Indian couple planning to move to Manila, Makati City for a year.

Hi All

We are planning to stay in Makati for a year for higher studies.
Can anyone give us information regarding following:
1) Availability of indian food.
2) Cost of housing
3) Food and other items which we should carry from India.

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Regards
Prachi

Hi Prachi,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will give you some informations about your queries very soon.

Wish you good luck
Christine

(moderated: no free ads please)

Hi Prachi,

We have restaurants that sells Indian Food so you need not to worry.
House cost would be Php 15 thousand up, within Makati.

Philipines is a very nice place to stay so you need not to worry.

Other than that there are a lot of Indians here too.

Grizza wrote:

Hi Prachi,

We have restaurants that sells Indian Food so you need not to worry.
House cost would be Php 15 thousand up, within Makati.

Philipines is a very nice place to stay so you need not to worry.

Thanks Grizza for your affirmative thoughts.

Christine wrote:

Hi Prachi,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will give you some informations about your queries very soon.

Wish you good luck
Christine

Hi Christine

I'm hoping so.. Thanks

I work with a lot of Indians and their major complaint is that the Indian food has been localised (salty or too sweet). But there are enough stores to buy staples so you can cook at home.

Grizza wrote:

Other than that there are a lot of Indians here too.

Hi Prachi,
There are quite a few Indian restaurants in Makati. Also there is a shop in Makati from where you can buy Indian Grocery, including Dals, Masala, Ready to eat items, snacks, biscuits, etc.
I have no idea on housing though.
And what to bring along, bring 1 pressure cooker, its quite expensive over here. Also bring some basic medicines, they are also expensive over here. You can also bring some food items for you initials days while you are settling down.

Welcome! I will connect you to the local friends from India here. The cost of condos can range from P15k above. There are a lot of local supplies of Indian food. Bring your medicines, your herbs, your seasonings. Bring your food that you love and can't go without or the food that you can have while settling down.

Send me a PM for your actual office address so I can locate a condo for you. I have a lot of realtor friends that you can trust.

I always prefer to stay near the Greenbelt area because it is walking distance to the commercial areas and yet you have a wonderful park in the middle of the malls. Safe and great place to go for a daily walk or jogging.

Pinaymentor

Thanks all of you for your inputs.
@pinaymentor: I will be there in AIM Manila.. so we may stay close to the college.

Please send me a private message on your budget so I can have our realtor look for the best deal for you. I've stayed in a condo there nearby and I've met a lot of students from AIM who stays there too.

Hi Prachi,

There are lines of Indian grocery stores along U.N. Avenue. And it's near the Temple. From there you can find masalas, chapati, and it's almost complete. It's near Makati so you don't have to worry.

For accommodation, it's best you find fully furnished ,studio type coz you're only couple, and just nearby AIM. Or you can get unfurnished but you have to buy furnitures, The only problem you will have is disposing it after your stay. But it would be more cheaper though. If you need help on this just send me message.

Things you can bring from India, I would suggest some basic medicines. In here it's quite expensive.

Goodluck!!

hi Prachi... I am staying in Makati for 11yrs... if you want anything you can contact me i will send my cell number in privately... there is an Indian store in makati in jupiter street named Assad... you will find everything there... and lots of indian restaurants like new bombay cantee, swagat, legend of india, bollywood, queens... so no worries... :)

Hi anitagade2003,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

11yrs in Makati!..wow.. Please do not hesitate to share you experiences with us on the forum. ;)

Thank you very much.

Hi Anita,

I noticed that you are living in Makati City for over 11 years. I am actually considering relocating to Makati City for work. I have two school going daughters (6 years and 9 years) so I would like to understand from you about overall cost of living, safety issues etc.
Please respond if you are aware about the following?

How is the quality of education for kids and what is the fee structure for schools having IB/ICSE pattern.
Cost of housing (atleast 2 BHK apartment), food and transportation?
quality of life in terms of eating out, recreation, sports, safety and traveling?
How is your overall experience in these many years staying in Makati City.

Thanks in advance!

Hi deevee23,

Note that this thread might no more be active as it from 2011.

I suggest you to create a new topic on the Manila forum, with an introduction and more details about how we might be able to help you.

Regards,

David.