Schools for expatriate children in Quito

Hi all :)

We'd like you to extend any information you have on the educational system in Quito.

But of course, we'd like you to mainly talk about international schools (primary, secondary, high school and universities) existing in Quito for expatriate kids.

And also which structures are available for the little ones (pre-school).

Thanks a bunch for your participation!! It will be very helpful for newcomers to Quito:)

Are you looking for primarily English-speaking schools? There is Cotopaxi Academy http://www.alliance.k12.ec/(about $15,000/yr) which is a secular school for PreK-12 using an American curriculum and offers a U.S. or International Baccalaureate diploma.

There is Alliance Academy http://www.alliance.k12.ec/ (about $7,500/yr) which is a Christian school, using an American curriculum, and offers college prep and general diplomas.

There is The British School http://www.britishschoolquito.edu.ec/Nbritish.php?c=43 (about $7,500/yr) a secular school PreK-13 which uses a combination of British and Ecuadorian curriculum and offers an international baccalaureate.

I believe they all have mandatory Spanish classes every day, but the rest of the teaching is in English. 

There are some multi-lingual schools including Colegio Americano (Spanish and English) and Colegio Einstein (which teaches in Spanish, English, and Hebrew)

If you're of a mind to home school, there is at least one home school group I know of there as well.

Hello,

I'm moving to Quito next week.  I have a 6 year old and I'm interested in finding a dual language school for her.  I would prefer that tuition remain under $500 per month.

Any suggestions?  I'm also interested in homeschooling groups.

You mention you know an association of homeschooling in Quito? Please if you could provide the information I am planning to homeschool my 11 year old and don't know anyone who does it here.
I am ecuadorian, Spanish is my native language and I would love to meet other families homeschooling in Quito or surroundings. Muchas Gracias!!

Other private schools in Quito (or Cumbaya): Colegio Menor, Cotopaxi, Sek, Colegio Aleman, Terra Nova, and Liceo International.

NYRV:  I have a friend that is from Russia living in Quito and she'd like to home school (speaks Russian and Spanish).  Are you homeschooling? If so where could she get Spanish curriculum or get in touch with other homeschooling families?  Thanks so much!

Homeschooling in Ecuador is very new and it is not considered in the new law of education. Which means that her homeschooling will not be accepted in the educational system in Ecuador. There are a couple of relatively new small groups. We get together to do some activities, or just talk and support each other. If your friend wants to find the ecuadorian curriculum she should visit the Ministry of Education website (educacion.gob.ec), under it there is the "Publicaciones" and there she can download the free textbooks. Some are really nice some are so so, but at least she can have an idea of the topics. Tell her to write me and she can join the local groups.

Thank you!
Only problem is that she does not speak English. Could she write you in Spanish?
I checked the law for her under the HSLD site and it seems like the site says that the law in Ecuador is under revision but acceptable (again this is according to the lawyers).  However if HS is not recognized there she could do it through Conlara (Spain). clonlara.es/programas
I HS in the US so I know a little bit about it from this perspective but it would be good for her to get to know people in the country she is trying to do it in.

Hello,
She could write to me in Spanish. I am Ecuadorian my native language is Spanish. I could help her meet other families doing HS.

Does anyone know of any schools that follow a Canadian curriculum?

Hi, I read that there are some homeschooling groups in Quito. We are considering this for next school year and would love to have contact with any one doing this. Any advice would be welcome! Thank You.

Hello,
I want to ask about the fees for the American school KG2 level. And when the semester begins?
What the documents that the school needs?

Thank you.

Noha.

check their web page is http://www.fcaq.k12.ec
normally you should do all the paperwork way in advance. I am not familiar with their fees but is considered one of the expensive schools in Quito.

My son attended private school (Spanish) during the day and I homeschooled in English at night. He was 5 at the time. We used Calvert. The cost was about the same monthly as his school in Quito. We chose one of the less expensive schools in the city and were very happy with it. Calvert is an English language homeschool program. We were very happy with it as well. They will help you find other Calvert homeschool families in your area.

YSG,

Does your friends children speak Russian as well as Spanish? While I was in Ecuador I tried to find a Russian tutor to no avail. I was also a homeschool mom while I was in Ecuador. We are back in the US now and my son is studying Spanish and Russian. Do you think she would be interested in a pen pal program for the kids? My son attends a Russian school here. I think a pen pal would be a great way to perk his interests.

If your child went to a Spanish school and also home schooled, what Spanish school in Quito did he/she attend? Sounds like an interesting option! Thanks.

Hello, I'm a french woman, with my 6 years old boy, I would like to reach home schooling families in Quito, do you mind to give me your contacts, thanks, Nathalie

Dear blog members,
My husband, my 12-year-old son and I are moving to Quito in August. We are considering to send our son to the Einstein School, it has an IB program and is not as expensive as the American School. To us it is very important he keeps in touch with the English language. My son speaks Spanish, he only needs to learn how to write it.
I would like to know if the teachers at Einstein School are English native speakers, in the school`s homepage I only see Spanish names.
Thank you for any feedback you can give.
Amaranta

We are new to Cumbaya/Quito too.
We found international schools close to our new home: (we live somehow central to Cumbaya, so those schools look to me "close" from the point of American view, because to reach those schools we do not need to have a car :)  ) SEK Los Valles, Collegio Menor, Collegio Aleman, British School. All those schools in Cumbaya have also preK and Kindergarten structures.

However, I'm looking for a 'Shabbat' School for my child, where she could start to learn Hebrew.
We found Collegio Alberto Einstein in the North part of Quito, but we can not get any information on Friday/Sunday school for the small class teaching children Hebrew/Jiddisch.

Dear expatriats,
I am looking for an experienced English teacher for a 13-year-old boy. We live in Cumbayá.
Thanks for your replies,
Valeria

Hi Valeria,

I will invite you to please drop an advert in the Language teacher jobs in Quito section:)

It might help !

Thank you

Maximilien