Getting married in Albania

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Albania or who are about to get married in Albania to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Albania? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Albania)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

hi i am ghazi from saudia

Hi and welcome to Expat.com ghazi1!

How can we help you?

Regards
Armand

Hello all!

I am American and after a lot of running around and waiting and being told 1 thing and then another, my Albanian fiancee and I are finally set to be married in about 2 weeks. 
I am not completely sure about how the process of marriage in Albania differs from Albanian couples to mixed, foreign couples BUT as a foreigner I can tell you about the latter case.
As a foreigner you will need:
1) an official copy of your birth certificate (sent/brought from your home country) and then it must be translated/notarized from one of many notari IN Albania or from the Albanian embassy in your country. 
2) An affidavit of eligibility to marry (This document proves that you are not/have not been married or are legally divorced and free to marry) This document should be obtained by either your embassy or from your home country (If you are an American, the U.S. embassy in Tirana will do this for you and it is very easy to obtain- cost $50) IMPORTANT: **This document is not valid without an apostille.**  If you obtain this document once you are already in Albania or perhaps even if you obtain this document from your home country, you then need to take it to TNT or another post office nearby and ask for it to be sent and verified by the Office of the Foreign Ministry of Albania. It is very likely that the regular posta shqip doesn't understand why you would do that so it is best to either NOT explain why you need it to them OR go to TNT (in Tirana it is directly across the river from the foreign ministry).  At first we went to the national post office and they told us that this was not what we needed to do - but really they just don't know what the gov. requires!  TNT understands and knows exactly how to process this and it should be ready to be picked up again from TNT the following day.  My fiancee did this part so I can't remember how much it costs, sorry! 
2.5) In the case that you have been married before then you must get a certified copy of your divorce decree or certificate with an “apostille” attached to it.
3) A copy of your passport (at the Bashkia comune we went to they only needed the biographical information pages but I saw the stack of other foreigners' info and it looked like some people made copies of more than just the bio page. 
4) Your Albanian spouse must be registered at the comune office that you register at!  In that case, they should have with them an ID on them and they can make a photocopy of it there.  In our case, the comune didn't require my fiancee to bring all of the same documents that they required of me but this is because they have all of his info on file. 
5) After you have successfully completed and brought all of the former documents, you are free to be married after 11 days of the comune posting your union-to-be.  You should return to the comune WITH 2 witnesses that are not family in order to be married officially. 
6) After you have been married, you will need to obtain the marriage certificate which takes the comune (the same one) about a day or two to produce.  Don't forget this part as it will be paramount to proving your marriage if you go outside the country, etc.

7) You can have a ceremony in a church but under International Albanian law, the only service which is recognized as valid is the civil ceremony at the Comune.  Marriages in Albania should be recognized by all countries in the world so long as you follow the Albanian requirements.
I strongly urge you to consult your own embassy's instructions on how to get married in Albania and hope this helps but please check up on the information I have provided as everyone has a different situation! 

Here is the link IF you are American:

http://tirana.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

Hi All,

Can anyone give me any information on what i would need to do to marry in albania ( i am english and my partner is albanian) any information you can give me would be brilliant and i would be so grateful.... i look forward to hearing from you all!

thanks
Kayleigh

Hi Kayleigh,
my brother is in the same situation as you guys, he is marrying an English girl, in the next 10 days we'll have gone through the procedures and will let you know, what you need to do.

Hi alb_gunner,

Do you have any information on the procedures yet?

look forward to hearing from you!

:)

Hi kelz.89,
the guys had to postpone the marriage for 2 weeks for some personal reasons and now we're back on track and I'll let you know  for sure when we go through with it so you know exactly how it works and what you need to do.

Have a nice day

Hi
I was just wondering if anyone knew how much it cost to get married in Albania. I don't want a big party or anything like that literally to just put our names on the paper. I had all the documents sorted before as a family member said he would sort it out due to causing problems in the past but when I went to Albania (krume) he didn't so I'd like to sort it out myself I have 2 children with him and we have been together 5 years.
Thank you

Hi

To marriage in the Albania doesn't cost it s small amount . only the certificate documents that needs to be translating and noterised in albanian language it cost but still is  a small payment

Hello

You should read my reply on Marry in Albania. Who have more specific questions just ask me

i am due to get married in albania next year...i am english and my boyfriend is albanian.  i have been told that all i need it a certificate of marriage from the UK and also i need this to have an appositle stamp...is this all i need or is there anything else?

Hi

If you want the right response send me a message to my inbox regarding your boyfriend where he is registered in what civil unit or commune in Albania in order to get a proper answer

Hi I am Melody from Australia and I did all the research to be married in Albania to my husband who is Albanian.

The quote below is the best answer in this thread. As for me it was almost  the same process.
I needed to arrive in Albania with my birth certificate, and the letter from births deaths and marriages saying I was free to be married, that had an apposite stamp.
Once in Albania we visited a noter and had the documents translated.
Visiting my husbands home town komuna, where my passport was photocopied, and all documents listed above were shown.. While we spoke to the official register about our intention and desire to be married.
And then had to wait the customary 10 days before returning for the service.
After which we enjoyed our party reception. 
We returned to the kumuna after some
days and paid a donation service fee and also for the cost of the wedding certificate.
(Which is a bi-lingual Shqip/English document)

It was my understanding that when 2 native Albanians are married the party/reception can go for 3 days. 3 different events. And the offical registration process in the komuna, is very low key.

My husband and I agreed to wear 'traditional bride and groom' (white dress and suit) to the komuna. Which was taking everyone by surprise...

annapecorina13 wrote:

Hello all!

I am American and after a lot of running around and waiting and being told 1 thing and then another, my Albanian fiancee and I are finally set to be married in about 2 weeks. 
I am not completely sure about how the process of marriage in Albania differs from Albanian couples to mixed, foreign couples BUT as a foreigner I can tell you about the latter case.
1) an official copy of your birth certificate (sent/brought from your home country) and then it must be translated/notarized from one of many notari IN Albania or from the Albanian embassy in your country. 
2) An affidavit of eligibility to marry (This document proves that you are not/have not been married or are legally divorced and free to marry) This document should be obtained by either your embassy or from your home country (If you are an American, the U.S. embassy in Tirana will do this for you and it is very easy to obtain- cost $50) IMPORTANT: **This document is not valid without an apostille.**  If you obtain this document once you are already in Albania or perhaps even if you obtain this document from your home country, you then need to take it to TNT or another post office nearby and ask for it to be sent and verified by the Office of the Foreign Ministry of Albania. It is very likely that the regular posta shqip doesn't understand why you would do that so it is best to either NOT explain why you need it to them OR go to TNT (in Tirana it is directly across the river from the foreign ministry).  At first we went to the national post office and they told us that this was not what we needed to do - but really they just don't know what the gov. requires!  TNT understands and knows exactly how to process this and it should be ready to be picked up again from TNT the following day.  My fiancee did this part so I can't remember how much it costs, sorry! 
2.5) In the case that you have been married before then you must get a certified copy of your divorce decree or certificate with an “apostille” attached to it.
3) A copy of your passport (at the Bashkia comune we went to they only needed the biographical information pages but I saw the stack of other foreigners' info and it looked like some people made copies of more than just the bio page. 
4) Your Albanian spouse must be registered at the comune office that you register at!  In that case, they should have with them an ID on them and they can make a photocopy of it there.  In our case, the comune didn't require my fiancee to bring all of the same documents that they required of me but this is because they have all of his info on file. 
5) After you have successfully completed and brought all of the former documents, you are free to be married after 11 days of the comune posting your union-to-be.  You should return to the comune WITH 2 witnesses that are not family in order to be married officially. 
6) After you have been married, you will need to obtain the marriage certificate which takes the comune (the same one) about a day or two to produce.  Don't forget this part as it will be paramount to proving your marriage if you go outside the country, etc.

7) You can have a ceremony in a church but under International Albanian law, the only service which is recognized as valid is the civil ceremony at the Comune.  Marriages in Albania should be recognized by all countries in the world so long as you follow the Albanian requirements.
I strongly urge you to consult your own embassy's instructions on how to get married in Albania and hope this helps but please check up on the information I have provided as everyone has a different situation! 

tirana.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

Hi Melodyjain

I have been told that i need to get the same papers as you but i have also been told from the uk that on one of the certificates we need the date and venue of where we are getting married but when we went to register for our marriage we couldnt because they wanted the papers so how am i suposed to give the uk a date and venue...did you have the same problem?

natasha

Hi Natasha,
I'm not sure why the uk would need to know the date and place of where you are getting married just to issue you a document that states that you are free to marry (not been married before, of if you have been married before also a divorce certificate)
I didn't need to provide place and date to obtain the "free to marry" document from australia...

Do you know where you will be getting married?
Perhaps the uk just need to know the country and month...
I can not help much because I am Australian and don't know about UK.

Thank you

Hi i am english and my partner is albanian. We are about to get married and after a lot of hassle we have eventually got all of our papers together. You will need the following.

A certificate of no impediment from your local births, deaths and marriages department in the UK. (You will need a copy of your partners birth certificate as they will want his details for this.) This will be kept for 16 days and then after you can collect it. Then you will need to send it to somwhere in milton keynes for an apostile. This usually takes 2-3 days.

Your passport and a copy of your passport.

A full birth certificate (again with apostile.)

These will all need to be translated into albanian by a noter in albania. Which can cost somewhere between £30-£50. The apostile is £30 per document.

Your partner will need his full birth certificate and ID card.

Take all these documents to the local komuna (the equivilant of a civic centre in the UK) where you can registar for your marriage and you will have to wait 13 days.

Hope this helps.

Hello all.
My albanian partner is currently in prison in the UK and is awaiting removal. He is a clandestine entrant! Once back in albania we plan to marry ASAP.
And then apply for spouse visa for him to come to UK and live with me.
Which documents will we need in order to marry in albania (Durres). I have a British passport and have never been married before. How simple is the process? Thanks for advice.

Hi you will need all the documents  in this tread that are mentioned for the UK.

Get both your passports and birth certificates, and copies of them.
Then get the document/letter from UK stating you have never been married (I understand to get this document in the UK for yourself you will need passports and birth certificates and also place and date of proposed intended marriage)
Then get that letter/document aspostal stamped.
That's the needed documents for getting married in Albania.
It sounds simple, and is a simple process once in Albania but it takes time to get all the needed documents together so get started and good luck.

Thanks melody. I'm assuming the declaration that I haven't been married before will come from the marriage registrar office in UK? Is that right?

Yes.. I'm Australian so I don't know much about the UK system but from what I have read in this thread  the UK office will want some details about the proposed marriage etc..

Thanks melody. I since found out I need to go to local registrars and get declaration to say I'm free to marry

Hello my name is Anthony William miller I live in the uk and I have an albanian fiancé we have been together for 3 years now  and we both wish to get married this December in albanian Tirana I would be ever so greatful if I could get help with this. On What papers I would need for me and my fiancé to get married ?. Thank you very much for taking your time to read this thank you. Anthony William Miller

Hello,

Is she in Albania or here in UK?

If she is in Albania you will need to go to your local registry office in the UK and order a certificate of no impediment, which states you are free to marry her.
There are documents she needs in Albania aswell so get her to enquire at the office in Tirana.

Once you receive the certificate of no impediment you need to send it off for an apostile stamp.

You also need proof of ID, not sure if this needs to be apostile stamped aswell but it wont hurt to get this done.

Best thing is to call Albania embassy.

I got married last year in Albania but cant remember all that I needed. It was a stressful time.

Good luck.

annapecorina13 wrote:
Hello all!
Hi again, I just saw this and this pretty much sums it up, even though its for an American. British similar but check for sure:

tirana.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

Hello there thank you for replying to my message.  no she isn't living in the uk she has been living in Greece. While I'm living here in the uk I have been trying for ages to think of a solution to get her here in the uk. We have been together for 3 years this year. If you don't mind Could you please send me some details of the things I will need to show the registry office in Albania when me and my fiancé get married ?. And can I ask ?. Will my fiancé then be allowed to come into the uk ?. After we have been married in Albania ?. Do I need to apply for any visas or ?. Not thank you Anthony Miller

After marriage you apply for a spouse visa. As long as you earn the required amount which is £18,600 pa she should get no problem. Good Luck.
If she's not illegal in Greece you would be better to marry there I think.

Hi,me and my boyfriend is planning to get married in december or april but he got no work as of this time.is it still posibble to get married in albania?

My advice...DONT DO IT, unless he already has a visa or right to stay in UK!

Hello! I am a filipino working in UK, not a UK citizen yet, me and my albanian boyfriend is planning to get married in his country, may i know what requirements i should prepare? Thanks

Hey how r u? Did u get married in albania? Which commune did u get married in? What does commune means by the way?

I married in commune in Durres. Commune is like a registry office, where the marriage is legal and recognised.

Hi Thanks for your reply!

I emailed embassy of tirana and they told me that a birth certificate with international format is needed. Do u know what does that mean?
What is international format for birth certificate?

Hi. My fiancé and I are planning to get married in albania but we are having difficulties with our documents (I'm albania and he is English) . Anyone can help with information on what we need cuz we been doing all sort off things but there is always smth missing .

Hello! Im planning to get married in tirana this october, i am at the moment still processing the documents but i am also confuse of which to prepare...

So far, all I have are my birth certificate, certificate of no marriage and my passport.

I emailed the embassy and they said I should prefer a certificate of address as well, so I dont know if they will accept proof of address like my bank statements...

Any luck on you?

Would you like to send me a private message, feel free to email me...

Better to check on home office site but from memory you need his birth certificate, your birth cert and passport. The CNI. Get him to enquire with the commune there, they will tell him everything as some docs need to be stamped over there. Also, the CNI needs an apostile stamp from here also. As does your birth cert I think.
Some docs have to be within a certain time period, maybe 3 months so make sure you have everything you need.
Good luck.
is it a big wedding or just formality?

Just a formality... thanks!  Will be updating soon after

Do i need a residence certificate as one of the requirements to marry in albania? Need answer asap

Unfortunately, we cant have our papers process. We have my papers translated already to albanian languange, we went to tnt for the apostille stamp, waited two days, but then they told us after wr cant have the apostille stamp from mfa, we need to send documents to embassy of albania in beijing... wtf! Any insights on this guys? Has anyone here know anyone in the mfa or know how to process papers in china?