School catchment areas - any advice would be great

Hi,
So my kids are enrolled in Mosta at the moment. My daughter is enjoying K2 and my son is floundering miserably up in year 4 so we have been looking to move. We found an appartment in St Pauls but were told by the school there that there is no place in K2 for my daughter. She turns five over the Christmas break so I have been told (this bit isn't as official) that she will need to be in full time education the term after her fifth birthday. I was wondering if anyone could advise me!
Will Mosta perhaps let both/ one of the kids stay put till the summer, even if we move out of zone (I know that they are short of places in Mosta Kindie as well?).
My son wants to move but I don't think the timings would works reliably to put them in different schools that far apart, even putting him on the school bus.
Would I be allowed to withdraw my daughter till after the summer and just keep her at home with me (she would hate this as she is a social little soul)?
Thanks for any input!! :)

Hi, your daughter has to by law be in school when she is 5, either Kinder 2 or Year 1.

Your son....How bad is it, what is the problem and why do you think St. Paul's will be better....Is it the language??

Difficult situation. I believe that there is a February intake to Year 1. How many weeks would that be from when your daughter turns 5? I think it would be best to speak to the school again.

As for not being in the catchment area. I have got away with it in the past and even the school knew but I had a good relationship with St. Paul's and as it was only temporarily out of the catchment, they understood my need to not change schools, despite living in Valletta and travelling to and fro each day!

Hope this helps!!

Caroline

Thanks Caroline!
you have given me brilliant advice before - very appreciated.
I am going to suggest slotting her into K1 for the rest of the year and keep all my fingers crossed!

Good luck, I'm sure it will sort out for the best.

When my son started St. Paul's 10 years ago, there were only 5 kinder classes. There are now 10 odd. They are building a new school next year to accommodate. It's unusual for there not to be a place but the recent increase in population explains why they've had to do it!!