English to Spanish translation

Hello, I am seeking someone to translate about 66,000 words of English text into Spanish. I do not want to part with the digital file, so need the person to come to my house in Quito and type it into my computer. Since most offices in Quito are closed until the 1st of Jan, if there is someone with good knowledge on both English and Spanish, and wants to earn some quick money, please contact me urgently on kohlisamir(@) hotmail.com. in addition to the monetary compensation that we will agree on, I will also provide meals and tea/coffee during the hours he/she will work at my house.

Have you consider that the translation will need to be notarized?

If you find someone who can translate for you, I highly recomend that you be sure has residence visa or is Ecuadorian; otherwise the gov oficce will refuse it. Because people with a T3 visa cant work in the country.

Also, you can find someone who can do it by internet and just send to you the doc, copy of cedula, certificado de votacion (if is Ecuadorian) visa/passport copy Everything in color.

Don't need  notarisation. Is private document.  Like I said, don't want to give out the digital file for private reasons.  So if you know someone that can come to my house and typein the translation directly into my computer, please ask them to contact me. Thanks.

You can actually get a fairly good initial translation using Google's online digital translation service. Invariably, some polishing is required.

http://translate.google.com/#en/es/

Thanks. Google translate is good for small phrases... but really messes up grammar and cannot get contextual words correct... especially where a word could mean very different die to it's position in the sentence. No sir, I really need a native Spanish speaker to do this for me.

Hi Sam.

Google Translate is actually quite good, even with lengthy documents. My father (anthropologist ... will be 90 years old in April 2014) just published his latest work (826 pages). I'm taking on the responsibility of translating it into Spanish. Upon submitting the full document to Google Translate, it took less than a second to reap the free results. Note that for a fee, Google offers translation polishing by native speakers/writers. As I indicated in my former post, polishing is always required for machine translations.

Here is a small sample of my father's writing, followed by the version offered by Google Translate:

A specific example is that “the many biblical passages that mention city gates—not as part of any deliberate propaganda, but simply offhand—fit remarkably well with [what we have learned from] excavated gates at a number of sites of the 10th–7th centuries, and only of this period . . . .  No writer living [centuries later] could have ‘invented' [references to] city gates like [these], known only long before.” Since these “convergences” occur at point after point, he concludes that the original books of the Hebrew scripture had to have been written by men who were eyewitnesses of the particular realities their accounts report or reflect.

A similar method has been employed for the last 50 years to argue for the authenticity of that portion (the first 7% or so of the text) of the Book of Mormon that deals with events in the ancient Near East dating near 600 BC. Hugh Nibley, first in book form in 1952, discussed parallels between statements in the first part of the Nephite scripture and data from secular scholarship on life in the ancient Near East. Over the last half-century other researchers have also pursued this line of inquiry.

Of course there are formidable problems in such analysis. Even at best documentary history tells us only part of “what happened” in the past. For instance the Hebrew document gives us only minimal information about social condition among the Israelites themselves, as well as their relations to the neighboring Canaanites, Philistines, and Amorites.

Any picture of ancient societies coming from archaeology also remains partial. After all, most of the material archaeologists study was ancient garbage, and there are unavoidable problems of omission in reconstructing history from trash. Furthermore, excavation yields information only by inference; it never “tells its own story.” In any case only a fraction of the material that was left behind by ancient peoples ever gets discovered and then interpreted by archaeologists.

Most archaeologists too readily speak as if their data were complete and their inferences were facts.  But highly reputable archaeologists warn that the archaeological record contains few facts as such. But over the years, archaeologists have built up a series of inferences about the meaning of the archaeological record; yet they never know for sure if their interpretation of the record is built on a solid foundation of knowledge or only on a quicksand of guesses and speculation.

_____

Translated version of codex_test.txt
_____

Un ejemplo concreto es que "los muchos pasajes bíblicos que mencionan a la ciudad las puertas, no como parte de una propaganda deliberada, sino simplemente brusco ajuste muy bien con [lo que hemos aprendido de] puertas excavadas en varios sitios de la décimo-séptima siglos, y sólo de este período. . . . Ningún escritor que vive [siglos después] podrían haber "inventado" [referencias] puertas de la ciudad, como [ellos], sólo conocido mucho antes. "Dado que estos" convergencias "ocurren en el punto después del punto, concluye que los libros originales de la Escritura Hebrea tuvo que haber sido escrita por hombres que fueron testigos oculares de las realidades particulares de sus cuentas informan o reflejan.

Un método similar se ha empleado durante los últimos 50 años para argumentar a favor de la autenticidad de esa parte (la primera el 7% o menos del texto) del Libro de Mormón que se ocupa de los acontecimientos en el Oriente Próximo antiguo que data cerca del año 600 aC. Hugh Nibley, por primera vez en forma de libro en 1952, discutió paralelismos entre las declaraciones en la primera parte de la escritura nefita y los datos de la beca secular sobre la vida en el antiguo Cercano Oriente. Durante los últimos cincuenta años otros investigadores también han seguido esta línea de investigación.

Por supuesto que hay enormes problemas en este tipo de análisis. Incluso en el mejor de la historia documental nos dice sólo una parte de "lo que ocurrió" en el pasado. Por ejemplo, el documento hebreo nos da información mínima acerca de la condición social entre los israelitas mismos, así como sus relaciones con los vecinos cananeos, filisteos, amorreos.
Cualquier imagen de las sociedades antiguas procedentes de la arqueología también sigue siendo parcial.

Después de todo, la mayor parte del estudio de los arqueólogos material era antigua de basura, y hay problemas inevitables de omisión en la reconstrucción de la historia de la basura. Por otra parte, la excavación se obtiene información sólo por inferencia, nunca "cuenta su propia historia." En todo caso, sólo una fracción del material que fue dejado por los pueblos antiguos consigue siempre descubierto y luego interpretados por los arqueólogos.

La mayoría de los arqueólogos hablan con demasiada facilidad como si sus datos son completos y sus inferencias fueron hechos. Pero los arqueólogos de reconocido prestigio advierten que el registro arqueológico contiene algunos hechos como tales. Pero con los años, los arqueólogos han construido una serie de inferencias sobre el significado de los registros arqueológicos, sin embargo, nunca se sabe a ciencia cierta si su interpretación del registro está construido sobre una base sólida de conocimiento o sólo en las arenas movedizas de conjeturas y especulaciones

As you can see, very little adjustment (human interface) is required to realize a very positive translation.

thanks. what did it cost you to polish these 826 pages? I am talking of only about 200 pages...

I'm doing the post-digital processing myself (so it's free for my father). I have no clue what Google might charge. As you can see, the initial translation is quite good.

Ok. So here is a new question.  Is there someone here that will like to take on this post-processing for me?

http://abstranslate.com/certified-promotionhttps://www.strakertranslations.com/?ag … fgodRlYAZghttp://www.onehourtranslation.com/

Sam:

There are several free-lance sites on the web, where you can post a job description and free-lancers tell you what they would charge you to do it. I know of odesk.com and freelancer.com (I've investigated them a bit for writing opportunities). I think they might work quite well for a translation or polishing job of this type. Good luck.

Bob

Thank you so much Bob. I am really grateful for your advice and time.  I will try out both these sources today.  Thank you once again.

:) Hello,
I am a resident in Quito and am fluent in many languages.  I am available for translation, trips in Quito and the surrounding 2 hour radius via a Toyota Landcruiser that is well maintained.  I can seat 4 people at a time.  Also, if you are new to Quito my wife and I can take you to the open air markets and point out crucial details for new comers.  We can also recommend an excellent attorney that we used.  My wife is an American Indian and is also very in tune with the native culture, dress, and blending in.  To reach me reply in email to my profile.  Expect a 1-2 day turn around for scheduling as I am busy.

Have a blessed day.

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : please register in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello Sir,

I have sent you my CV for your consideration to the email you request.

Best regards,

Cecilia