Extremely High Taxes in Kenya

Worked in Kenya for 7 months. I will never do it again. The society is hostile and the taxation system is frightening. Kenya is one of the highest taxation countries in the world. In addition accommodation rentals is also unbelievably high with low standard of accommodation.

Hostile society?  Come on!  I agree the taxation and housing are absurd but the hostility is not part of the Kenyan society.  Well, you are entitled to your opinion but it would be interesting to hear your take on what you thought was hostile.

I agree, Its a strange comment, as I have never heard the word 'hostile' used to describe Kenyan society.  Maybe its a personal thing.

Majdizayyat; maybe you were looking in the wrong places for accommodation.  I have always found that the standard of accommodation to be well above what could be obtained in the UK, particularly in terms of size.

Hey guys,

I stayed in an apartment near T-Junction Mall. The compound was protected by electrified wires all round. The gates were 24/7 guarded, and the united nations publications warned all expats not to venture around after 5 pm. The only time I ventured on my own downtown daytime and on Sunday, the antenna of my car was stolen while I was driving in town. I spent 7 months and formed no Kenyan friends. After all of that you are telling me the society is not hostile...!!

I am sorry that your experience has been so negative.  Firstly, I don't see how the fact that you didn't make any kenyan friends indicates that the society as a whole is hostile??

Your accommodation security arrangements, while not uncommon were about keeping criminals out.  I don't understand how this lowers the standard of the accommodation though.  There are plenty of alternative apartments and properties which do not have such comprehensive arrangements.  Indeed, in the years that we lived in Nairobi, we didn't have security like this, although we lived in gated compounds, which is common throughout Kenya and other African countries, but still doesn't mean that society as a whole is hostile.

It seems as if your employer exaggerated the risks of being out and about, especially in the evenings - you certainly need to be careful, but to be advised to stay in after 5:00pm is a bit extreme.  Generally the advice is that its certainly not advisable to walk about after dark, but you have a car and I would have thought that going to Junction in the evening, for example, would be absolutely fine.

Having your antenna stolen from the car could happen anywhere - we have been a victim of car crime in Kenya, but also in the UK and it did not stop us from driving in either place.

It seems that you have led a very restricted life while you have been there, on account of the advice given by your employer.

I maintain that you are the first person I have come across who has the opinion that Kenyan society is hostile.  Generally, the opinion is the complete opposite.

As far as the cost of accommodation and taxation are concerned, I come from the UK - one of the worlds costliest countries - so Kenya doesn't seem too bad.  Yes, property rentals are high, but as with everything else, 'shopping around' is a worthwhile exercise.

Thank You @Longonot62 for  a sober and most resounding response to the post. We need more people like you in Kenya !Karibu na ukae! Happy New Year