Young American family looking to move to Marrakech

Hi all, and as'salamailakum. I'm a white American, wife, and mother of 2 young children. My husband (Syrian) and I are Muslim converts and have always planned to raise our children in the Middle East. After significant research, our interest has grown in Morocco, and particularly Marrakech. My husband would be working remotely and I will stay at home with my kids, but I'd also be interested in using my TEFL certificate to teach English part time.

We are looking to possibly visit next month but we'll only do so if we can find trustworthy individuals willing to show us around. My husband's first language is Arabic, but not the Moroccan dialect, so that might be an issue.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

You are aware, I hope, that Morocco is not in the Middle East, but in North Africa?

Moroccans often understand Syrian Arabic because of the numbers of Turkish soaps that used to be be dubbed by Syrian actors and, indeed, the showing of home-produced Syrian programmes bought by Moroccan TV. Of course, that has nearly finished now after the terrible attack on Syria by evil forces directed and financed from the outside. However, your husband will find it almost impossible to understand Moroccan Darija. I had to adapt my (very imperfect) Syrian Arabic enormously when I came to Morocco to live and have now forgotten nearly all of it, even the accent has gone.

Please ignore personal messages or posts from locals wanting to show you around, especially if they have no (or a very short) history of posting in this forum. I'm afraid the site is infested with cheats and liars wanting to make money out of unwary expats or visitors. I am really serious about this. My own experience of meeting locals through this site has been terrible (as has that of many others I am in communication with) and I simply refuse to do it any more. On the other hand meeting with genuine expats has been a fruitful experience.

One thing I can suggest is that you choose a nice riad in the Medina to stay in, at least for the first few days, preferably foreign-owned, and ask the owner to put you onto a reliable guide. You will have to pay, but this might be better that taking a step in the dark.

Personally though, I'd buy a good guidebook and do research on sites such as TripAdvisor too and dispense with the services of any guide. That way you save money and you don't get dragged to places you don't want to go - even "reliable" guides chance their arms and try to get commission on any purchases you make or places you eat at while you are with him.

Please be aware that there is a "National Preference" law in operation in Morocco which gives priority to Moroccans rather than foreigners. This means that if you seek work, the employer would have to prove to the ANAPEC (employment authority) that no Moroccan is capable of doing the job you have applied for before they can legally hire you. You would have a far better chance of employment in Casablanca, in my opinion, than in Marrakech.

Do get back to me if you have any further questions.

One last thing! Didn't your Syrian husband tell you that it is normal in Syria to greet people with the word "Marhaba" rather than a religious salutation in case the person you are addressing is not a Muslim?

Hence why I began with 'hi.' And yes I'm aware of where Morocco is located ... we had planned to live in the Middle East. With the war in Syria, that's obviously not an option, which is why we're looking elsewhere. And I guess it's a good thing we won't necessarily have to work there.

The family of our good friends live in Marrakech but they work full-time and therefore can be of little help while we're visiting. I certainly hadn't planned on blindly meeting anyone offering help on here, but if there's that prevalent of an issue, I guess I'm better off foregoing any offer of help here & seeking out alternative routes. I appreciate you bringing this issue up.

Hello again.

You might get some offers of help from genuine expats yet. I state genuine, because of the three people I have met off this site individually, 2 had profiles alleging that they were expats from France. When I met them, it was as plain as a pikestaff that they had never even been out of Morocco, so dire were their French language skills. They had obviously thought that as I am English that I wouldn't notice! Try to coincide your visit with an "expat dinner". You would meet some very genuine people there as the people who arrange these often specify no locals to be present. Alternatively, announce the time and date of your arrival and invite expats to meet you at a mid-range to high-end restaurant a couple of days after you've settled in. Fraudsters will generally not attend such events firstly because it's too expensive an investment to risk and secondly because their MO is to prey on foreigners one-to-one - it's far harder to swindle someone in a group!

This is a real problem. The amount of swindling of foreigners that goes on is phenomenal, as you can see from this thread. The OP doesn't even want to hear a word from locals, just from expats:--

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=425172

Nonetheless, a couple of locals couldn't help themselves and have jumped in with totally irrelevant "advice".

I also work exclusively online, so your husband won't have problems in that department.

Some of the language schools have good relations with the ANAPEC and get round the rules by saying that they need a native speaker to train their own local staff. You'd end up teaching normal pupils, of course, but do bear that in mind.

Lastly, if you do come to live here, remember the old saying, "Never a lender nor a borrower be". If you lend money to someone for whatever (usually invented) disaster or reason, you are highly unlikely to get it back. Just say no, in the words of Nancy Reagan.

Wa'AliakumSalam WarahmatuAllah

It wasn't a long time ago that I read on this forum, an American family, similar to your own, white mother married to an Arab with young kids, packed up, went to Morocco, but ended up returning back to the USA. It would be a good idea to find Americans who did the move, and hear about their experience.

Wa alaykum salaam sister.  I think your idea sounds good. If you're husband is working remotely I'm assuming this means his business is in america? If so marakesh should be a good place to bring up your children. If you are having to earn money in Morocco then I just don't think it's worth the effort,  better going to Europe or America because prospects are not good in morroco.  I read some of the negative comments on here by others which I wouldn't pay to much attention too. No where in this world is without problem's. There are bad and good people every where as I'm sure you know.  The Prophet told us to establish the deen we should spread salam. The people are genuinely friendly in Marrakech.  There might be a few tricksters about and so many times I have been told to watch out for pick pockets but it's nothing comparable to places in London or America where muggjngs/shootings/stabbings are far more likely  occur.  Marrakech is not Makkah or Madinah but there is an Islamic code their in a lot of the people.  The food is good,  nice weather and it doesn't cost much to live there.  If you want to give your money away I'm sure it won't be difficult but it's not likely you will be swindled if you use the same acquired common sense needed to get by in America.  To get residency I think you need about £3000 in the bank (moderated: keep that kind of comment for you). I would look to rent somewhere short term first,  maybe even start off in a hotel for a month so you can find something when you actually there.  My friend went to fez with his family.  He had no contacts and found somewhere to rent and stayed for about 9 months.  I'm going to marrakech next Monday for a week and again in June. If there is anything you want me to try and find out just ask.  My wife's from Marrakech

You don't get shot or stabbed in London for no reason, very rarely do. It's a safe city. That's unless you involve yourself with the wrong crowd. I've lived in London for quite a long time, and haven't lost anything. Lost more in Morocco than all the years here in London.

I have lived in London too and also didn't get shot or stabbed.  That's two people, must be very safe. What did you lose in Morocco? The comments seem to be off subject

It is safe. At least I don't go around holding tight on my belongings, keeping an eye on my stuff at all times, and so on. Talking about off subject, I'm not the one talking about establishing deen and such gibberish.

Hi there,

I'm an American with a house (riad) in the Marrakech medina.  I would be happy to talk to you about anything regarding expat life in Marrakech, and also about the possibility of renting from me if you do decide to come here.  Drop me a line privately, if you would like to talk more.  I'll be in Marrakech next month, if you would like to meet in person.

Hi everyone,

just to let you know, a couple of posts have been edited or removed from this thread (read our terms and conditions)

Hello,

I am an American and have been in Morocco for 4 months. I spent 2 moths in Marrakech and would say that it is a fun city to live in. Lots of energy and entertainment, but there are people looking to take advantage of you. There are two expat oriented restaurants I know of in Marrakech. Cafe clock and Cafe du livre. In both places I found people very nice, welcoming and helpful. I ended up moving to Rabat because I was informed of many more English teaching opportunities in Rabat.
If you have options on where you want to relocate it would not hurt to consider more cities than just Marrakech. Rabat is a beautiful city and i have heard good things about Meknes.
I love marrakech and miss it in a lot of ways because I enjoyed the 'in your face' energy many people have, but it is much easier living in Rabat and in my mind that would make it easier to raise a family here. There is not as much excitement in Rabat and it has a more trendy/ business feel. It's not hard to be comfortable here. People in shops are generally more honest with their prices, I have found fewer people trying to take advantage of me as a foreigner and there a several English teaching schools. I am currently working at one. I had no luck finding English teaching work in Marrakech.
As for teaching, the school semester will generally start at the beginning of January ( around the 5th) and go till early March, 10 weeks. Then a new set of classes start in March. Now is the time to reach out to schools if you want to start work in January.

Good luck.

I have to say that I agree with the above...I know nothing about Rabat, but the "energy" in Marrakech can be a little overwhelming sometimes!  I like a lot of things about the city, but there is stress involved in living here, at least for a single American woman.  I'm not sure I would recommend it as a place to raise a family, although maybe there are supportive networks in place for that particular situation, which I'm not aware of, as I am coming from a very different life stage/set of circumstances.

Hello!

My name is Farrah and I'm a single mother of a 3 year old boy, Gatsby. ( his father is Algerian but abandoned my son and I once in the USA) I have lived in Marrakech thus past year and am back in Washington, D.C. For a few months before I plAn to return to Marrakech to live, again. I loved it. I know a lot of people who would be happy to help you who live in the medina and know the city well. However, most Moroccans are poor and probably would appreciate any tips you can offer to assisting you. I can give you named and numbers if you wish? Feel free to add my son and I on facebook at Rumi Poe ( or email address: [email protected]) my permanent email is: [email protected]

We could consider going in on a huge riad with multiple levels sharing a huge villa seeing we both have small children?

I have videos of our experiences in Marrakech on youtube channels:

Farrahnayka.  And

Checkmyemailstoday

Hope I can help!

Farrah and Gatsby :)

Farrahgatsby wrote:

Hello!

his father is Algerian but abandoned my son and I once in the USA

Farrah and Gatsby :)

I'm terribly sorry that this happened. I do appreciate that you have revealed this so that it might give pause for thought to the many foolish women (and men) who rush headlong into marriage with people from the developing world. Some of these marriages work, but very, very few. The motivation is the visa, that's the be-all and end-all. As soon as the visa is acquired and the poorer partner get to the West, it's bye-bye dupe.

welcome to morocco

Hi and Salams Lindsey,
Have you ever visited Morocco before? Don't you think it would be a good idea to come for a short time and visit, and check out what job options you might have, before you split up your family and make this huge leap?  What exactly are you looking for in Morocco? Do you think the school system here is better for your children than US schools?
These would be questions I'd ask myself before moving to a foreign country, especially without my children's father with me.
In any case, best of luck in whatever you decide.

Eh?

She said that they would be coming for a visit before moving. She also won't be splitting up the family, her husband is coming with her for both the visit and to live, if they so decide.

Where on earth did you get all these assumptions from?

That her husband will be "working remotely". It sounds to me like they're planning on leaving the dad behind to work, and the mom and kids moving to Morocco.

Just re-read and yes, they are planning to visit beforehand. My bad.

MFitzgerald wrote:

That her husband will be "working remotely". It sounds to me like they're planning on leaving the dad behind to work, and the mom and kids moving to Morocco.

They are all moving to Morocco. He would be working remotely in Morocco, to continue with his work/business that's based in the US.

ooooohhhhh ok.
My reading comprehension is clearly lacking today!

MFitzgerald wrote:

ooooohhhhh ok.
My reading comprehension is clearly lacking today!

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

Joking aside, I agree with your questions. I hope she has done her homework. As I've came across people who made the move, then returned back. Life abroad is quite different, needless to say. Harder than expected. Many later on realize they are simply not cut out for being an expat in a third world country, when they leave behind the comforts they've taken for granted.

I've spent several summers in Damascus, Syria, so I'm fairly familiar with life in a third world country (yes yes I know, this isn't the middle east, Lindsey). I've got the details situated regarding the job & school. We're visiting next month to decide if it's worth the huge leap.

I was of the opinion it's a more appropriate destination for older people, those planning their retirement, entrepreneurs etc Rather than a family with young kids, who are more likely to benefit from a higher standard of living in the first world. I just view it as a backward step. But who am I to judge.

With you TEFL you should be able to find a good school in Marrakech.

Nothing to worry about,Before you ll will spend two month, your family will get use to everything that need to survived with in the land of morocco,There is no way one can greet owner of a house without saying hi to the door of the house first,Words are enough for the wise

Hello Lindsey F,
I am a friend of Jen B. I am also an American who has been an expat in Marrakech for several years. I am married to  Moroccan National and met serveral great local people.  I choose not to live in the Medina area as she does only because I am not really into the tourist trendy life I find there.  The Medina is where my husband's family and many of our friend are from, so we visit it often.  I suggest your family avoid living in the expensive Guilize, Palmery, or Hivernage areas.  I like living in the newer more ordinary neighborhoods with predominantly local people  to the western side of the city Those neighborhoods are not about crazy expensive real estate prices targeting the wealthy expats or tourists .
Marrakech is a tourist town. If you go around in the heavy tourist spots wearing floppy hats & shorts and carrying a map or gps on a phone looking like lost white European/Americans,  then you will be targeted by people wanting to offer services to you as tourist guides. I suggest you know and understand this when you go to these areas. I am not a traditional Muslim woman but, I sometimes choose to dress more conservatively and wear a scarf over my blond hair when I want to avoid hassles from Moroccan tourist trappers. If you are a modest Muslim lady, then people here will respect that and act accordingly. Of course it is always wise to keep a good hand on your purse/wallet, phones, cameras, and kids when in any tourist attraction in any part of the world. It is no different in Marrakech. I think it is a nice safe place to live/visit. I love it here.
No matter what dialectic of arabic your husband speaks, there will be people here who will understand him and he will do fine. I am sure he will even find other Syrians here In Marrakech as I have noticed more Syrian refugees escaping from the war showing up in the city. 
The job market is limited, but as you can teach, you eventually will find something. I know a few people who tutor Engish to locals privately and keep pretty busy. It is all about how dedicated you are towanting employment.
If you want to meet or get more specific advise you are welcome to private message me.
May God bless you and your family.

Hello!

I'm interested to hear more about the house rental if available? In the medina? Very familiar with area. In Washington, D.C. Through June. Any details appreciated! Thanks!

Hello

@Farrahgatsby : Please let's avoid being off topic on this thread, if you are looking for a rental you may drop an advert in our Housing in Marrakech section.

If you wish to interact with other members to find a rental, please create a new thread

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi Lindsey,

I'm an American expat who's just moved to Marrakech this September. I lived in the north of Morocco last year.

Have you made the move already? I'm curious to see how things have worked out for you.

All the best,
Israel