Getting a Driver's License in Japan from scratch

I've been here in Japan for not more than three years. For that, I decided to get a driver's license. After reading some blogs, articles, and forums about getting a Japanese Driver's License, I finally decided which way to choose in obtaining one.

I preferred enrolling myself into a driving school. This would mean I have to attend many hours of driving lecture, also I have to spend more hours driving on the road, and of course I have to pay big amount of money. Now, since my japanese reading skills is very bad, I decided to take the written tests all in English.

The first thing I did before I went to a driving school was I study all the road rules and policies. Second, I took the written test of the First Stage(ichi dankai) which was 50 questions in Akashi(since I am from Hyogo Prefecture).  I was lucky on the second try. After passing the exam, I registered in a driving school near at my place just five minutes away from the station. This is very convenient for me since I am working full time.

A month after I was enrolled, I passed the road test which was just inside the driving school. Now that I have completed the first stage both practical and written tests, I can now hold a karimen( student learner's permit). This license will give me the right to drive the outside  road with a person who has a drivers license for more than three year(that's part of the rule).

For now, I am still on the second stage(nidankai). I have been attending lectures and practical driving lessons after work.
And I am hopeful to graduate and get my japanese driver's license before I turned three years of my stay here.

Oh! take note, student learner's permit would only lasts for six months. So, I have to finish all the exams before the expiration date of my karimen.

Will update on my progress  :) and FAILURE  :( on this forum.

:thanks:

Hi and welcome to the forum AnneRTURE!

Thanks for sharing ;)

Armand
Expat.com Team

Thank you for this!
I am interested in getting one too, it's great to hear other people's experience!
Keep up posted!

Good luck!

So I'm back after few weeks of attending lectures on the rules of driving here in Japan. One of the school's policy is a student must take a written exam at the school all in japanese. You should get 80 correct questions out of 100. Unfortunately, i got 78  :(  so the principal talked to me about my wrong answers and explained a lot of things like questions and situations that may come out during the final exam at the test center.

I am glad that everything went well.  I will do better at the test center.

Oh! I will have my second phase(nidankai) road test this 12th of february. Good luck to me

:thanks:

Hello Sahi, i hope you'll get one soon. You need to pack up more japanese with you which I think is not difficult if you are into it.

Good luck too! :top:

Armand wrote:

Hi and welcome to the forum AnneRTURE!

Thanks for sharing ;)

Armand
Expat.com Team

Thank you Armand! Great day ahead! :)

I took the second stage road test two days ago and luckily I PASSED!!!! yeehaw!!

The road test was 20 minutes but I had to stay at the driving school from 09:00~13:30. The next and the last exam will be the 90 questions plus 5 illustrations(hyakumon). I will have to take it in Akashi Testing Center since I am from Hyogo Prefecture.

Anyway, HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!!

I totally forgot  this forum. So,here we go I took the last and the final exam! They call it honmei mondai, there are 95 questions, 90 true or false questions and the other 5 are illustrated questions. Just like what everyone's comment on the english questions most of it were CRAP. Almost 20% of the questions cant be considered a sentence  . Almost 30% were fairly tricky and the rest were fine or let's say somehow it made sense.

I would say the book that I am using the whole time helped me a lot to get used to the english question. Honestly, the last 5 illustrated questions on the test were on the books that I have been using ;)  .

Oh! My score was 90. I am super happy because I didnt really expect I would pass.  :D

So, I got my driver`s license on February 12, 2014. I know it took me forever to write about this and to end this topic. We`ll I am busy now.........DRIVING :thanks:

Feel free to asks questions about getting a driver`s license here in Japan.

Stay happy everyone ;)

Thanks for sharing.