivery and/or completion times.

Remember though there are many things that should be done, they are not always done in the way we may have been used to or we expect.

1    Always rent for a short period first to ensure you know more about the area, services and neighbours before committing yourself.

2    Always visit the area for external noises at varying times of day and night.

3    Check out parking restrictions.

4    If you have pets, makes sure the landlord will allow them, some may some may not. Some may on the offer of payment of a further damages/cleaning deposit.

5    If sunshine is important to you then try to get a south facing property...it can pay dividends in winter and cut your bills for heating quite considerably. Does your property get plenty of natural light?

6    Penthouses are fine but they are, as a general rule, very cold/damp in winter and too hot in summer. Assess the number of exposed external walls exposed to adverse weather conditions.

7    Make sure you have a lift in the block – hauling gas bottles and shopping up several flights of stairs is not fun as you get older. (Gas delivery will carry the cylinders for you, for a small charge above first floor.)

8    Check for air vents and fully opening windows – are there any signs of black damp, humidity and or condensation – feel the bedding.

9    Does it have insect screens on opening windows and doors; absolutely essential.

10    Does it have fans and or air con or at least fully opening windows?

11    Check out comfort of any furniture; sofas chairs and beds.

12    Are the appliances eco friendly units, power efficient units - same with lighting.

13    Is there a time-switch on the water heaters? - It may seem trivial but it may be worth fitting one.

14    Remember ground floor and mid floor apartments will suffer from a level of noise from units above, especially where young children are located.

15    Check if the rent includes charges for communal costs for lighting, lift and maintenance, and regular cleaning. If you are lucky enough to have access to a pool check that out too. If not then check what the costs are likely to be.

16    Is there an emergency lighting system in place for stair wells and lift shafts in the event of any power cuts? If not makes sure you have access to your own emergency light for the flat and a good torch - check the batteries!

17     If you have your own belongings and furniture assess as to whether you will need a furniture lifter and whether you can get items through the windows and or doors. Is there space for the lifter unit to stand – also note, a permit may be required usually available from the local council offices at about 2-3euros.

18    As there any outdoor spaces available to you to use privately or shared, if so identify them.

19    Are there enough electrical power sockets?

20    Gas cooking (oven and hob) is much cheaper to operate than electric.

21    Check out all your lighting features.

22     Always do an inventory check thoroughly and note any damages or anything missing – get it agreed and signed.

23    Check the water pressure as it can be very low and poor service for showers - check the taste of the water. Some people cannot stand the taste of the water and many get used to the taste. Filtered water can be bought in bulk and delivered at regular intervals in 10L or 20L containers.

24    Check the water tanks for the security of the lids – make sure they are wired down as insect larva can get in. Also check the toilets for flushing and that the stop cocks work properly.

25    TV phone and internet connections – check what's available – satellite systems check if you can have one installed, if that is what you wish.

26    Check for refuse collections, times and days and type of collection.

27    Check out how the bills for utilities will be presented to you.

28    Make sure you are named on the bills as named registered consumers on the account holder/owners bills, or get your bills in your own name - if you don't you may have problems later and you could undoubtedly end up paying more than you should. Ask your landlord to complete ARMS Form H to ensure that you, your family or anyone else legally residing with you, are registered as occupants. Form H here:
https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/w … OD=AJPERES

This is for the Landlord to do and enables the renter to get the lowest tariff:

29    Do an energy consumption check when you arrive. Check the start readings and after a normal week of consumption check it again and then do a calculation online here: https://mita.gov.mt/billsavings/
30    Ensure you get a copy of the two pages bill from ARMs and not just a handwritten or spreadsheet based extract compiled by the landlord.

31    Ensure you have a record of the rent paid and utility payments – a rent book is a good idea. Most landlords prefer to be paid cash...NB this may be so the landlord can avoid declaring income for tax.

32    Keep your bills and records of payments, this may help you later if you eventually have a problem

Always inspect your water tanks for security of the fittings as once the water is passed the meter it's your problem to pay for leaked water. As the tanks are usually out of sight on the roof - you could have a leak and not know it - another reason to check consumptions regularly and investigate any major fluctuations.

Also, never ever pay an estimated bill - they are often heavily over estimated - you are not obliged too - you may wish to make a contribution towards the bill by way of the meter service charges as that's all you are obliged to pay against the estimated bills. You do have 5 days in which to submit the correct readings and as such they have time to amend and submit a new bill.

Could have used this check list about 20 months ago - think we got most of it covered !

Very informative, thanks for the time and effort in writing it all.

Very usefull post! Thanks Red very helpfull when looking for places to rent which I am currently doing..  My plans were to head to dahlia in buggiba this morning.. Been email Darren from Dahlia .. Seems helpfull what are your thoughts?

Cheers
Darryl & Maria

I refer to my first paragraph........................Beware of agents! Some are good but many are predatory and will try to set you up with something that is not to your specifications. They may also promise you many things, which will not be done.
PM'd you.

Darrylmartin wrote:

Very usefull post! Thanks Red very helpfull when looking for places to rent which I am currently doing..  My plans were to head to dahlia in buggiba this morning.. Been email Darren from Dahlia .. Seems helpfull what are your thoughts?

Cheers
Darryl & Maria

Darren is very good and has been in the St. Paul's area for years. You should be fine with him.

I can recommend Graziella at Fairdeal Property based in Sweiqi.  Even helped us move from hotel to our new home.

Hello everyone, thought I would share my expreince of my trip into dahlia estate agents buggiba... Ok so went in spoke to Darren told him I was looking for a apartment in mellieha for max of €450 ... However he told me only one he has is €500 .. So went and had a look.. Lovely place.. Right on the front with stunning view! However I noticed on the way in a job lot of baby toys .. I love baby's and kids but I moved to malta for peace a quite lol... Its was a 2 bed with stacks of room! ........So Darren told me it would be 1 months rent (€500) plus (€500) deposit and half a months rent for fee (€250) plus vat (€45) to move in. I hope this gives you travellers a idea of costs... I would like to add that where I'm from Hampshire (south Uk) this place would cost you about £1000+ per month.

Cheers
Darryl & Maria

Also want to add that Darren from Dahila estate agents is a smashing guy very helpfull!

😎😎😎

Can I just say that I never paid vat on the agents fees ... Did he give you a VAT receipt?

they may have charged it but not declared it - added bonus ... for them

Darrylmartin wrote:

Also want to add that Darren from Dahila estate agents is a smashing guy very helpfull!

😎😎😎

Sorry just found this and couldn't let it pass without comment:
You had said to the agent no more than 450 and ended up paying 500.
Perfectly illustrates my point about so many agents not identifying what you want.
And you paid VAT?
Welcome to Malta  ;)

I never took a property with dahlia I went away ... Posted on here... Saw responses ... And now have my answer

Thanks peeps

Ps:one thing I never do in malta is dive in I always go away to gather my thoughts  :)
Thanks again guys

Darrylmartin wrote:

😎😎😎

yes at making 295 euro for himself lol
your right that property here is cheaper overall compared to uk prices

Should maybe made myself more clear... Darren is a smashing guy.. Very helpfull .. However I myself would not rent a place from him... But I would go for a beer with him. So please don't read this a think I'm slagging him off because I'm not in anyway.. He was very helpfull and I learnt a few things from him. I'm sure a lot of people have been happy with is service.

Cheers

i wasnt slagging him off either , i dont know him however i just prefer not to deal with letitng agents , however i think its a good idea when your researching an area to speak to an agent to see whats on the market, the costs of things and to get infomration on areas

Partly the reason  why I went in there.... And never said you were slagging him off.... Was just making it clear that i wasn't.  :)

Cheers

Chardor wrote:

Can I just say that I never paid vat on the agents fees ... Did he give you a VAT receipt?

Hi, due to earlier comment of me noticing on the way in i spotted a job lot of baby toys and I moved to malta for peace and quiet ... I did not take the property ....should of made myself more clear .. Sorry

also can I ask what did you pay to move in... Deposit etc.. Clearly No vat  :D

Cheers

Apologies, I read that you had taken the property. All is now clear. However, it still illustrates how some agents work.

i paid 500 euro to move into my property ... 250 rent 250 deposit ... and this was 28th june ..i guess we got lucky lol

Yes red I agree on what you were saying about estate agents ... As you also pointed out about me telling him my budget of 450 and I end up looking at one for 500 lol

its always the way they will always show you more expensive accom and they will show you crap too to make you feel that you have to spend it..... better to go and find a property without an agent at all

Just like to say we rented though Darren, he showed us 3 properties all within budget, and the one we rented was 75€ below. I personally would rent via him again , its like all over the world there are people good at their job and others not! :)

Fusspot wrote:

Just like to say we rented though Darren, he showed us 3 properties all within budget, and the one we rented was 75€ below. I personally would rent via him again , its like all over the world there are people good at their job and others not! :)

As I said in my earlier comments regarding other people having a good service from Darren ... And heard many others having a good service to... You clearly being an example,I myself would of rented from him if I did not have to pay the extra costs .. Don't mind paying a deposit... But paying another half a month rent and vat.. I felt it was a bit to much... But apart from that great service.

Cheers

Hello to you all,

I'm a new comer to your forum and would appreciate some help and advice. I've lived in the UK all my life due to changes in my circumstances I feel now is a good time to move on, and with my life.
I intend to visit Malta over the next few months to get a feel of it, my friend who lives in Malta 3/6 months of the year, says it's a great place to live and the people are kind and friendly, my other friends who has taken holidays in Malta says it's wonderful place to chill out.
When I visit Malta I intend to rent a self catering studio/one bedroom apartment in Gozo can you please provide me with some Hotels that has self catering facilities.
My plans are to leave the UK and relocate to Malta which I know will provide me with a better quality of life and to my health due to the much warmer climate Malta has to offer.

My question is
Do prices stay the same if  I rent  2 bedr with someone or by myself?
(I've seen it all...)
As to the topic above ive been renting with landlords and only once went ahead with an agent it has its pros I literally didn't have any time to scan for decent properties and he did that for me I think if ur i such situation its worth paying commission.

We went to see Darryl and were not impressed! Too off-hand. We wanted to rent in Marsaskala so  he sent us to the Fgura branch. Fortunately we found the property we are now renting in St Thomas Bay after seeing about 6 rentals in the vacinity. We paid the rent, a deposit and half rent to the agent (admin fees!!). The owners paid the same - half rent. Must say the agent we dealt with worked for his money. He organised screens on doors, 2 new geysers and a microwave. Also had apartment, carpets and bedding cleaned before we moved in!!

Ty this is good for us as we are starting out looking for places still in uk but thinking of coming over in April

Hi guys, would like to say I have been to loads of estate agents this week and it seems that all of them charge the same rates! So for example as mentioned before if the property is €500 per month... They all ask for €500 deposit... €500 month rent in advance ... Half a months rent which is fee for agent €250 and the 18% vat.... What are your views peeps ... I'm kinda having to go estate agent due to me wanting house with garage next to beach etc etc.....

Standard rates in Malta !The owner pays the other half of the 500 €= 250 € as well. 

So you are paying 250 € for the agent. All the rest goes against your account with the flat owner.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Standard rates in Malta !The owner pays the other half of the 500 €= 250 € as well. 

So you are paying 250 € for the agent. All the rest goes against your account with the flat owner.

Cheers
Ricky

Cheers Ricky I thought as much... I think going private is the way forward ... But what I worry about is the landlord putting rent up 3 months later....

Using an agent to find your property is no guarantee that any landlord would not do as you fear.
Any contract should be between you and the landlord.

redmik wrote:

Using an agent to find your property is no guarantee that any landlord would not do as you fear.
Any contract should be between you and the landlord.

Thank red ill certainty go through the contract more than once! Hope your enjoying the lovely weather! ☀️🌴😎

Yes, thank you. One thing, make sure that the landlord has responsibility for cleaning the water tank at least every 12 months or so.

redmik wrote:

Yes, thank you. One thing, make sure that the landlord has responsibility for cleaning the water tank at least every 12 months or so.

Nice one red something else i read up on a while bk and gone out my mind till u just mentioned it cheers 👍

First time I've heard of Having the tank cleaned. Is this a health requirement? Who does the physical cleaning? Our landlord lives in the UK!!!

The lids of the water tanks may become insecure and contamination may occur from foreign matter entering the water. I do recognise that most, if not all, people here drink bottled water or boil their tap water before using it in cooking, drinks etc. However, I have always been advised to have this done by my landlady and others. It makes sense to me. At least have the security of the lids checked.

Thanks, Better safe than sorry!!

Better safe than sorry in more than one sense!!  :o

Wind pushes water tank off roof, hits pedestrian
52-year-old woman hospitalised after she was hit a water tank that fell off a roof.

A 52-year-old woman was rushed to Mater Dei Hospital after she was hit by a water tank that fell off a roof.
Anna Buttigieg, of Hamrun, was walking in Triq Patri Magri when the tank, due to strong winds, fell off the roof.
The condition of the woman is not yet known.
A car was also damaged in the incident that happened at around 4.15pm.

redmik wrote:

The lids of the water tanks may become insecure and contamination may occur from foreign matter entering the water. I do recognise that most, if not all, people here drink bottled water or boil their tap water before using it in cooking, drinks etc. However, I have always been advised to have this done by my landlady and others. It makes sense to me. At least have the security of the lids checked.

While I agree that the lids are a problem and can contaminate the water, the tank water is only for the bathrooms etc. Kitchen water for drinking, cooking, is mains water and comes directly in. No need to boil first.

I have had a tank that had 1 foot of sludge in the bottom from it having no lid at all, so good advise about checking the tanks.

That is not correct in all establishments.
Not worth taking the chance.
Regulations state that at least one supply must be from the mains and often it is only one and not necessarily to the kitchen tap.
We discussed this at length a couple of years ago and i had a copy of regs showing this but too far back to find now.