Moving to Muscat

Hi All

Good Day to you. I am an Indian  and have small family with one 8 year old child. I have been offered a Job in Oman with 2100 Rials + company car+ Insurance for Family and accomodation will have to arrnage myself . I would like to opt for an Indian School for my Daughter. Work Place will be in Ruwi. Kindly advise is the above package sustainable in Muscat. We ae a very grounded family and like to strike balance between what we earn and what we spend.

Thanks a Ton.

HI rinkubist,

The package offered is quite decent.

You should be able to manage comfortably, given your family size and lifestyle.

Good luck.

Thanks ear Sumitran

Thanks a ton for useful infoWill I be able to save something although this is a very subjective issue, still a idea seeing that we don't prefer eating out too much and totall teetotaller.
Once again thanks  a ton.

Regards

Hi rinkubist,

After all expenses, you should be able to easily put aside say about 50% of your monthly income.

Best of luck.

Good Day Mr Sumitran

Many Thanks for all the info.
Have nice day.

Warm Regards

Good Day Mr. Sumitran

Can you please advise on decent Indian locality to rent a appartment in nod around Muscat.
Also if you can advise the present rent for One bed room appt in these locality.

Regards

Indian expatriates are concentrated in neighbourhoods like Al Khuwair, Mumtaz Area, Al Falaj Area, Darsait, Wadi Kabir, Ruwi and Muttrah.

Since your workplace will be in Ruwi you should ideally look at Ruwi, Al Falaj Area, Darsait, Wadi Kabir and Muttrah (though it is better to avoid Muttrah). Al Khuwair would be a bit far, especially if you do not have your own transport.

Hi Mr. Sumitran

I have one more query regarding family resident visa. My employers are insisting that they will get resident visa for my family as soon as possible. I read in some of the blogs that they have min six months restriction rule before you can apply for the family resident visa. I checked in the Royal Oman police site and in the site the requirements are given and no where it states that six month rule is applicable. Kindly advise on this.

Warm Regards!!!!!

rinkubist wrote:

Hi Mr. Sumitran

I have one more query regarding family resident visa. My employers are insisting that they will get resident visa for my family as soon as possible. I read in some of the blogs that they have min six months restriction rule before you can apply for the family resident visa. I checked in the Royal Oman police site and in the site the requirements are given and no where it states that six month rule is applicable. Kindly advise on this.

Warm Regards!!!!!

It is not mentioned on the ROP website, however, as per a general practice (Followed in most of the companies), related to the same, they provide the family joining visa in 6 months.

rinkubist wrote:

Hi Mr. Sumitran

Warm Regards!!!!!

Hi rinkubist,

Am quite surprised that this has not been mentioned in the ROP website.

Perhaps no one has bothered to update the amendment to the rule ever since it was implemented.

What schaz says is correct.

Dear Sumitran

Thanks for your last reply on family visa. I did travel to Muscat to meet my employer. They were very co-operative and insisted that I should get my family as soon as possible after joining. I have following query:

1) In case the employer has no problem then family joining is possible before 6 months? ( I WILL BE WORKING AT MANAGER LEVEL )

2)  The post for which I am being recruited was already being held by an expat who left few months ago. In this case is it easier fort hem to get my labour clearance and resident visa since the post was already held by an expat?

Regards

rinkubist wrote:

Dear Sumitran

Thanks for your last reply on family visa. I did travel to Muscat to meet my employer. They were very co-operative and insisted that I should get my family as soon as possible after joining. I have following query:

1) In case the employer has no problem then family joining is possible before 6 months? ( I WILL BE WORKING AT MANAGER LEVEL )

2)  The post for which I am being recruited was already being held by an expat who left few months ago. In this case is it easier fort hem to get my labour clearance and resident visa since the post was already held by an expat?

Regards

Hi,

Answering your first query - your family joining you is NOT your employer's choice. It is the immigration department that would decides that. The current waiting period is 6-months (exceptions exist).

I don't know how your employer has told you that your family can join you before that. Unless of course you are in some leadership / C-level position.

About your second query, yes the company holds the job clearance. So they can get your employment visa within a relatively short time.

Good luck.

Dear Sumitran

Many thanks for your reply and I wish and hope for an early family joining. Once again your sincerity in giving prompt replies is highly appreciable.

Regards!!!!!

The 6 months rule does not exist. I was able to join my husband in 2 weeks.

Good Day Priyanka

Thank you so much for the update. Feeling relaxed after hearing this. Wish you pleasant and happy life in Oman.

Regards

Dear All

If I stay in Ruwi can you advise an Indian school which is good and near by also. Kindly note that priority is good school even if it involves traveling a little bit distance. Also when does the admission procedure for 2015-2016 session will start.

Regards

Hi rinkubist,

There are a few Indian schools in and around the Ruwi neighborhood - Indian School Darsait; Indian School Muscat; and the Indian School Al Wadi Al Kabir. And, there is no such thing here as a "good" Indian school. They are all similar in standards, with some perhaps a wee bit better than others.

I am told that the Indian School in Al Ghubra is the best of the lot. Then again all these views and opinions are largely subjective. But the overall standards of all the Indian schools in Oman is far lesser when compared to the quality of education offered and available in India.

If you are going to be staying in Ruwi and if you want your child to study in Al Ghubra , it will not be easy. Daily commute would be a huge hassle given the rush hour traffic and the distance. The reason why Indian expats are concentrated in and around the above mentioned areas is only because of the proximity to the schools where their wards are studying.

Good luck.

Hi rinkubist,

Now the new updated law states that a person can bring his family on a dependent visa only after three months from his resident card approved date...so I.have bought my family on visit visa which is valid for three.months...

priyanka_abhi wrote:

The 6 months rule does not exist. I was able to join my husband in 2 weeks.

Hi,

Please don't be categorical in your comments.

Like mentioned earlier, exceptions do exist. And your case is clearly an exception.

That does not mean the same is the story for every expatriate who wishes to bring his family.

Can anybody advise what is Grade SP-2 in an employment contract. Actually the post is of Manager level.

Regards

rinkubist wrote:

Can anybody advise what is Grade SP-2 in an employment contract. Actually the post is of Manager level.

Regards

HI rinkubist,

Different companies follow different internal / employee grading systems.

There is no one universal grading system that is being followed anywhere.

Depending on the joining employees seniority, qualifications, past track record, position being offered in the organisation, and other such factors, the grades would be assigned individually.

Dear Sumitran

Thanks a lot for your prompt replies and guidance.
Is 2150rials all inclusive+medical insurance + annual family ticket to India+ 50%school fees considered to be a good package in upper middle class living.

Regards

rinkubist wrote:

Dear Sumitran

Thanks a lot for your prompt replies and guidance.
Is 2150rials all inclusive+medical insurance + annual family ticket to India+ 50%school fees considered to be a good package in upper middle class living.

Regards

Hi rinkubist,

Though not fantastic figure, yes, it is a decent salary - more than what most white collared Indian expatriates would be making.

If furnished accommodation had been provided by your company then the offer would have been significantly better, as your monthly housing cost would be a major and recurring expenditure.

Setting up the house would also be a big one-time cost that you have to factor in as well.

Very good offer in terms of current situation.  All the best to you.
Don't be very particular about Indian School Al Ghubra.  Travelling time from Ruwi specially during peak hours will be around 45 to 60 minutes, thereby the Child will be too tired, specially during Summer.  Be flexible, ISM or ISWK  too should be good.

My best wishes to you.

Dear Ibala

Thanks a lot for your positive words. I will in fact try for Indian School Muscat which is closer to Ruwi and will rent an accommodation which is closer to her school even if it results in me traveling a longer distance to my work place.

Can I get an advise on what will be the rent of good 2 bedroom apartment in Ruwi?

Best and fond Regards

Good Day All

What is gratuity as per Omani local law. Is it deducted from the wages you are offered or else it is entirely separate amount to be deposited by the Employer?

Regards

Hi Sumitran,
i have received the below offer , please let me know is it good enough to stay in muscat and how much saving is possible for a family (couple and a child) below are offer details :-

1. We agree to pay you monthly in arrears a local currency salary of R.O 570/- (Rials Omani
    Five Hundred and Seventy only) per month. The Company will also pay you a living allowance
    of R.O 380/- (Rials Three Hundred and Eighty only) per month.
2. On successful completion of probation you will be on Family Status, and will be paid an all
    inclusive house rent allowance of R.O 300/- (Rials Omani Three Hundred only).
3. You will also be paid a transport allowance of R.O. 100 /- (Rials Omani One Hundred only) per
    month after obtaining Omani License, which includes your fuel allowance.

krishna_kamble wrote:

Hi Sumitran,
i have received the below offer , please let me know is it good enough to stay in muscat and how much saving is possible for a family (couple and a child) below are offer details :-

1. We agree to pay you monthly in arrears a local currency salary of R.O 570/- (Rials Omani
    Five Hundred and Seventy only) per month. The Company will also pay you a living allowance
    of R.O 380/- (Rials Three Hundred and Eighty only) per month.
2. On successful completion of probation you will be on Family Status, and will be paid an all
    inclusive house rent allowance of R.O 300/- (Rials Omani Three Hundred only).
3. You will also be paid a transport allowance of R.O. 100 /- (Rials Omani One Hundred only) per
    month after obtaining Omani License, which includes your fuel allowance.

Hi krishna_kamble,

For a small family like yours the package is good, even though everything is going to be on you. The only concern would be the one-time home setting up expenses. That could cost you a bit. Hope your company would provide you with some kind of a cash advance as you would need it.

Once the initial house setting up is done, then your main cost would only be your monthly house rent. Rest of the expenses would all be nominal. But don't compare the costs here with the cost of living in India, as it is cheaper in India than it will be here.

Read the forum for a detailed break down on the cost of living in Muscat / Oman. You will get all the information that you would need. It would not to be too difficult to save over 50% of your monthly income once you settle down. I am assuming that your child is not school going yet. Getting your Omani driving licence would cost you close to a thousand rials. My guesstimate is post all these expenses of course.

Good luck.

Thanks Sumitran for your guidance.My child is due in the month of June , so I will be alone for a year.

So it will  take at least a year to bring her to Oman.Also I would seek your help on giving me some reference nos. for sharing accommodation in muscat.