New Indonesia online guide

Hello everyone!

Do you intend to move to Indonesia? Or have you just settled there?

We are pleased to inform you that we have just updated the Living in Indonesia guide.

In fact, we have added fresh articles regarding various aspects of relocation and every day life in Indonesia: travel formalities, required visas, labor market, accommodation, studies, health care, tax, communication, leisure, etc. Our aim is to help you better prepare your expatriation to Indonesia and succeed in your endeavor.

You can read these articles by clicking on the following links:

Generalities
Discover Indonesia

Formalities
Traveling to Indonesia

Visas
Visas for Indonesia
Retirement visa in Indonesia

Work
Work in Indonesia
Work in Bali
Work in Jakarta
Work in Surabaya
Work in Medan
Work in Java
Internships in Indonesia
Setting up a business in Indonesia

Accommodation
Accommodation in Indonesia
Accommodation in Bali
Accommodation in Jakarta
Accommodation in Medan
Accommodation in Surabaya

Study
Study in Indonesia

Health care
Health care in Indonesia

Banks
Opening a bank account in Indonesia

Tax
Tax in Indonesia

Transports
Transports in Indonesia

Driver's license
Driving in Indonesia

Removal
Moving to Indonesia

Communications
Phones and Internet in Indonesia
Useful contacts in Indonesia

Leisure
Leisure in Indonesia

Miscellaneous
Lifestyle in Indonesia
Traveling to Indonesia with your pet

Feel free to post your comments or to write an article in the guide so as to give out useful tips to future expats in Indonesia. You can also share the articles with your friends on social networks.

If you wish to share your expat experience in Indonesia, you can contact us here or by private message to participate in the Interviews section.

Have a nice reading!

Hi EB team,

Nice job but in regards of the different visa's there are informations which are not correct same in regards of the article about work in Indonesia.

Will try to correct when my time permits in between, in fact I just send my correction on the "work in Indonesia" article but somehow it disappeared  :sosad:

Hello happyhour!

Your comment has just been validated and is now online.  :)

Regarding the articles, the writer has gathered information from official sources. But there might as well be some loopholes which you can fill in with your useful comments and tips.

I'll be contacting you shortly by private message.

Regards,
Veedushi
Expat.com Team

Thank you this is very useful information.

Lots of things have changed recently so everybody should be alerted if the intention is to work in Indonesia.

One glaring error that I noticed straight out is this, concerning work in Bali:

"Bali's labor market is quite open to foreign expertise. In general, expatriates are likely to be hired in the following fields: tourism and hospitality, textile, teaching, restaurants."

Jobs in Bali are near impossible for foreigners aside for "native English language" teachers with full accreditation.  In tourism and hospitality, unless the position is with a 5 star resort as GM or Executive Chef, then forget about it.  Bali after all is home to Indonesia's best tourism college and there is no short supply of local (Indonesian) candidates.  When you see a foreigner working in a restaurant in Bali...they own it, thus they are able to get a work permit. 

As it is, this forum gets frequent requests from posters wanting to live and work in Bali.  It's a pipe dream for 99% of those who are considering working here.   

What I'm getting at is, why be so encouraging when in fact the truth is nothing like as stated in that sentence? 

This is just off the top of my head as I haven't read all that's linked in the opening post.

thanks for the information  :)