Living in Cambodia and possibility to get a Retirement Visa there

i will be coming to visit in december

sounds like Cambodia is a much better choice than Thailand. better cost of living. (compared to Phuket), no visa bullshit. the language appears easier (no tones like in Thai although maybe harder to read/write),  less bars and people seem more genuine?

I am in Phuket now for 1.5 years and considering my options in Southeast Asia

Hi.

Cambodia is a pretty good choice since almost everything is imported, people in the cities do have money to spend and with a visa and work permit for under 500$ per year you can own and run any (legal) business you want, Sounds unbelievable but I started a business for just 11$ because I did not have more money at the time - a month later I quit my job and live since pretty good from that business... I don't know about the people, though. I lived many years in Thailand and liked it better there. The city dwellers here are pretty arrogant and reckless - that's what the locals from the villages say! I just happen to agree with them.... Unfortunately it's not easy to talk to village people since almost non of 'em speaks English...

What is the crime situation like?  The more I read the more I hear it's a rough place. Someone told me military keeps grocery stores safe.   A Cambodian told me no-one goes out after 6pm. 

Just how safe is it?

Safe just dont do stupid things , commonsense ...

>>>Wimbleton Today 06:11:12
>>>Safe just dont do stupid things , commonsense ...

Obviously that can be said just about anywhere in the world.   Have you personally had any issues?  Assuming you didn't do anything stupid of course :)

Hei, start a business with 11 USD is clever. I hesistate to ask but would be great to hear more what you do?

No such thing as a retirement visa for Cambodia....

Who are you using to transfer your funds from Australia and how? Currently living Thailand very easy, online Trf from WPac (fee$20) to BANGKOK BANK (fee 500bht) Considering living awhile in Cambodia)
Cheers
David

Dear david,

I used to advise my clients who were willing to by property here in cambodia.
First of all its a good move, i did myself transfer my money from from thailand and france, and the banking system is very flexible in cambodia, you can easily, transfer in and out, widraw, with the minimum paperwork, and without questions, ( only one line at anz bank for exemple mentioning if the money comes from selling a property, and thats the only question ).

The process is quiet simple, you need to come in cambodia or you can delegate a company, lawyer, attorney, notary, to process. If you free to come here, then applly at your arrival ( i assume you  will travel by plane ) for a business visa.
They will provide you one month, it can be extended later for 6 months or one year, without going out the country, quiet easy process cost around 295 $ for a yearly visa business multiple entries. As soon as you arrived in phnom penh; i invite you to visit few banks such laced, anz royal, ucb, and you can compare their offer.

Their all have their own regulations, but basically it cost you 0,01% of the amount transfered up to 0,03% depending of the banks. ( dont forget you might be charged too by your bank of origin, and sometimes its not that easy depending the relationship and the type of account you have on the Thai side)

Hope it helps

olivier

Thank you Olivier, Your answer was a bit vague! Does Bangkok Bank have an online facility into Cambodia via Thailand or any other Thai bank? Does ANZ (Australian bank) have an online transfer ability into Cambodia?
What Cambodian banks have online facility ?
The transfer costs from Australia WPac are a flat Au$20 irrespective of the amount, I will be driving down to maybe Poi-pet from Roiet (North East Thailand. I require very specific information on Banking, Bringing my vehicle in an assorted household items? Cambodia Visa I understand thank you. Other information is not as easy to get. If you are unable to answer any of the above can you please advise who can.
Purchase of any kind will not happen until I understand Cambodia fully.
An online facility allows me direct secure access to my accounts in Australia,and an instant transfer in any currency to my Bangkok acct in Thailand, then to a Cambodia bank.(I need that same facility in Cambodia or a Cambodian bank that offer the same service. It is most important that I find the answers before travelling to Cambodia.
Thanks
David
[email protected]

@napho

Check out this website for banking. www.anzroyal.com  they have internet banking

Bingo! Thanks Stumpy excellent referral. I'll follow it up.
Another question: Getting my Toyota from Thailand to Cambodia???? along with house hold items??
Been retired many years in Thailand, time for a change. Thinking of settling in Sihanouk Ville and renting any comments?

Ok maybe i didn't understood well; bt if you want transfer the money you need to open a bank account, and to do it the best is going to cambodia, or delegate somebody you can call my legal advisor miss CHAN she can reply all these question, but she might also charge you ( but a lot less than lawyers) her e-mail is [email protected].
Yes ANZ have online services, but you cannot open an account from outside the country. About the car if you call most virath share with her all details but most of the migrants from thailand usually sold their car before coming because taxes on car are crazy expensives ( can reach 300% of the vehicule purchased price ), Sihanouk is developing fast bt we are still far of the thai standard, depends if you like big cities with a busy side or look for a quiet place to enjoy your stay. If its the case you should go to kep and cratie too. rentals are comparable to thai prices, maybe cheaper but the the service or facilities don't have reach the thai level, wich is also charming in a way, its like you arrive in thailand 20  years ago.

just my opinion

napho wrote:

Bingo! Thanks Stumpy excellent referral. I'll follow it up.
Another question: Getting my Toyota from Thailand to Cambodia???? along with house hold items??
Been retired many years in Thailand, time for a change. Thinking of settling in Sihanouk Ville and renting any comments?

For vehicle there are import papers to be filled in. I suggest that you Google "procedure for importing vehicle from Thailand to Cambodia" I got plenty of info there including an outfit called goanna tracks. 

I would suggest you sell most of your gear and bring essentials only in the Toyota. Not sure on how you will go regarding bringing in personal items.

Google search for accommodation too. Probably best to check out guesthouses or cheaper hotels then bargain with them for a long term stay, most will do that. That gives you time to look around for something to suit you long term.

Hi Stumpy or any informed viewer; I need to bring laptop digital camera, plus drug supply for diabetes etc over a land border, what restrictions & or duties apply ? I emailed ANZ ROYAL on Monday about acct requirements, no answer yet, does ANZ ROYAL reply? or am I wasting my time with an email? Visa on entry can do?
Thanks in anticipation.
napho

Hi Everyone, I am Richard a former military health care provider- retiree who has travelled and lived in much of the world.

One thing that I notice about many of the questions in this post is the obvious inability of many to be able to do their own research to find some of the answers they seek that are readily available on the world wide web. Having said that I offer some of the following to some questions asked;

First to clarify monthly income requirement for Thailand, It is NOT $800 USD, it is 65,000 Thai Baht a month that is required. IF you use USD to figure amount at the current exchange rate of 36 Baht to USD it would be about $1,801.00 USD in required retired income a month for the Thai retiree visa and I confirmed this with my friend who is retired there in Chang Mai.

Do not forget that in some countries like Cambodia that your entire income is subject to their tax which is at a rate of around 20%. If you earn $2,000.00 USD a month that means that your income tax bill will be $400 USD or the Cambodian equivalent. I am not sure if you get a credit for payment of tax in your home country or not. I could not get a reply from the Cambodian tax board when I inquired about this. Some living there now may be able to elaborate on this.

I do know that some other countries either waive changing tax or credit payment of tax to your home country if you reside in their country or their yearly fees negate a requirement to pay tax.

As far as countries like the Philippines requiring a health exam/physical that makes real good sense since you would not want to travel to a foreign destination if you had underlying health issues since health care quality can vary just as it does here in U.S.

Being former military serving with U.S. Marines I was in very good health after I retired, but still I suffered a heart attack last year that a number of medical tests did not pick up. Fortunately I was living in Phoenix and although I suffered this event on the rail train, I was able to be transported to the County Hospital here in Phoenix which is one of the best trauma centers in the state and was provided life saving care that would not have been available if I resided elsewhere. And that is just as true anywhere else in the world. So the point is you want to consider where you will live and if you are older find out if the type of health care you require or will require regardless of age is available for you if you want to live. All countries including P.I., Thailand, Cambodia and much of rural America as well as other places have limited care available outside major cities.

Also you will want to educate yourself on the various disease threats you will likely encounter depending on where you want to live. Illness can occur anywhere. Here in the U.S. there are many disease threats to citizens from Plague to West Nile Virus and those same threats occur overseas. In the orient there are threats like rabies, multiple diseases from poorly treated water and much more. And the same sexually transmitted diseases that occur in Cambodia or Thailand or Philippines can be found at similar rates and types in many places in the U.S. or elsewhere.

You can google CIA fact book or check with CDC for information on what disease risks that are present where you want to live. But using common sense and knowing how to protect yourself and practicing good personal hygiene in addition to knowing risks will usually suffice to limit your risk

Regarding movement of personal effects or a vehicle the following web link is provided for a company called IntlMove that helps with this task and can answer questions on requirements and cost;

iship2.com/customs/moving-to-cambodia/

Cambodia is not the only country that has limited or non existent food inspection. You can find that in many places in the U.S., Thailand and Philippines. Knowing about how food borne illness occurs and how to shop and what to look for in fresh food and produce will allow you to limit your risk. And even if some food is not the freshest, if it is properly cooked that will usually kill the most serious of food borne bacteria. Knowing when red tide occurs locally is important to avoid illness due to consumption of shellfish containing the bacteria from red tide.

There is poverty everywhere in the world including here in the U.S. People who are poor have no choice and yet they often are the very people you would like to be around for they have nothing and yet remain happy and friendly despite their economic hardship. So do not disrespect or look down on them for maybe some day you will be in their shoes and need help so help them if you can.

Air pollution is in every major city including most modern countries like U.S. Even in Tokyo they wear masks to filter out the particle matter from auto and bus exhaust as well as that from industry so it is only logical that you will also find it in large and small places in third world nations and only an idiot would make negative comments that single out one place over another regarding this.

Old age care and assisted living is a new concept that is gradually catching on in the Third world which formerly simply cared for elderly within individual households. Chang Mai Thailand has one of the best facilities I have seen and word is getting out so that Europeans as well as Americans who need such care are moving there to partake of it since it is much cheaper than what it cost in other places like Europe, US and Canada. The Philippines also has one or two places but they fill up fast thanks to the low reasonable cost. Generally these places try to maintain the same high standards as ones in Europe or the U.S.

Many Americans are getting medical Care in Thailand or other places like Mexico, India and Philippines as "Medical Tourism" becomes more popular. For about a third of the cost you can get a holiday and needed medical services or surgery outside the U.S. and some insurance companies will even cover some costs depending on the company.

What most people looking to move to a foreign destination fail to realize is that they must reset their thinking about how they will live. Americas are fixated on instant gratification and demand quick prompt service and that clashes with the more laid back, friendly slower moving way of many third world nations. One of the most common complaints from people returning to the U.S. is that they found it too hard to deal with the slower pace of overseas living or the frustration of not being able to get certain services that are taken for granted in U.S. That is not the fault of the people of other countries, it is the fault of Americans (and Canadians) who expect the same thing they had in their own countries and they overlook all the wonderful things of their new destination has to offer even if it is at a slower pace. They do not get that it is the difference that makes other places so charming and desirable. And their criticism is both unfair and ignorant because of this.

You do not move to another place for the same thing, you do it because you want change and you want to enjoy life which means taking it slow and stopping to smell the flowers or share a  smile or a joke in another language. You experiment, you challenge yourself to change to better yourself and that is why you retire in Cambodia, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia or Malaysia.

Those not willing to understand and accept this will be very unhappy and should just stay where they are for they are missing all the excitement and exotic richness of a new place simply because they lack the ability to adapt and expand their horizons.

So my advice is if you expect and demand the same as what you have now where you are then stay there and do not travel. That way you are not bringing your misery to others and will not have to worry about subjecting yourself to things you are not capable of appreciating.

For those with a sense of adventure good luck and be blessed.

Richard, thanks for taking much time to pen one of the most thorough, insightful posts that I have encountered here on Expat. Your observations are precisely those that others who care not to spend the time and effort to perform independent research should consider. Especially important is the sage suggestion that USA expats & travelers MUST reframe their expectations and attitudes about service and existence in foreign lands. The USA-way is not universal nor should it be.
Excellent post.

Awesome post Richard!

Can I add you on FB?

Thank you for your kind words Mr. rlHolley.

What I wrote was heartfelt and based on my own observations as well as info from my many friends both retired military and civilian who have happily and successfully made the transition to world citizen living and exciting life in exotic lands beyond USA borders. I myself am a Vietnam veteran and despite the tragedy of the war I enjoyed the people of that country and respect their feelings and culture as well as the culture of other lands I got live and work or visit such as Thailand, Korea, Japan, Philippines and China to name a few..

Although I am proud for the most part that I am an American I am often times puzzled by the ignorance shown by my fellow citizens, especially our politicians who disparage others all to freely in their efforts to demonstrate there can be ugly Americans with ugly ethnocentric ideals that are just wrong.

I pray that some day we can all learn to respect the rights and dignity of other cultures and enjoy them to the fullest, after all in this growing world we are world citizens and much responsibility comes with that. Until we all come to that realization we will not have any right to tell others how to live nor assert that we are a beacon of democracy especially as we continue to transform to a police state with fewer true rights.

Blessings and good fortune and happiness to you and all who dwell abroad.

Richard

I have a retirement visa.   Not hard ...Come in on an ordinary Visa ...Not a tourist visa.   Go and talk with an agency as soon as you get here such as lucky.    They will do it for you painlessly.   If you have a retirement Visa you don't need a work permit.   Like everything else if you abuse it and get caught expect the consequences

Liike it said 800,000 DOLLARS GET REAL...  800,OOO BAHT IN BANK OR 800,000 BAHT INCOME OR A COMBINATION OF THE 2 THAT ADDS UP TO 800,000 BAHT.
GEEZ.

Thanks for answering me--maybe my problem is that I came in on a tourist visa...the Questura in Naples told me to go ahead and and submit my kit and then at my Questura hearing they would not let me continue...and were really really mean. I guess just bad luck, Huh?

You say there is no such thing as a retirement visa for Cambodia?  Yet someone else said there was?

Can you briefly tell me some of the requirements for a retirement visa, if you know?  "Stumpy" says there is no such thing.  I entered with a tourist visa; not sure I even know what an "ordinary" visa is.   Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I tried to get a ordinary visa but online was only option and Tisa was there only option , I was told before the first of the year you could get a retirement extension, not a visa but extension, where can I take my tvisa and get a extension? If anyone knows I will arrive 26 December please help , I contacted evisa but they refuse to pick up phone or reply to email? Thanks for help

Just Google 'Call Kim'. She is an expert in visas, retirement extensions etc, based in Phnom Penh and will advise you on how to get an online entry visa, and convert it to a retirement extension. Its easy but you have to know the right people to ask, and Kim is highly recommended. Also her fees for the service are minimal.

Now Hugh that was some fantastic advice ,

The er retirement can be applied for at the airport now 29/11/2021 it's for 30 days and is 35$ you must be over 55 and you cannot work, when in Cambodia you can extend the er retirement visa in 3-6-9-12 months at various travel agencies link world travel in daun penh is very good phone 012610468 ring him first he is very helpful, 6 & 12 month visas allow multiple visits, you cannot change a tourist visa for an ER visa, link world travel will also assist you in registering your presence in the kingdom,

Wrong advice.

You can enter Cambodia on a tourist (T or electronic) or an Ordinary visa (E aka business visa).
The latter is the one mentioned for $35 but has to be applied for at a consulate/embassy.

Once you are in country you can extend your E visa for a retirement extension of stay {EOS).

Requirements are:
Age 55+, no documentation required
Age under 55, proof of pension status required plus payments coming in from abroad.

ER extensions are 1, 3, 6 and 12 months, the one year extension costs about $300 through an agent.

1 and 3 months are single entry, 6 and 12 months are multiple entry.

It is possible to get in on a tourist visa and get an ER extension through some agents. This is only for arrivals in this year, so 30 days to go then it's over.

To repeat: there are no visas on arrival, there are no land borders open, every traveler has to have a negative PCR test, a vaccination card or other proof of being fully vaccinated, Forte insurance covering Covid.
On arrival a fast test will be done with results in about 20 minutes, if negative you're free to go.

Unvaccinated travelers can also come in but need to undergo 2 weeks quarantine in a designated hotel, a deposit of $2000 will be necessary to pay all expenses.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com