Expats moving to HCMC

Hi, we are moving to HCMC after the Tet holidays. To be honest I am not so fond of going to Vietnam as I love to stay in my own country but husband's duty calls..
After my 1st visit I am not so sure if HCMC is such a safe city, I heard there are many burglary and even chloroform break ins?? I am not sure if these are wild west stories. But not very re-assuring when we come with small kids:(.
I checked and noticed that everybody is telling that the APSC compound is the most safest compound in district 2. Our kids ( North European) should go to the British school or the ISHCMC. I really liked both schools. I also liked the houses in that APSC compound but there are barely nice ones available. So my question is which other safe compound is also nice and close to the schools plus with many kids (age 4-8) and also some European families? Also could anybody tell me what is the hardest thing to get in HCMC and I really should bring to my new life in Vietnam? Thanks for your kind help!
Have a super nice day.
Floca

I think Vietnam is pretty safe. Sure lots of scammers and thieves but that's why you have to adapt a hardened street mentality. But you won't have to worry about being randomly shot at or beat up on.

You will like district 2. Not crowded and I've seen many expats jogging and walking their dogs. There is also lots of security guys watching some of the buildings from residentials to businesses so you should feel if you don't isolate yourself and make yourself an easy target.

What to bring to Vietnam? I'd say a good attitude and an open mind. People in Vietnam tend to take 1 rare incident to the extreme and apply it like it's an everyday occurrence without examining the reasons for it happening in the first place. Than they will spread it like wild fire. So yeah keep an open mind and good attitude and you will be happy to live in Vietnam.

second that.khanh 44

thanks guys for your advice!

in big cities as Hanoi or Saigon
There have so many things like that
if you do not like to live in Sai gon, why not chose our place
we are in Quang ninh which is far away from Saigon
but safe place and you can teach english for our school

good idea, but my husband's work is in district1 in HCMC...

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Linh, sounds great! Thanks

Can I have your contact number PSE ?
Andy Ang...

If you're worried about safety why not consider living in an apartment instead? There are a couple of higher-end ones in District 2 which you would probably be able to afford, plus they have recreational facilities for your kids (swimming pool, minimart, etc). I'm the biggest fan of a place called The Estella, it's on the other side of the main road but it's a proper Singaporean-developed luxury apartment standard (i.e. luxury being facilities and design, not ridiculously high rental prices) and it's walking distance to Parkson/Big C.