Hi guys!

Good day!

My name is Jerome Ungson. I'm a Project Engineer working for the SM Group of Companies. I have completed 4 projects, all related to mall construction. I've been working for my company for the past 5 years. This is also my 1st and only job since i graduated Civil Engineering from college. I am 27 years old.

Since i was in college, Canada has always my go-to destination when I plan migrate. I've only heard good things about this country. The people, the places and even the weather (yes, i do like the cold). I've been reading online about how I migrate there and I can say that I'm having a hard time. There is so much reading material and every website are different.

I read that having relatives already migrated would help but the problem is I don't. Also, it also states that for a professional like me, it would be best to look for an employer 1st and then process my papers. Problem is, every employer I've sent my resume to has not replied. I seriously don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I was hoping someone on this forum could help me. I plan to migrate to Canada on the nearest possible opportunity. Early next year (2015) would be ideal for me.

Thank you guys in advance. You can reach me on my personal e-mail address posted below. Please do not hesitate. Any information which you may find helpful are welcome.

Regards,
Jerome F. Ungson
[email protected]

Welcome to Expat.com Jerome,

My name is Philip and I've been living in Canada for 5 years now. My advise to folks like yourself wanting to move to Canada has always been as follows:
There's an easy and safe way or a long and uncertain way. The former requires you to hire the services of an immigration lawyer (legit one of course) who will assist you in navigating the ever complicated process to attaining your dream of coming to Canada as a landed immigrant. The later on the other hand is you going at it on your own. Note, I do not discount the fact that you may be intelligent enough to figure out the content and information online and fill up the forms on your own - but speaking from experiences, there are nuances within the process of application that does not reveal itself through information readily available online. These information are only known by experience and good immigration lawyers. Your investment (the application fee) is already expensive enough, thus, what is the lawyer fees, then to consider it as an insurance.

Also on getting a job first and then having your new Canadian employer help out with your move over here rarely happens unless you posses a very sought after skill set. Unfortunately the O&G sector is not looking as rosy it use to because of the drop in world oil price, so expect low hiring of foreigners into that industry. I stumbled upon a fellow pinoy like yourself which did come over to Alberta with a job unhand already earlier this year. But if I am not mistaken that's for a blue collar job and before the drop in oil price

Hi Philip!

Thank you for the reply. I too considered hiring an immigration lawyer.

If anybody can refer me to a good immigration lawyer it would be very helpful. It would be a big investment for a person like me and i would just like to be assured. I trust the people in this community. They have done nothing but help me since i joined. Thank you.

I would also like to hear about your experiences about this lawyer (if you've used one).

PM me and we'll chat there...