Where do I start ?

Dear All,

Namaste and thanks for taking the time read my introduction.

I am a retired artist and Designer who has had a long career in children's TV in London. I been travelling extensively for the past five years and would like to settle in Nepal. Of the many places I've visited Nepal seems to be the place where my heart is and is somewhere I would be proud to call home.
After visit so many times in the last few years and making so many wonderful friends there, am now looking to retire. Im looking for information on the any retirement or permanent resident visas, how can I apply for one and how long does it last?
I have an income of more than $20,000 dollars per year and wish to build a house.....
Does anyone have any advise for me as to the ways to do this? Is it even possible and where do I start ?
I would be very grateful for any help,
Kind regards,
Mark :-)

First come to Nepal...Visit to immigration office,then follow up their suggestion .....If you want i will help you here in Nepal.

Hello Mark ,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Nepal forum in order to give it much more light.

Thanks

Priscilla

it would be better if we could have skype chat (y) or lets say video chat.

Also you can go through my fan page here its a link of face book. you can go through my all works related to training's and volunteering...
facebook.com/amritbanjade

Hi Mark,

I hope you followed Sanjaya's advise, for visiting the Immigration office and asking them what would be your best chance sound like the right thing to do.

Depending on several factors (amongst which, your age) you might be entitled to a pensioners visa, which would by far be the easiest way to be able to stay in Nepal. The income requirement you would (probably) meet with the income you say you have.

Building a house is difficult though. Foreigners are not allowed to own real-estate, vehicles or land.
The only way around this that I have found so far is to own a Nepali company, which in turn owns the real-estate, vehicle or land. That would also entitle you to have a business visa, but it requires that you actively work with the company. Just owning a 'paper company' will only work for a few years, after which several agencies will start pressuring you to actively do something with your company or have one thing or the other cancelled.
What exactly they could do if your visa does not depend on your company being active or not I don't know.
A business lawyer might be able to tell you more on that.

It would always be possible to register a vehicle, land or real-estate in someone elses name, but in that case you don't own it, and might lose it any time this person would chose to execute their rights on the ownership papers...

Wish you all the best,

Jorge.

With such a career i'd advise you to start a design school in KTM.  Im sure that an expat teaching design will be sought after by the upper nepali class.  And from there you can start making contacts and see how things develop.

And you'd be eligible for a business visa.