Driving license for an Indian

Hi all,
I am planning to give theory exam for drivers license. I wanted to know if anyone could lend/sell the book required for theory exam (English).
Thanks in advance

Hi Allwyn,

Regarding this post of yours, did they provide you and document saying that you would be allowed to drive until the residence permit is issued and you apply for the Belgian one?

I have the same problem, I have an IDP and a work permit. I have the temporary registration from the ixelles commune and a company car. Can I just drive with the IDP and work permit? Or do I need to get any approvals?

Thanks and Regards,
Sharan

The law (I tried to find it in Belgian Transport Ministy website, but couldnt find the right section describing it) says if you are in Belgium for a visit, you can use the IDP along with your non-EU driving license to drive. http://www.mobilit.belgium.be/fr/circul … europeens/ contains the list of non-EU driving licenses that are recognized or can be exchanged to get a Belgian one. Unfortunately India is not in the list.

Technically, if you have a long-stay visa and you report to commune, you are not more a visitor. You are establishing residence in Belgium and so cannot legally be counted as a visitor anymore, which translates to (according to my logic) "your driving with IDP is not more legal after commune visit" :)

Still, I know many people who drive with the IDPs. In Europe, until one faces an accident or a control, and gets insurance+police involved, one doesn't realize how serious affair it is, to drive without a legally valid driving document aka license.

Hey Aneesh,

Thanks a lot for your views. I think you are right, it is more sensible to wait for a couple of months and get a Belgian license rather than drive on the IDP.

Many thanks.

Regards,
Sharan

Hello all.

I am giving my Theory Test for License B next week.

I have studied from the " Driving in Belgium from A to Z " book in English and have done the exercises from the Book and the online version exercises using a book code.

Now, there is an option on the site to give unlimited Test Exams for 2 days by using a SMS code costing 8 Euros in addition to the Book code.

My query is if the questions of this Test Exams are the same as the Exercise questions of the book and the online Exercises.

OR are they different ?

So, is it worth spending an extra 8 Euros after spending 50 Euros on the book.

Hoping to hear from someone who has gone through this situation.

Thank you.
Regards, Allwyn.

Yes..its good to practice before examination.For more details,I will share my experience with you call me @ 0465984037

Hi Aneesh, Can you please share the Information of Drivers School/Person for taking 2-3 hours Drivers test (i hold Valid Drivers License and IDP). I have got my Belgium RC last week.

My email [email protected] 
--Raghu

Hi..after two weeks i have final driving examination.Can you help me few suggestions and where i have to care and generally where peoples will do mistakes during examination.

Once you got RC,Visit any of nearer driving examination center and ask them for registration for examination.If you know Dutch-No need any preregistration directly u can visit center and pay 15 euro and attend the examination.If u donot know dutch-U need a translator-for translator will charge around 50 euro..

raghu4455 wrote:

Hi Aneesh, Can you please share the Information of Drivers School/Person for taking 2-3 hours Drivers test (i hold Valid Drivers License and IDP). I have got my Belgium RC last week.

--Raghu

Hello Raghu,

I assume you dont have a car as of now or a friends car you can make use of.. So, you have to depend on a driving school or a freelance driving instructor.

Auto Ecole Europeene (Evere - Paduwa / Meiser) and Auto Ecole Stop (Montgomery) has English speaking instructors as I know.

I will also PM you the contact number of translators (for the practicals, you may have to hire a translator also). Translators sometimes know freelance driving instructors who give lessons in their cars (cheaper than schools).

Regards
Aneesh

Hello all.

Well, I passed my Theory Exam for Driving License B (For Car) today morning.

Compared to what I had studied and practised, the test was easy and I scored 48/50. The minimum marks are 41 out of 50.

The exam cost me 15 Euros for the test, and 50 Euros for the English translation. The 50 Euros had to be paid at the time of booking the exam, almost 40 days earlier. My centre was Rue Colonel Bourg, Schaerbeek.

I used the " Driving in Belgium from A to Z" text book and the online exercises at drivinglicense-belgium.be

The book costs 50 Euros, 2014 edition. The book has all the information and a code, valid for 14 days, which can also be used to study theory and exercise online. An online test exam on the site gives you 650 test questions to practise unlimited for 2 days, and costs 8 Euros to be paid via a SMS to a phone number 3588. You phone should have that balance credit.

Now, since I have a valid Indian license, I have already booked an appointment for next week for the practical exam. Having the driving license from India for LMV (Light Motor Vehicle) means that I can give the Practical Exam directly without taking the Provisional License of 18/36 months and the mandatory 20 hrs practice from a driving school. But this I have done because I have been driving in Brussels and Belgium the past 4 months. Then, again according to Belgium rules, I cannot drive on an Indian license since I have a Resident Card and that means I should have a Belgian driving license. So what I have been doing is against the law and prohibited. I can only drive on the day of the Practical Exam to and from the centre.

Of course, I have to pay for a translator again for the Practical Test of 40 minutes. That price, I still have to find out.
Coincidentally, I have the same translator as the theory exam. The test center depends on the commune where you stay. For me, it is Schaerbeek. The same as the Theory Exam centre.

I will keep you all posted.

Bye. Regards, Allwyn.

aneeshks wrote:
raghu4455 wrote:

--Raghu

Hello Raghu,

I assume you dont have a car as of now or a friends car you can make use of.. So, you have to depend on a driving school or a freelance driving instructor.

Auto Ecole Europeene (Evere - Paduwa / Meiser) and Auto Ecole Stop (Montgomery) has English speaking instructors as I know.

I will also PM you the contact number of translators (for the practicals, you may have to hire a translator also). Translators sometimes know freelance driving instructors who give lessons in their cars (cheaper than schools).

Regards
Aneesh

freelance driving instructors who give lessons in their cars (cheaper than schools).
where can I find them?
i live in ixelles
thank you in advance :-)

Galat, I sent you a PM ..

Hello all.

I have my Driving Practical Test next week.

What are the steps involved in the test ?
Is opening the hood and seeing oil, brake oil levels, tyre wear-tear part of the test ?
My test is in Schaerbeek centre. What are the routes taken ? Is it the same for all or different for all ?
Is there motorway driving ?
Where do they check the parking? In a parking lot, on the road, between 2 cars ?

If anyone has gone through the practical test, kindly reply and elaborate.

Thanking you, Allwyn.

Thanking you

http://www.mobilit.belgium.be/fr/circul … /pratique/  details the practical examination procedures. Sorry, its only in French, but you can use google translate.

In short, this is how it goes..

1. You report in the center 15 mins before the test start time. If you already have a translator booked, he will greet you there and take you to the counter to register. Your file is made in the counter and an examiner is assigned. You are called by the examiner to the office, where he explains the basic rules of the test (translator translates it to you), examines your home country driving license (if applicable), residence card, etc and you sign a form or so. Examiner asks you to pick a token out of a set of tokens numbered 1-12 or so, which are the test routes. You get the route you pick (you see the number only after you pick the token, needless to say :) ).
2. You accompany your translator and examiner to your car. Examiner will ask some basic technical stuff about the car, for instance: how to check the oil level, brake fluid level, how to check the wear & tear of your tyres, proper functioning of turning indicators, high/low beams, brake lights, fog lamps, windscreen wipers, etc.
3. Examiner sits in the back seat normally (sometimes with you in the front seat), and translator is also present in the car. Examiner indicates which direction to go and keeps giving you directions like turn left, right, second exit on the roundabout, etc. If he does not give any direction, you always keep going straight provided you violate no rules. For example, if there is a no-entry sign in the straight road and left, you automatically turn to right, which is the only legal way forward. Most of the tracks include motorways. Test involves two maneuvers as described below.
4. Maneuver 1: Three point turn: In a two way lane, examiner instructs you to make a 3 point turn before the end of the street. You find a suitable place to make the turn, and do it without obstructing traffic, without violating any rules and without harming any pedestrians :) (You can find many youtube videos how to do this)
5. Maneuver 2: Parallel parking: Examiner indicates you to park your car (parallel parking) behind any car he points to, in any street during the course of driving. You will have ample space, dont worry. Take care to use indicators, not to climb on the verge, etc.   (You can find many youtube videos how to do this. Also, practice a lot..)
6. That's all. The above said exercises are done in the course of road driving test. Examiner will continue giving instructions till you reach the exam center back. You park the car, examiner goes inside, prepares the file and comes out with the result. If you are passed, you take the paper to your commune with 1-2 pictures to make your license. If you failed, book the next slot with the help of your translator.

If you make not-so-serious mistakes, its fine. If it is a critical mistake you make, one is enough to fail. Serious errors are 'not stopping for pedestrians', 'crossing solid white line', 'not respecting speed limits (slow driving in motorway is also a violation :)', 'not using indicators', 'technical issues - not shifting gears on time, too much clutch, hand positioning not correct on the steering wheel, etc', 'entering round about while vehicles are present', 'not respecting right of way', 'double turn - while turning from a multi lane road to another, ending up in a lane which is not the one you were in', 'not respecting signs', 'parking failure', '3 point turn failure', etc..

It is always good to take a 1-2 hours test ride with either a freelance instructor or a driving school, just to get used to how the tests look like. Attending the test is also a way :) hehe..

Good luck..

Regards
Aneesh

Hello all.

I failed my Practical Exam today at the Schaerbeek Centre.

A big puncture to my ego.

Firstly, I reached late by 20 minutes. Miscalculated the Watermael and Tervurenlaan traffic jam.

But somehow my translator got the appointment going. The centre selected the route through the computer choice and it was the local area.

The examiner made me open the hood, show the coolant area, checked the lights and then sat in beside me with the translator behind. That was fine.

After a 1-minute round, I was told to parallel park at short notice since only 1 space was available. I fouled horribly by   
not using indicator, climbing the kerb. He pointed it out and then told to move out and drive.

I drove for 15 minutes using about 20 roundabouts, 3 traffic lights and all the roads were 30,50 speed zones. I drove like I normally do giving correct priority, using indicators.

Then it was time to park at the centre and go in. After he left, the translator started talking and spoke of the various mistakes I had committed.

I entered the office and there the examiner gave me a sheet enumerating the errors which were similar to the ones I had just heard from the translator.

The mistakes were :
* Not slowing at intersections which were completely empty of traffic.
* Taking a left turn diagonally instead of a right angle at again an intersection devoid of traffic.
* Using the inside lane of a roundabout and the outside one without indication of lane change and not waiting for a distant car on the outside lane.
* Cutting the solid white line during a left turn at a traffic light. ( I didn't see this)
* And of course the parallel parking dabacle.

The point I realized from this disappointment was that one should curb their 20-year driving experience skills and stick irritatingly to the rule book for the Practical Exam.

The mistakes I committed were arguable and I did so with the examiner after I got the result. He said my driving was perfect for everyday life but not for a Driving Exam. I admitted my Parking gaffe but he said that would have been okay if the other ones had not been there.

So, that's my Practical Exam Test which I failed rather easily.

Regards, Allwyn.

Hi,By Nextweek I have practical examination.I have confussion at roundabout.Can any one guide me who haspriority and from which side .If tram is present-who has priority

Hello all.

I need confirmation on this piece of information I received yesterday.

" After passing the Theory Test in Driving for a Car, only a person having a foreign driving license can give his Practical Test anywhere in Belgium and is not limited to his registered commune areas. Also, one can give unlimited Practical tests without the intervening mandatory driving lessons.

It is only when you apply for a Provisional License at your commune that you have to take compulsory driving lessons after 2 failed attempts in the Practical Test. Because then you are in the Belgian system and are subject to their laws."

Is the above information true ?

" After passing the Theory Test in Driving for a Car, only a person having a foreign driving license can give his Practical Test anywhere in Belgium and is not limited to his registered commune areas. Also, one can give unlimited Practical tests without the intervening mandatory driving lessons."

--> TRUE

Hello all.

YES. I passed my Driving Practical Test today. On my second attempt.

Oof... what a relief.

I had failed the first time at the Schaerbeek Centre.

I will detail later. Right now, let me savour the moment.

Bye.

Regards, Allwyn.

Hi,
I have my practical driving exam coming in a few weeks in Evere. Can anyone share the number of a translator and how much do they cost?

Thanks.

Translators:

Mr. Geoffrey: +32 486 83 12 40
Mrs. Marlene: +32 486 83 00 73

Guys ,
Thanks for the very detail practical experiences, This is very useful information. I have passed theory exam and got the 36 month provisional driving license (could drive with a accompany) .I am planning to take the practical test in later week of Jan 15 at Asse driving center and would appreciate any information on this.

regards
Raman

Allwyn ,

Congrates to you on passing the exam !! .Request you to share your experience and best practices .Have you taken the test in brussels or Asse ? .Thannks in  advance for sharing the details .

Regards
Raman

can you also send me details for a freelance training?

I have cleared the theory test and want to go for the practical driving test now. I have heard that in brussels chances of clearing the practical test is very less. Can I give the test in nearby villages? If yes, where should I go and can you please send me the instructor name & contact no. whom I can contact?

Thanks in advance!

varunN wrote:

I have cleared the theory test and want to go for the practical driving test now. I have heard that in brussels chances of clearing the practical test is very less. Can I give the test in nearby villages? If yes, where should I go and can you please send me the instructor name & contact no. whom I can contact?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Varun,

The test is equally strict in all place. In Brussels, due to the complex road system, tram intersections, high traffic, etc, the chances to make error is high, which contributes to the high failure rate.

In one of the previous replies, I provided the contact numbers of two translators. One of them (not sure which one) lives close to Leuven and also works with test centers around that locality. You may call them and discuss. They may also help in securing an appointment with the test center.

Regards
Aneesh

Hi Varun,

Have u given your practical driving test? Right now I am also in the same position i.e I have cleared the theory test. Need to give practicals. Is it tough in Brussels? what is your view? If you have any contact num's please provide me.

Your reply is highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Srivarun

Hii

Can you please send me the freelance driving teachers number please. It would be a great help for me.

Thank you.

I dont have any contacts of freelance driving instructors :(

There are phone numbers of translators mentioned earlier in this thread. You may talk to them, I am sure they work with a lot of freelance instructors and must be able to help you with some pointers.

ok no problem. thank you  very much :)

Finally this is I pass my driving test. ..

Hi

I have already given the driving test 4 times at the kontich center on my Indian driving licence and failed in all my attempts. Now I plan to go  for twenty hours session and get a provisional licence . Based on this provisional licence I will be able to get a company car. But will I be able to give my driving test sooner than 3 months  based on my Indian driving licence or I will have to go through the process of waiting for  3 months before I can give an exam ?

Thanks
Gajendra

I have cleared theory test. I have valid Indian license.
Although I plan to have 3-4 hr session with training school before practical test, is it possible that I do some more practice on my own before practical test?

You can only practice with a guide with your theory pass.

Does this guide needs to be from driving school or anyone who has valid belgian license ?
Since I am not going for provisional license and will be going for directly practical test (as I have indian license), do I need to get any kind of approval?

Pktiwari wrote:

Does this guide needs to be from driving school or anyone who has valid belgian license ?
Since I am not going for provisional license and will be going for directly practical test (as I have indian license), do I need to get any kind of approval?

I remember mentioning in https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=321710 thread that the guide must be someone who held Belgian license for a period not less than 8 years.

I don't think you need any more approval than the theory passed results and the Indian driving license in original while you appear for the practical test.

Dear All,

I have been living in Belgium for past 3 years, never felt the use of car. Now with a 1 year old son, I feel car(Opting for Company Car) gives you bit more mobility especially in winters.

So background done with theory and failed thrice in practical. I have done 10 hours of driving with registered users.

The first two times I did make mistakes, but for the most recent one, I found the examiner was just rude  :dumbom:

Anyhow the reason he failed me was -
1 - Driving too much on right.
2 - On round about didn't respect the dotted line . should have done the roundabout on right.
3 - While making left, didn't give priority to vehicle coming from right, though the vehicle was > 100 mts away.

Anyhow I am p*ssed with this and was thinking of doing it in Asse. Lot of my colleagues( Belge Nationals) and indian friends are of the view that Brussels exam centers are quite demanding and tough and there's high chance of making it in Asse.

So just wanted to have your opinion on if going to Asse will really help or shall I go ahead with brussels and take more tests and finally it should be OK.

Your opinion is highly appreciated.

Just editing my previous post.

I have been living in Belgium for past 3 years, never felt the use of car. Now with a 1 year old son, I feel car(Opting for Company Car) gives you bit more mobility especially in winters.

So background done with theory and failed thrice in practical. I have done 10 hours of driving with registered school.

The first two times I did make mistakes, but for the most recent one, I found the examiner was just rude  :dumbom:

Anyhow the reason he failed(Latest Test) me was -
1 - Driving too much on right - He thought he felt scared, that at one point I could have hit the side mirrors  :/ 
2 - On round about didn't respect the dotted line . should have done the roundabout on right. But still dont see a reason for this.
3 - While making left, didn't give priority to vehicle coming from right, though the vehicle was > 100 mts away.

Rest he was satisfied with other things like maneuvers( No issues), blind spots, pedestrians, priority roads..etx..etc...

Anyhow I am p*ssed with this and was thinking of doing it in Asse. Lot of my colleagues( Belge Nationals) and indian friends are of the view that Brussels exam centers are quite demanding and tough and there's high chance of making it in Asse.

So just wanted to have your opinion on if going to Asse will really help or shall I go ahead with brussels and take more tests and finally it should be OK.

Your opinion is highly appreciated.

I see OP opened a new thread to discuss this. So we are discussing on the new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 19#2967777