Want to rent a house in Velico Tarnovo

Has anyone in Velico Tarnovo got a property to rent. I am relocating to Bulgaria with my husband and 3 year old son, and we need a property to rent in Velico Tarnovo

Hi julial6,

great choice to move to Veliko Tyrnovo. It will be rather hard to find a property here. Your best choice is to stay in a hotel for a few days and work with the local real estate agencies. Or you can also contact them before you arrive for help. It all depends on the period you are staying for mostly. Short term rent is not the best option for property owners usually, but Veliko Tyrnovo is a place for tourism and studying and it is possible that you may find short term rental options as well!

Let me know, if I can help with some more info!

Actually, I was just looking for a place in Gabrovo (found one last week!) and all I was finding on the public listings and realtor sites were listings for VT. There were quite a few, so if you are looking for an apartment as opposed to a house, you should have your pick of places.

Hi thanks for that info.  We are staying in a hotel first, then we will be renting in Velico Tarnovo, we staying permanently.  We need to register in the police station do you know what we need to take to be able to do this?

Hi what is Gabrovo like?  We need a house with a garden as we have a 3 year old boy, we have found a kindergarten in Velico Tarnovo that he will be going to, to learn the Bulgarian language.  So we will be renting in Velico Tarnovo for at least 2 years, then maybe buy in a different area of Bulgaria.  we are coming out this month permenently, so we need to register with the police station, do you know what we need to take to be able to do this?

I like Gabrovo, but have only been there for visits, and to rent a place. I haven't spent much time in VT at all, so I cannot really compare the two, but they are close enough that you can spend time in both of them while living in VT and see which you prefer.

If you are staying at a hotel, they generally take your passport info and register you with the police. Then, once you move into a place of your own have 5 days to register short-term with the police. You take your passport and rental contract to the police station. Then, you have (I believe) three months to start the permanent residency process. You will have to renew your permit every year, for the first 3-5 years of living here. I would not rush into the permanent registration and take those three months to find a friend to go with you to translate and help you get your documents together.

For EU residents it is rather easy. I think you only need your passport and a rental contract in your name. (Although I am not 100% certain). You will also need a copy of your son's birth certificate, translated into Bulgarian. For non-eu residents you need a bank receipt showing you have 6 or 12 months of the minimum wage (345) for each family member, your visa, a copy of your criminal background check, birth certificates, marriage certificates etc. and the fee is 500 lv a year, plus 45 for your residence card and a 10lv processing fee. (For eu residents I believe most of the taxes are waived).

Finding a house to rent in Bulgaria can be a lot more difficult than finding an apartment. We were renting a house in Varna and are only now switching to an apartment- we have a 9 month old, and I also wanted the house with a yard for him. But something to keep in mind is that it is very common for Bulgarian families to raise their children in apartments... so there will probably be plenty of small playgrounds and parks near any apartment building if you end up in one. Houses are rarely given for rent (mostly just for sale) but it is possible to find one. However, apartment living has many benefits in Buglaria, including cheaper heating costs in the winter, more playmates for your child to meet etc. With the money you save renting an apartment you could go to a villa in the mountains or by the sea on most weekends to give your son plenty of outdoor time.

Just some thoughts. :) Good luck on your move.

Thanks for that information.  Have a happy christmas and new year with your 9 month old son

Uspech !!!

Adding to @kojidae - I was based in the EU before coming but still had to create a bank account, add the monthly minimum wage (350 lev or so) and then take that to the immigration place. On top of that I needed proof of insurance cover (I used my EU health card).

Sent you a PM also.