Salaries and lifestyle in PNG (PM)

Hi,

I have received an employment offer of around Australian $ 72,000 pa + company provided accommodation (approx 73,000 Australian $ pa) and company provided transport can anyone let me know whether it is a reasonable pay in PNG. Also what will be tax i have to pay there. Do i have to pay tax on benefits like company provided accommodation and transport. What amount i can save there? if i live with my wife a reasonable good life style.
Also what is law and order situation there, is it safe to come there with my wife.

If i am getting reasonably good pay elsewhere (where i can save upto Australian $ 1500) should it be good decision to move to PNG.

Thanx

Hi Qasim1!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Need your Urgent help kindly guide me..

I have received an employment offer of around Australian $ 72,000 pa + company provided accommodation (approx 73,000 Australian $ pa) and company provided transport can anyone let me know whether it is a reasonable pay in PNG. Also what will be tax i have to pay there. Do i have to pay tax on benefits like company provided accommodation and transport. What amount i can save there? if i live with my wife a reasonable good life style.
Also what is law and order situation there, is it safe to come there with my wife.

If i am getting reasonably good pay elsewhere (where i can save upto Australian $ 1500) should it be good decision to move to PNG.

Thanx

AUD $73,000 is a lot higher than the locals :)  Although if you are getting accommodation provided then your salary will only be needed for the staples (food, power etc) and holidays.  Life is very restricted in PNG - suggest you do lots of research before committing.

With Tax - you will be taxed graduated up to 42% so very high tax, then you will also be taxed on your vehicle and accommodation.  Check out the PWC website and others to give you the rates.

Law and order issues are everywhere in the world - I personally wouldn't go to Pakistan at the moment - but am fine here in PNG.  Like other cities, have your wits about you, don't put yourself into situations and you should be fine :)

I did quite a few months of research before making the commitment - you really need to make those decisions for yourself.  What is OK for me - may not be OK for you :)

cheers

I agree with birdies' assessment of the situation and would add that where you will be living/working should also play heavily into the decision. I am an older woman living in Port Moresby alone. I have been here 2 years and love it, but, as birdies pointed out, "what is OK for me - may not be OK for you".

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks Birdies and BeaAmaya for ur response/suggestion. I really appreciate them :)
Well i have accepted offer elsewhere hope thing would have been better there.

Thanks Again.

I would think that AUD$72K would be at the low end of expat salaries. You dont explain where you will be and what you will be doing so its hard to make a judgement. A bit more information would help.

Security is what you make it, be careful and dont go places that will get you into trouble. Its not the west but as a poster said above Pakistan and a whole host of countries are worse

Hi all,

i got an offer from a company in PNG, would like to know certain details.
1) How much will a decent room will cost in Port Morseby for a month ?
2) How much will be the salary for a 2 years experienced guy in SOlar Energy field ? How much will be enough after tax, travel ,car, housing if given by company ?

Pls reply. urgently needed

Regards
KSB

cancersobhan06 wrote:

Hi all,

i got an offer from a company in PNG, would like to know certain details.
1) How much will a decent room will cost in Port Morseby for a month ?
2) How much will be the salary for a 2 years experienced guy in SOlar Energy field ? How much will be enough after tax, travel ,car, housing if given by company ?

Pls reply. urgently needed

Regards
KSB

Most expat contracts in PNG include accommodation,food allowance,medical insurance cover, transport, annual travel fares home etc.
Accommodation is expensive in Moresby, and it needs to be in a secure area with full time security guards. Security is very important in Moresby or anywhere in PNG.

Cost of living is expensive too. For cost of living www.numbeo.com 

For salary try www.payscale.com

I would try negotiating with the company before taking up the job.

You could try going on line to read the local newspaper, the post courier.

Please read through other posts on this section of the forum to give you an idea of things.

hi that seems to be a good salary for you n your wife. You can save more than double what you are saving. Safety is fine. life style depends upon you what kind of you want here.

Thanks .

Uttam.

hi sobhan,
what's your offer and with which part of PNG??

utt_tri wrote:

hi that seems to be a good salary for you n your wife. You can save more than double what you are saving. Safety is fine. life style depends upon you what kind of you want here.

Thanks .

Uttam.

Your profile shows that you are living in India. Are you now in PNG.

How can you say that the cancersobhan6 can save money when he did not even say what his offer was.  Safety is not fine in PNG. 

Please do not misinform people.

Hi Uttam,
Pay is like 2000 Kina after taxes, accommodation, car etc. Food expense should be taken care. Work location Port Moresby.

Regards
Sobhan

Hi Sobhan,
2000kina is not really good here, but you will be able to save atleast 1500Kina, which is almost INR 35000 net savings to you. Now you have to decide.

Stumpy,
That was for Qasim and not for sobhan.
and unlike others in the group I will give exact information.
You have to help somebody in taking a decision, not to confuse him more whether to come to png or not.

Hi Uttam,

Thanks for the advice.

Hi,

I am talking to a micro insurance company in Port Moresby (PNG) for a job (senior position). I am not sure what salary I should demand/ negotiate. Couple of pointers:

1.1 BHK apartment should suffice in a good locality (security is imp). what will be the rent?
2. Travel by public transport to office 5 days a week
3. Would want to eat out at least 2 to 3 times per week. what is the average cost per visit?
4. How much would mobile connection and internet cost?
5. How much would I need for groceries per month (vegetarian)?

Look forward to your responses.

Thank you

S

Hi,
House and vehicle must be provided by the company. All companies do. You can't use public transport here.
Average outing is 50 to 200 PGK.
Mobile and internet would cost you around 200PGK a week and same for groceries.
For more info u can find me on FB by uttam tripathi.

Using a taxi is possible if you find a good driver, get his number and make a deal to depend on him.  You don't want to take a bus.  I agree ... most companies do provide secure transportation for expats.

Lunches runs K20-K50 ($8 USD - $20)  You can get a lot of nice meals for K20-K25, we eat a about a couple of times a week. 

Mobile connection:  3g Dongle K99 - 4g dongle K250, date cost K60 for 1.7 gb, you can buy a post paid data plan.  Cell Modem MIFI device about K250 and plans vary but 3.5 gb is about K300 a month.  See www.digicelpng.com.

Fresh fruits vegetables are not too bad,especially if you get used to going to a street market. Bread K6, 8 apples K15, potatoes 6k kilo, bananas, mango, pawpaw all in abundance.  Green beans, lettuce is expensive. 200 kina a week is more then enough for 1 person that does not buy meat.

That helps. Thank you!

Hi,
R u online?

any idea what would be the Govt tax on 50kaud

very helpful tips. much appreciated

Hello,

I've been with my company for a year now. My contract says annual increase but my employer did not confirm on my meeting with her. Also I was hired as an IT Manager in PH but they assigned me as Store manager dealing mostly with sales & quota. Our accommodation has become questionable with 4 people living in a house for 2, I don't want to go back to my employer when I return to PH for vacation in October. My contract is half served. What will happen if I don't return?