New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourself here

This is wonderful , and very helpful Ann. Thanks for posting. If I ever make it to that area I will look you up. The last attempt to check out Escondido was side tracked because of the hurricane. I know your area was not impacted but I would have been traveling from far south of you so it did change my plans.

If you want help in findiing RE call Juan.  He is HONEST.  Not all RE agents are!  Finding a person who does not want to RIP Off a gringo is rare.  I speak from experience.  Juan is like a concierge or just a good friend.  He is not OUT to scam anyone.       .  He helps with any needs.  He is just one of those truly good people
And he takes such good care of me and several others I know like me. And it is not about $  He does more pro bono things and has to be persuaded to take $ for
the little extras he does.  I 

New to expat forum.

I am a San diego Ca landscape architect and former peace corps volunteer. Now living in San Luis de la Paz. Would like to meet some expats in San Miguel Allende . i am a single (widow) and am enjoying my golden years drawing, studying Spanish and learning about the native medicinal plants.
Would like to attend any group functions with other expats.

Rita

Thank you, Anne.  I appreciate the help and will call Juan.

However, this does not look like a valid phone number (011521664228111)

Have you got a # for this guy? Or what company he works for??

Thx,
Sabra

Sabrals,
Phone numbers in mexico are different. 01-area code- then the number  which unlike the U.S. is 10 numbers not 7.

Buenos tardes from San Miguel de Allende. Just arrived last Friday in time for Dia de Muertos. Fourth winter in sunny Mexico, second in the beautiful highland colonial city of San Miquel. I'm a long time blogger and my current focus is snowbirdsoliloquy.wordpress.com which offers observations and insider tips on how to be a temporary resident in a sunny locale  leaving rainy or snowy winter north of the border far behind. This particular winter, I'm working at selecting and expanding my very best blogs and turning them into an up to the minute guide for retired sniwburds. The working title at this point is ' One Suitcase Snowbird.'

Hi,Im Neil from Edinburgh,I have been living in Mexico for 3yrs now .I live here for 6 months and work in Canada for 6 months ,cheers.

Sorry that was a typo    011 52 1 664 22i 1111
Taxi Libres are indendently owned,  Juan Garcia (Ibbara). They are strictly licensed, inspected etc. He has to "renew" at the first of every month,
Juan has driven for me on a monthly retainer (when I needed it for six years)  Now in  my 9th year, using him less as I am part time in the States.   He stops for stop signs, red lights etc, (doesn't necessarily  happen with all taxi drivers.  He speaks fluent English.  He is incredbly honest  Always very helpful and he has SEAT BELTS that are buried under the seat. Unusual to find seat belts.  I once waited at the taxi stand at the border (before I found Juan) through 7 taxis before I got one who would get his seat belts out from under the seat for me to use. He doesn't smoke or and rarely drinks.....maybe at a wedding or some event like that, he might have a drink.  I know his wife and his kids, He is a good family man AND just an all round great guy. When I was living in Playas fulltime he stopped by early every morning to make sure I was okay and at my age that was helpful.

RE Juan's seat belts.  I meant to say ARE NOT BURIED.  Sorry about that.

Again his phone number (sorry about that typo, too)

011 52 1 664 228 1111   be sure to use the 1 in front of "664" as it is a mobile phone.

My wife and I are going to be in Peurto Penasco (Rocky Point) November 11th through the 14th.  I would love to visit with someone there about living there.  We are looking to move to that area in the near future.

I am mexican and I did study almost three years in the United States, in Irving Texas.

Now I feel like a foreigner in my own country.

Are you still in Mexico City?

:D:D I like parties, to have two o three beers, specially on Friday and Saturday.

I enjoy some cultural life  :D in Mexico City, my favorite is the Antropological Museum but also like very much the Franz Mayer Museum by the Alameda Central.

I visit frequently the Library in Parque Mexico, also the Library of Goethe Institut in # 43 Tonalá . Sometimes they have free events.

Hope to know very many of you soon, Ignacio Ysita del Hoyo.

I am planning an extended visit to San Miguel de Allende in the spring of 2015. I lived and attended school in San Miguel in the 70's and have returned to visit several times. This time I want to bring my little dog Topper. I am particularly interested if this will be a problem...I feel not but would like some info on best way to get to Leon and from Leon to SMA with a dog in tow. Dog of course is adorable and well behaved. Hope SMA will be welcoming and safe for him???

Hola,  There is a 29 dollar USD  airport shuttle from Leon that you can book online. viaje sanmiquel.com or something like that. If the dog is crated he should be fine. Note that your rental options are limited here with a pet or you will have to pay a pet deposit. Buenos suerte. joanna_b   snowbirdsoliliquy.wordpress.com

Welcome to Mexico.

Where do you live now Neil?

Hello from Wyatt and Joy,

In 2013 we moved to the beautiful Pacific Northwest, from Texas and Colorado.  We have been married 3 plus years, so I moved from the Houston, Texas area to Pagosa Springs, Colorado.  The move from high humidity to high dry dessert was tough on the skin and hair.   After a 1.5 years living in a century old house, while remodeling I am wanting to go on another adventure.  Traveling to other countries have always been an adventure.

Presently, I am gathering information to present to Wyatt on traveling, housing and who we can meet and what we could do in San Miguel de Allende. It would be wonderful to be there before the end of the year.  My hope is that I can establish a few friendships on line, to give me some true information.  Then visit with some folks we meet on line.  Also, can you tell me about the large lake, shown on the map, not far from San Miguel.  Can you tell me how to talk with some one in English about the area.

Fifties have been fabulous years and I shall enjoy the few that are left and Wyatt has just entered into his seventies.  These ages are much younger than I thought when I was 35 years old. ha ha  We have friends that are older and some that have small children and most ages in between.

I would like to find a house to rent for a month or more, hear about your experiences traveling from the USA or another country.  What we could expect when arriving at the air port, which air port is most commonly used.  What knowledge did  you know, that you were so thankful to know.  Also, what do you wish you had known, before leaving home.  If you drove in, how did that work for you and how did you manage in the border towns, where I have heard can be a little dicey or problematic.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Joy

Hi Everyone,

I'm back from holidays in Mexico.  I have the short version or long version.   Not sure if I should bore you. But not sure if I liked San Miguel like most others.  Hope your November is going well.  Mexico is wonderful.  Chicago is freezing.

All the Best!

Hello, everybody! This is Airi here! Hahaha, I have 2 months in the City, but didn't have time to meet new people until now!

I'm 17 years old, and I'm from Venezuela! And I really want to meet new people! Soooo, write me, please!  :D  <3

hola amigas amigos  buen dia ..mi ensenada baja no like it here most people i run across all deported and mad at usa and take it out on some of us ..i liked veracruz and chipas better   but may be to dangerous now .for me and my 250 honda moto to go..been all over mex.and central amer.and no trouble but here just feel unwelcome iam retired also so i can travel

baja sur is only place to ..baja norte is unwelcome us people

That is not true.  I came to Baja Norte in 2006.  It is a great place to live...........just choose your spot as you would any where else.  THere are lots of expats in Playas who work in San Diego and commute every day.....also in Santa Fe and Rosarito and places in between.  Ensenada is great (but not for commuting, of course).  I don't now WHERE you get the idea that Baja Norte is not a good place but you are wrong.  I wouldn't live in parts of Tujuana but then I wouldn't live in Harlem if in NYC or on Chicago's South Side, East Palo Alto in the Bay are or in Watts or Compton in LA.

let me tell you it is my opinion and that of a lot of my friends american and mexican..in last 5 years ..i live in chapultepec area and when i get on bus i say hi and people ignore me a mexican walk up and say hi and they respond .i have been coming down here for 64 years and just stay here for winter and then not coming back ...i have no problem in any other place in world .i travel viet nam laos thialand phillipines panama honduras ..and people welcome me there to there country.. here a lot of deported people here 6 of the bus drivers i know are deported ..and they say it is changed if you stay in gringo havens you may not really know .i stay in a mexican house for cheap..i think i may check out rosarito .and see attitude is there good thank for listen to my point of view...i lived in juarez mx for past7 years no trouble for me there..

Hello everyone my name is Bhagat. I am from India moving to Mexico city in January. I will work for a multinational company. Looking forward to make friends in Mexico city.cheers. Bhagat

go ahead and take the risk of boring us Mbhagat. If people are thinking about an area the up and downs are important. What wasn't so good about your trip ?

Hi all,Iam from Alabama and have moved to Coatzacoalcos Veracruz as of last month.The first week was a little difficult,this town is not very easy on the eyes.The food is fantastic and cheap,things in general are a little more expensive than expected.I think I am going to like it here.

Hi Neill,my name is colin,im originally from Dublin but now living in in Coatzacoalcos.It is an oil refinery town,the center for Pemex actually.I have seen pictures of Merida and it looks very nice I must say.Nice to see you here,God bless,Colin.

That is nice to know about Coatzacoalcos, how is job employment in Coatzacoalcos ?
i am a mechanical engineer, living in Coyoacán Mexico city and i need a job.

Greetings! My name is Christine Maynard. I am from Louisiana, but have lived in many locales around the world. I was living in a casa in Centro in the Fall, and I'll return in March to live in San Miguel de Allende permanently. I'm a 56 year old writer with grown sons and grandsons in Austin, TX. Some of my work is on whatwomenweave.com
I am eager to find a room or half a house to rent. Please contact me here if you have suggestions!
All Best
Christine Maynard
[email protected]
318 527 1864

Hola Karen,  dios bendiga tu vida, mi esposa Dina y yo te mandamos un saludo, requerimos, si tu puedes ayudarnos, estaríamos agradecidos , un familiar nuestro, murió por hallá , queremos  obtener su acta de defunción, nosotros te  giramos los gastos, ¿ nos podrías ayudar?, para mandarnos el acta. No sabíamos del estado de Iliana,  ayudanos por favor, su hijo mejicano, Gerardo Torrescano Vargas , por que tiene otros allá, esta en un estado mental deplorable y ahora sin su madre, ayudanos a encontrar el acta de defunción, por que con ese documento ayudaría a que lo interne pues no tendría otro apoyo
Intentamos obtener el documento con la embajada pero de hace casi dos años a la fecha no hemos tenido respuesta.

Se llamó: Iliana Vargas González Rubio, También Iliana Vargas de Steiton o equivalente por que se caso con un inglés.

Domicilio: 25 minor park bristol Inglaterra, perdona las faltas de ortografía porque no sabemos inglés.

Te agradeceríamos mucho una respuesta.

Christine, you should look on the housing section of this blog you would have better luck there.than in the forum.

Blessings to everyone!!!

I'm very happy top found this blog, a lot of excellent insight and experience to help others it's priceless!!
I'm looking forward to move to Mexico in San Miguel Allende or Bahias de Huatulco, one big advantage I have is that I am a Mexican citizen and language for me is not a problem at all. I'll be visiting San Miguel for one week to have the "feeling of the place"  I'll be looking for places to live, to work, to volunteer and of course to make friends and celebrate my daughter's birthday and have fun. I'll post my findings for the ones are looking for the same info. I just wonder if there is any other Mexican citizens trying to come back from u.s. to live in beautiful Mexico or already living in San Miguel or Huatulco and how your experience has been throughout the process.
Thank you all and happy holidays!!!
Carmen

Gracias for the suggestion!
C

@ Enrique vinicio > Please post in english only on this english speaking forum please.

---------------

@ All

Please note that this topic has been created for the introduction of the new members only. If you have some questions to ask, i will advise you to create a new thread on the Mexico forum.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

I am Bob Hopkins. Moving to Leon at the end of December. I will teach at Monterrey Tec for a year. My subjects will be social and civic responsibility, philanthropy, social entrepreneurship. I am from the University of Texas Arlington. I am a horse owner in Dallas and pan to go back to Dallas once a month. I am still doing some work for UTA. Currently I am looking in Leon for housing.

Hi I would like to know something about San Miguel de Allende, I live in Florida now but until Jun of this year my wife and I lived in  Ajijic Jalisco for 4 years. She has past away and I am thinking of moving back to Mexico. I live on SS about $ 900.50 a mouth. All I need is a one bed apartment.

Hola everyone,

I would like to introduce myself and tell you who i am and where I am. 

I moved to Isla Mujeres 6 years ago from Canada and am currently living here and loving it.  When I first got here I bought a little pizza business and ran that for 4 years.  It was a great way to get to know the locals and learn about business here.  I have since sold the business and now work in real estate.  My start was selling condos in a new development.  Now I have found I have a love of selling people dream homes/condos abroad and enjoy everyday at work like no other job I've ever had. What I have is questions on property in cuba and new laws there on canadian ownership.I'm also new at blogs so please be patient with me.

Being from Calironia and having lived in all the states in the southwest, I have visited and lived in Mexico many times for realitvely brief periods from 6 mos. to a year. I finally decided to move down here. My first caution to any prospective expat is the learn Spanish! I am at the advanced intermediate an am nowhere near where I want to and feel I need to be. You will be absolutely in the dark about what is being said, and what is going on around you if you do not speak the language.

Do not epect Mexicans to speak english, because most don't, and why should they? Also, take time and learn about the culture. I see too many Americans transplanting themselves to a US expat center and isolating from the normal Mexican people. I feel that is not only a mistake it is dead wrong. You might as well remain in America if the US way of life, customs and language are what you are really all about.

Mexicans immediately respect you if you speak Spanish and a know a bit about their country. If you don't they tolerate you with a politie smile. This may not be what you want to hear but it is the truth. It is better to know these things up front than to learn them the hard way. In addition, do not expect most things to be cheaper in Mexico becaue they are ether the same or more than in the US. That is true for eveyrthing but RENT.

If it were not for the very good deal I get on my apartment here in Ensenada, I would not be in Mexico. That is the only economic advantage over the US. Try to buy a computer, anything electronic, gas or whatever you find this out quickly. Mexico is not at all what it used to be. I was first down in in 1964, so I am speakng from direct experience. The people are not as friendly and warm. There is a great deal of underlying resentment due to the US poltical stance on illegal immigration and negatively many Americans view it.

Mexicans will not confront you about these things they don't like confrontation. But read the newspapers and magazines. I think Mexico is drifting toward a US type of lifestyle. So I am questioning exactly what the advantages are of being here.

I agree with you.  You need to speak Spanish. I do. Moving to Leon, Mexico, my first time in the country as a resident?  Not legal.  But working here.  Anyone know anything about Leon or Guanajuato?  I leave in two weeks.  I've accepted a college professorship at Insituto Tecnologico de Monterrey, but at the Leon campus.  I don't even have a place to live as yet, am driving. Both challeges to overcome before I being teaching, Jan. 12th. 

If anyone can advise me about any of the above, I would be greatful. 

BOB

Closed