Question about Last Will written in the 1800's

Hello,
I came across a document written in 1800's, and wonder if  German inheritance documents from the 1800's have still legal effects?
Thanks for your help!

kama909 wrote:

Hello,
I came across a document written in 1800's, and wonder if  German inheritance documents from the 1800's have still legal effects?
Thanks for your help!

That sort of information is specialized and not to be found on a forum
I suggest that you find a lawyer and get him to check them over.

Good luck

Thank you for the reply! :)

Further to my friend stumpy's posting, you would need to have them checked by a lawyer in Germany who specializes in inheritance rights. Each nation has their own succession laws and an American lawyer might not necessarily know the applicable German laws, what laws have been amended or repealed since the 1800s.

Another factor is that of the assets themselves, if they've already been disbursed (which would have taken place centuries ago) they would probably be irretrievable now at any rate. Usually there is a statute of limitations where legal processes can be protested, this would have long since passed.

I think you're trying to beat a dead horse here.

I received this German document to translate (it's written in a hard to read, fancy Kurrent script), and the client, who currently lives in the US asked me, if I knew about the inheritance laws. Common sense was that the Will is just too old, and the assets  irretrievable, after so many generations. But I thought, I better get a second opinion :)

Thank you for the reply!

Exactly, the document is really not much more than an interesting piece of memorobilia.