Has anyone aired a Great Dane to Costa Rica before??

yes that is true on all the airlines I have checked

So thankful my new basset who willc one back and forth only ways 45 pounds! So he will be under 100 with crate ;)

I leave Oct 22 and we are having a horrible time trying to figure out how to get our Dane to CR. I now have calls into United, a Pet transport company and USHIP. Desperate here! Don't want to leave my baby here, so if anyone else hears anything please let me know!

If you manage to get this problem solved, realize it will be expensive.

Have you called Delta Airlines?  Don't just read their website, call them to get the most up to date info.  It's the size of the crate that determines if your dog can travel, not their weight.  Our Lab travels in a 500 crate and the weight is well over 100 lbs.  Our dogs travel as baggage, not shipped as cargo.  Good luck to you!  I wouldn't want to leave our dogs behind so I understand your feelings.

It is unlikely that an adult great dane, will fit into a #500 kennel as they are too tall and the animal must have room to stand and turn around so usually require a 'GIANT/700 series'...and is only accepted as cargo.

I'm in Costa Rica right now and I saw someone with a Great Dane.  I asked how they got their Dane down here and they said Delta Cargo out of Los Angeles.  I talked with Delta Cargo, they also fly from Detroit and Altanta to San Jose, CR.  The Detriot and LA flts will take the giant crate -700 series- with a 4" vert extender.  The Altanta Flt will not allow for the extender. 

I hope this helps...

Hi, I am interested in the ground transport information.   Please message me.

Don't put any dog you love into a jungle environment.  The animal is out of its element and would walk up to the mos dangerous snake in the country.  Dogs belong in places like downtown Grecia etc., not where dangerous animals roam.

We have a large Lab/German Shepard mix. Ali is his name and he is a very gentle boy. We want to fly out of Houston in January to San Jose Costa Rica. We have a house near Tronadora  and are moving this time to stay, Joy!
Anyway, we have been going  through the motions of getting him on board and would like some advice, he weighs about 85lbs and stands at 34 inches tall floor to top of head. The flight is about 4 hours and I know he would be fine in the giant kennel but will do and extension if necessary. We would really like to take him with us on the flight but don't know if Delta will allow it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much
Gene
I am also interested in the ground transportation if anyone know how this works.

Just remember, dogs do not belong in jungle environments, they simply do not know the dangers.  A man had a beautiful black Doberman and it died from a snake bite.