Everyday life in Thailand

Hi,
Married with two young adult children and looking to retire early with my wife (who is already retired). Looking to rent a small two bed beach apartment/beach house/villa for a year or two near the beach or cliff top with sea views somewhere quiet and scenic, but close enough to some life. Will be leaving kids in Australia. Budget around 750000TBHT PA to cover all costs (excluding flights)..  Is this achievable and can anyone suggest some areas that may be suitable please? Have been to Cape Panawa south of Phuket..

Phuket is seriously expensive! I'm here as I got a job here. But if I was choosing somewhere to retire it definitely wouldn't be here. There are so many nicer places in Thailand.
As for helping you with a budget I'm afraid I can't, I'm still trying to work my own out. Transport is the biggest cost and living on Phuket you need it. Good luck :)

@pierreinsa

Try this website for cost of living www.numbeo.com
Remember to factor in medical insurance cover.   

You need check up on visa costs. For retirement there is a need to have certain amount of  BHT in the bank to get the visa.

Hi pierreinsa,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Thailand forum.

pierreinsa wrote:

Hi,
Married with two young adult children and looking to retire early with my wife (who is already retired). Looking to rent a small two bed beach apartment/beach house/villa for a year or two near the beach or cliff top with sea views somewhere quiet and scenic, but close enough to some life. Will be leaving kids in Australia. Budget around 750000TBHT PA to cover all costs (excluding flights)..  Is this achievable and can anyone suggest some areas that may be suitable please? Have been to Cape Panawa south of Phuket..

I have a couple of questions before attempting to help.

1. How old are you and your wife?
2. Related to the above, what visa/extension do you intend to use to enter and remain in Thailand?
3. How many times have you been to Thailand?

I ask the above because if you are going down the retirement extension/dependent route you are going to need some funds in a Thai bank/monthly income. Plus living here full time is not like a holiday.

OK living in Phuket then, 750,000 less flights? Don't know the air fare costs but lets say 50,000 for the two of you.
So you have 700,000 a year or 58,000 a month give or take a few Baht.

You could certainly live in Phuket on that, but the rent is going to be a big hit if you want a top spot like you describe. Add on transport costs, utilities, internet,phones and household stuff and I think that might well take care of 20,000-25,000Baht a month.
The rest is of course up to you, but entertainment can add to the bills!

I'll stop there and wait till you come back regarding the visa, since without it the rest is of no relevance.

Hi, Thanks for the reply to my post.

I am looking for a quiet locale in Thailand, away from the main tourist areas. My wife and I want to retire to a quiet and peaceful, yet scenic area away from the mad rush and dash. A small village with a few expats a couple of bars, good beach, and not really much else.  We are are in late 50s vintage and have been to Cape Panawa and Phuket ..
So, without visiting Thailand and touring the whole place for months, I would appreciate some potential area names so I may start my research. Google Earth is a good tool to gauge this as well.
Our needs are quite modest but would also need to be sure it is safe also.
Re the visa, we would be able to achieve the Long Stay Visa requirements quite easily.

Hi, Pierreinsa
How you describe it - try Hua Hin, or surroundings, like Cha-am, Pak Nam Pran, Pranburi or even  Prachuab. But anywhere in Thailand you will need transport, at least motorbike.

Thanks for the reply and info... Also, Transport will not be an issue... Ok to buy a small bomb to drive around in..

A good area to stay not too expensive is Ban Nong Yao, 7 kms north and west of Cha Am.
A small village with about 10 resident Farang families the guy next door is from Aussie.
You may be able to rent for around ฿8-10,000 pm also the internet is OK.

Hi

I have lived in Thailand for about 6 years now but am not on the ocean. Reasonably quiet city in Isaan but I do have a friend who owns an apartment in Hua Hin that overlooks the ocean.  It is a tourist city but not the way Phuket and Pattaya are and his apartment is reasonable by North American standards. Hua Hin is nice .. close enough to Bangkok for its attractions but far enough away too.
If interested let me know and I will pass on his contact information. You and him can work it out.
wasagabob at hotmail dot com

Hua Hin was my first thought. From there, let it unfold or you will hear a never ending story, what you need, what you don't etc. All from well meaning people, none of us, you.
We live in N.E. and have visited Hua Hin and it was good.
I also liked the manner in which you expressed yourself. You'll have no problem.

Check out Bang Saray just south of Pattaya, which is only a 20 min drive away and has most shops and services you might need.

hi all, hua hin or cha am may be ok-yes, bang saray would be nice,or a bit more central would be cosy beach,spectacular views,plenty to do and only 7mins from pattaya for shopping or a big night out....personally,i think your budget for two people with rental accommadation-is too little...i cant see the point of moving to a nice place-then having to live like paupers??  of course there are probable more isolated areas where you could live more cheaply-but life may be boring there....

Hello, I would be interested in your friends Apt Rental, we are looking to rent 4-6 months out of the year, but if the rent is reasonable we will rent for the whole year. 65 year old American with Thai/American wife. We have been in Nonthaburi for 4 years. Looking for a quieter place to live. Thanks, Patrick

Like others have mentioned.. Phuket can be crazy expensive. Secondhand cars are expensive and motorbike riding on that island is not my cuppa tea.. It's crazy! It is not uncommon to spend 1.000 baht on ONE taxi ride. That adds up fast. There are other parts of Thailand that also have controlled taxi fares.. Think.. Organised crime. Your budget with kids.. Not easy in my opinion.