Home brew in Belize?

Here in the states, craft beers and home brewing have become a great hobby and sometimes even opened up into new brands available on local markets.  Its obvious that Belikin has a monopoly on the beer there but has anyone heard of any home brew operations or craft brews taking place there?  With access to such exotic ingredients, my head is spinning with ideas!!!!!

They sell Heineken, but in small bottles, I'd love to see another beer in a 16 oz or 32oz bottle. Frankly Belize beer sucks.

I agree.  Its not my favorite my any stretch!  I'd love to see a bar that offers a couple dozen beer choices on tap.  I searching for a business opportunity when we arrive and would like to make this happen, but can't get a grasp on the do ability.

I think the Gov. has a monopoly on the beer...non way will they let you import something good. But make something good I'll buy from you....bootleg lol

Deal!  I'll have you sample some speciality Belize brews! Gotta have a guinea pig:).
On another note, I am serious about investing some cash to start a business there.  any suggestions on what folks would like to have?

You really need for others to respond, I'm sure expats need a lot of things they can't get here.

But to own a business theres a lot of red tape to wade through here from what I understand. But I've also been told its who you know that can move things along.

But the next time I go to Jam Rock on a weekend, I'll ask around and see what some of the people have to say. By what I've heard from some others, Belize is starting to sour on having so many expats here.

In MHO I think you are going to Belize with the wrong attitude. In saying that, Corazol, AC and Plancentcis is full of retired expats who want to live a recluse life and just socialize with other expats. If there are things they want that are not readily available they will travel to Chetamal or import it from the US.

You need to go to Belize and live there for a year or two away from the expat areas. You will soon learn what Belize needs and how your intentions could benefit the Belizean's more and not the Expat population.

Belizean's have very little money to spend. You will see that in the grocery stores everything such as sugar, flour, spices, rice and even dog food are brought in to the country in large sacks and then opened and put into small plastic bags for resale. This is done because Belizean's have little money and will buy what they need for just one or two meals.

Belizean's need help with being able to sell there crops. Most will grow crops but have no way to get there goods to market. In most cases the markets are very far from their villages.

I think Belizean's could benefit from help of expats with forming farmer's co-op's and fish markets where they can sell their goods to.

Just my thoughts

canadianbcgirl wrote:

In MHO I think you are going to Belize with the wrong attitude. In saying that, Corazol, AC and Plancentcis is full of retired expats who want to live a recluse life and just socialize with other expats. If there are things they want that are not readily available they will travel to Chetamal or import it from the US.

I missed the part where somebody inferred what you are saying. But I'm interested in how you import something from the U.S. and customs will allow you to do so.

I'd love to do my shopping on line, and have the things I want just mailed to me. I don't hardly see an advantage to driving to Mexico every time I need something.

You can import anything you want from the US. You will have to obtain a broker for large items. You can purchase off line from Amazon as they will ship to Belize.

As for duties, you should read up on the Belize Customs and duty rates. Its on line

What you are saying is I can have items shipped directly to the post office in Corozal.

Food, booze, tobacco.

Kinda jumping the gun here Canadian, but I can assure you my intentions are not to snatch the recluses out of their sea side shells and expose them to oversized malls or anything else that's offensive. I have been to numerous areas in Belize and spend time there, shopped in the grocery markets and interacted with expats and locals. I am aware that the needs in every area are different. I'm simply asking for your opinion on what you'd like to have in the area in which you live. I am aware of red tape and government interference....after all I live in US!   As for going to Chatumel every time they wanted something that's not locally available is great, for those who wish to do that. I personally don't care for the idea, after all a simpler life is just that.... If Walmart and Sams are that important then stay in your modern world and not in Belize.  There are more restaurants and hotels than I care to count but I'm sure other industry is needed.  Here in Alabama my family has a produce farm that generates income and food for us and my significant other in an Attorney who can offer professional services.  We are far from becoming reclusive retirees and want to be productive citizens in Belize so if in your honest opinion this the wrong attitude, I have some land in South Alabama I'd like to sell you before we leave!

The basics of life are here.  My observation is that many expats come here but interact only with other expats.  I also think that most of the expats are typical retirees with limited resources, who long ago purchased everything they wanted or needed.  The Mennonite community does most of the growing and selling of produce.  The Chinese have bought passports all over the Caribbean (including Belize) & have a monopoly on the grocery stores.  almost all of their goods comes from China and is of lowest possible quality. 

If a person had the capital and would invest in a program to develop and market solar or wind power which would have a global market, they could benefit themselves and the country.  While I am saying it poorly, my observation is that the only opportunity for a successful business is one where there is a world market for the goods.  There is NO local market beyond bare necessities.

There is someone on AC who finally was able to become legal to sell Brew beer to  a few local places, took a few years to make this happen. I am not sure what all the rules are he has to follow but he is legal to brew beer. You can taste it at Lola's Pub

Thanks for the info!  I'll definitely get by there to get some of that.  Home brewing has just recently be came legal here, up to a certain volume, so its always a good idea to feel out how things work in other places.

Hi there,  solar power equipment is readily available to purchase from smaller suppliers, however BEB would not allow you to sell the  surplus energy to others, ie a guy on Caye Caulker has wind power and cannot sell the surplus. Its the same all over the world monopolies want to hang on to the money.

Oooh!  I hope so!  That sounds like a great business venture!

Do you happen to know what the brewing limits are? Seems like ingredients are tough to locate still. Grains, hops... anyone have suggestions on where to purchase?

Not sure on brewing limits  or where the independent people brewing on AC get their supplies.

I have checked with my customs broker about importing alcoholic beverages.
Beer ,Wine and other alcoholic beverages can be imported.
Importing Wine do not require any special permission,  about BZ$ 57 ( taxes) /1 gallon plus 2 % environmental tax.
Others need permit from a government agency .(I forgot name of the agency ) I can look up the name of agency and post it here.

I also have an interest in this, but have not pursued it yet. I am not interested, really, in starting a brewery for profit, I just want to be able to brew my own beer, in part, so I can have options. My impression from talking to locals is that the government controls the beer industry  -which is just Belkin, and because of the import laws, other beers are hard to come by. However, last I was there, I was able to buy some Guinness and Red Stripe, which was a nice change. I am also under the impression that home-brewing is illegal in Belize - it has only recently become legal where I live in the US, which is also Alabama, so not a big shock.
I don't think the importation of the apapratus would be an issue, but the importation of the grain and/or hops might be. I may look into some of the details of this when I return in the spring. Spiceman could definitely supply some flavorings for the brews!