Renting a home in Ireland and buying land

I am thinking about living in Ireland for awhile, would prefer a more rural area or smaller town or village, would like to rent either a cottage/home or if not possible a room or flat. Liking the Galway or Cork areas or County Wicklow. Need to know how much it would cost me in American dollars for rent and am also curious about the possibility of purchasing some land where I could live, have some animals and grow some vegetables, fruits, flowers and herbs. I would not be able to come until summer or fall 2015 and photos would be nice if available, if not just need idea of prices and cost of living. My e mail is [email protected]. I live now in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I might even consider trading places to live but I am very particular and clean and organized so do not wish to return to a mess and problems! Thank you. Cathleen Butler

Gud

Hi I live in ireland since 2006 and what i can tell you is that to buy a land, any kind of land is a dream but an expensive one ... look for a house in a rural area far from the touristic ones  .... you can find houses with 1 to 3 acres of land  but not for a town house which will have at the best 100 m2 of back yard and eventually a little bit of ground at the front... you can have an idea looking at websites such as daft.ie
best of luck

Hi Cathleen, we live in County Leitrim 1 mile away from the village of Kinlough and 4 miles from the seaside town of Bundoran.  Our house is up for sale as we are moving into Sligo Town.  Have a look at the website of: Sean Meehan & Co Auctioneers. If you are interested get in touch with me at e-mail : [email protected]. Good luck with your search.

Hi Cathleen,
Galway and Cork are some of the most beautiful parts in Ireland!
Buying land tends to be easer and cheaper directly from a farmer. Before you can build anything on the land you would need planning permission....which is a whole bunch of red tape! You won't need planning permission for a 'temperory structure'.....like a shipping container or a bold down shed...

Let me know what your plans are and I can try and point you in the right direction...

Thank you, I would rather buy direct but the problem then becomes red tape to build a home, maybe could find some land with a cottage on it and might just need some up grading. I just want to have a couple of gardens, one for vegetables, one for flowers, a chicken coop and a barn. I am also looking into Ecuador, everything is so cheap there but I am Irish and the country pulls at me but am told some things may be very expensive, also my son wants to try to get a job over there with Amazon, Google or Microsoft, he has already had experience working with computers and in customer service and is an artist/animator but does not speak any other languages like I do. My e mail is [email protected]  Thank you. Cathleen

Hello Emsi,

It would be great if you post this offer in the Housing in Ireland section so that other members can have access to this information as well.

Thank you,

Shaazia
Expat.com Team